Need tips for new mama

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm taking in a new mom and 4 babies (1 week) in the next few days.

I have or will get most of what they need- private room with no tight spaces, quality food for mom, KMR just in case for the babies. Bed, box, blankets, warmers, non-clump litter, and a scale.

Mom and babies will be vetted again before I get them. I know to watch for cold babies, latching, and some nipples. Obviously they'll be seen for vaccines and weigh-ins as necessary.

Any pro tips to keep them all going strong?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you got it all under control! The mom will take care of the babies so you won't need to do much except feed her. Thanks for rescuing her! Now they can have a happy life

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you got it all under control! The mom will take care of the babies so you won't need to do much except feed her. Thanks for rescuing her! Now they can have a happy life
Thank you!! I've got 9 socialized kittens under my belt, but I usually start after weaning, so no mama experience.

[I joke that I'm a fake foster, as I get them from the shelter (vetted) and send them back after 2 lbs., so it's minimal expense for me and guaranteed placement.]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll enjoy this new experience! Thanks for fostering!