Need Suggestions....

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties LOVE dry cat food! They eat any brand and drink plenty of water.

However, I’m trying to get them to transition to wet cat food. I gave the some friskier with gravy they didn’t eat the meat but slurped up the gravy.

Is there a way for me to incorporate the dry cat food they love with the “juices” of the wet cat food?

I did try to mix it - they don’t like the dry/wet mix.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feeding them pate? Since there is no gravy to slurp, I have had more success trying to get our wet food reluctant cat Gohan to eat more of it. His favorite is the Lotus pate line, and he has also had some interest in Life's Abundance (available only at Lifesabundance.com, but you can order individual cans to try.)

I've also heard others suggest crushing up the dry food and putting it on top of the wet food.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats will not eat wet or dried mixed up either.

Many cats will lick the gravy, and leave the meat for later, or not eat it at all. You can try different flavors or textures. I know in the Friskies they have shreds, meaty bits, and prime filet as well as the pate, might be they would eat one type better than the other? You can also try some other brands and see if they do better with those.

I feed both wet and dry, i think cats do need the wet for the moisture. It is harder to find a wet they like, than a dry. Keep at it, i bet you will find a few that they enjoy! :clapcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feeding them pate? Since there is no gravy to slurp, I have had more success trying to get our wet food reluctant cat Gohan to eat more of it. His favorite is the Lotus pate line, and he has also had some interest in Life's Abundance (available only at Lifesabundance.com, but you can order individual cans to try.)

I've also heard others suggest crushing up the dry food and putting it on top of the wet food.

They hate pate. Which is interesting that’s what the shelter feed them.

I haven’t tried crushing the dry cat food. Maybe I’ll give that a try. I have two cases of Dr. Elsey’s wet cat food they need to eat.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cats will not eat wet or dried mixed up either.

Many cats will lick the gravy, and leave the meat for later, or not eat it at all. You can try different flavors or textures. I know in the Friskies they have shreds, meaty bits, and prime filet as well as the pate, might be they would eat one type better than the other? You can also try some other brands and see if they do better with those.

I feed both wet and dry, i think cats do need the wet for the moisture. It is harder to find a wet they like, than a dry. Keep at it, i bet you will find a few that they enjoy! :clapcat:

I tried the Friskies meaty bits with gravy. They LOVE LOVE the gravy, but not eating the meat.

But since I know they like the “juices” I’m going to eep at it and see what I can find.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again! Have you tried any toppers like bonito flakes, or fortiflora? Shredded cheese? ...canned rinsed green beans or fresh...
Maybe heat the food a little bit and stir it to avoid any hot spots. Or add some warm to hot water and stir it up.

Last edited:

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the best results with shredded food, Marx is crazy about it. And fishy pates - but then again you have to be cautious with those.

I'm not sure what that Friskies looks like, but Marx wasn't a fan of Whiskas for example (which is basically just kibble in sauce), but does like the "real" meats (like shredded food).

It doesn't necessarily mean that your cats don't like wet, maybe it's just that brand that doesn't please them.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again! Have you tried any toppers like bonito flakes, or fortiflora? Shredded cheese? ...canned rinsed green beans or fresh...
Maybe heat the food a little bit and stir it to avoid any hots pots. Or add some warm to hot water and stir it up.

Their vet recommended fortiflora for a little diaherrea issue my boy cat is having. I’m going to order it today. But I like the idea of green beans on top of it.

Cats sure are picky!