need suggestions till Monday

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Jenn, I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to hear that Toe is home, and I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy he tinkled too.

Please give Toe a big hug from me and tell him how happy I am.

I think your new vet is wonderful, and if I were you I would use him from now on. I can not believe how much the vet bill was. I think that it was below resonable, for all that he did for Toe-Man.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
YEAHHHHH TOE!!! Thats SUCH great news!!!!! I'm so happy for you....

I don't know what the cost of living is where you are at but that is a AMAZINGLY low vet bill. Were I work is one of the cheapest Vets in the area and your bill would have been more like a 1000 dollars. I would stay with that vet and send him a big thank you card!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I am so happy to hear Toe Man is home!!

Toe Man...keep on peeing!!!!!! Jenn, it will be difficult to quit giving him extra "snacks", but just think about how much better off he will be.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Oh I am so happy to hear Toe Man is home!!

Toe Man...keep on peeing!!!!!! Jenn, it will be difficult to quit giving him extra "snacks", but just think about how much better off he will be.
Maybe you can just give him snacks that he is able to eat, I know it will be hard Jenn, but you just can't let him get sick again.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so happy for you and toe we'll keep those tcs vibes coming your way!

ruthie70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful, wonderful outcome!! I'm delighted! Here's to a speedy recovery for the little guy, he's been through a lot - you as well. This vet is worth his weight in gold for what he has done for Toe. Oh, to have a vet like him! Also, I would have expected the bill to be at least $1,000.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthie70

What a wonderful, wonderful outcome!! I'm delighted! Here's to a speedy recovery for the little guy, he's been through a lot - you as well. This vet is worth his weight in gold for what he has done for Toe. Oh, to have a vet like him! Also, I would have expected the bill to be at least $1,000.
I agree

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cost of living where I live is pretty cheap..... Since moving to Missouri [Nov 2006] we have looked and looked for a vet. I have tried 4.... The one that amputed JJ's leg is wonderful man but he is very expensive... His hospital is in a high dollar area in Kimberling City.

This doctor, Dr Carmichael, has two little clinics. Both are in little tiny country towns that are 13 miles apart. One is in Crane, Mo and the other in Billings, Mo. The one in Billings is where all his equipement is for serious cases. Crane is actually closer to us and will be where Toe goes for followups and checkups and that kind of stuff.

I saw the boarding kennels today at Billings. They are spotless. If I ever had to board my dogs I would take them there.

I like this vet better thank any I have ever gone to. He is actually into animals. You can see it in his eyes.

As far as the price, I knew it would only be around 300.00 or so on the high side. When I first took Toe, he went through all the possible scenerios with me and what "might" happen... But yep, I was still pleasantly surprised. I paid him 200.00 down when I took Toe and then today it was just 134.00..

I spent a lot of money there this week. Worm pills for 23-24 cats and shots for 10.

With him offering me 10 percent off because of the multiple animals I take care of, it tells me that he actually cares...

Juan and I have decided he is our vet... Juan has not actually met him yet. but he is going to love him.

I have Toe in his crate eating hard SD right now. He loves it. It is tiny littel dark brown pieces...

The Drontal worm pills were 4.00 each and even only charged me 2.00 for a half a tab in the animals that only took 1.5 pills and the core shots were 4.25 each which I thought was very reasonable.

I am very happy with this vet. He never once mentioned putting toe down. Never once. His attitude was to not give up. I really like that.

Jenn

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is just great Jenn, He does sound like a wonderful man, and he does sound like he loves animals. It must be wonderful to have a job that you enjoy doing.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't it be wonderful to be a vet???

I remember the man in overalls who was shoveling snow/scraping ice that first day I was there while waiting on doc to get there. He words keep ringing in my ears..

"If anyone can save your cat, it is Kevin. He is not just my vet but my friend as well"......

Those are powerful words... I told Dr Carmichael what he said while I was crying. He told me he would do his very best and he hoped he could...

And he did........

And I love my job.... I just wish it paid more. I am a police dispatcher. I have dispatched for two different departments in Arkansas. I work in Arkansas now and live in Missouri. I dispatched in Texas for 5-6 yrs before we moved to the Ozarks. That was back where we were flatlanders.....

But I've done many things. I've been a maid, sold light bulbs for a living [that was different] , roofed for one day, drove a forklight for 5 years and built computers for a while. I even went to college and got a degree in Computer networking which was nothing but a knowledge base. There are no job geared toward that any where in my area, but it's nice to know. ....... I am a multi talented woman....... hehe. All women are multi talented in my opinion. I can cook the bacon, sling the baby, worm a cat, empty the litter and keep my man happy all with a smile... hehehehe Life is a challenge... we've had hard times but they were all good times and we have always gotten through. Hard times give ya character... If everything was always easy, you wouldn't have nothing to work toward or build toward. I am looking forward to retirement however.... Got 15 years to go...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only just read this thread, JCribs and I was so worried I had to skip pages six on...I am SOOOOOO HAPPY for you and the Toe Man. I can only imagine the trial this has been for you. And I can't tell you how delighted I am on your behalf that it has such a wonderful ending!!!
God bless you!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had to take the SD off the top of the fridge. I put it inside. Angie keeps knocking it down. She wants it. She likes the way it smells.

She is a cat who if I forget and leave my cabinet open that has the bread in it, she will snag it and take it to the enclosure and eat it. She loves bread. And evidently she has her eye on Toe's SD.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just glad that he is home where he belongs with you and Juan and the rest of his family.

How is Charlie doing?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

I have had to take the SD off the top of the fridge. I put it inside. Angie keeps knocking it down. She wants it. She likes the way it smells.

She is a cat who if I forget and leave my cabinet open that has the bread in it, she will snag it and take it to the enclosure and eat it. She loves bread. And evidently she has her eye on Toe's SD.
You better put it up somewheres where she can't find it then.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie is doing good. Toe had never met him before. So charlie was very interested in Toe. Muffin was too. They all greeted him hello.

Charlie is also very very very smart. He alread knows how to open the gates in the kitchen. Something else did has confused us in addition to the kitchen gates. The crate we put him in for the large dogs is a Pet Porter Pet Mate that has double locks on it. The Walmart variety. At the top of the wire door and at the bottom thick heavy wire goes through holes. It is secure and is for 100+ lb dogs.

Yesterday it was cold and Juan and I went somewhere and put Charlie in the crate for a couple hrs while we were gone so as not to leave him outside in the cold. When we got home, he had figured out how to open it. I just don't see how he did it. Even if we had left one end not secure, he would nto have been able to squeeze out. He actually opened the crate with his teeth... When we got home, the crate was completely open. Both ends. He was happy as a lark running around the house....

I also saw him get his nose and open the gate in the kitchen. He put his nose through a slat, turn his head sideways and pulled. He used his nose like a hand. Gate came right open for him and he walked through.. I said "Charlie!" and he reopened it and went back through it and looked like he felt ashamed.. Emma is smart but charlie is humanoid...

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

Charlie is doing good. Toe had never met him before. So charlie was very interested in Toe.

charlie is also very very very smart. He alread knows how to open the gates in the kitchen. Something else he did has confused us. The crate we put him in for the large dogs is a Pet Porter Pet Mate that has double locks on it. At the top of the wire door and at the bottom. It is secure.

Yesterday it was cold and Juan and I went somewhere and put Charlie in the crate for a couple hrs while we were gone. When we got home, he had figured otu how to open it. I just don't see how he did it. Even if we had left one end not secure, he would nto have been able to squeeze out. He actually opened the crate with his teeth...

I saw him get his nose and open the gate in the kitchen. He put his nose through a hole, turn his head sideways and pulled. Gate came right open for him and he walked through.. I said "Charlie!" and he reopened it and went back through it and looked like he felt ashamed.. Emma is smart but charlie is humanoid...
I am glad to hear that he is doing good, and I am glad that he is soooooooooooooooooooo smart.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most women are great multitaskers. You have to be nowadays. I am only 21 and look at all the things I have accomplished. I am a vet assistant, I just became an EMT and am going to school to become a paramedic. I am married, we have our own house, and 9 little fur children. Most of them have special needs. (we also have 2 turtles and a snake) I have to keep track of who needs what meds when. I also do my best to keep the house tidy. (it can get REALLY hard working full time and going to school full time) BUT you find ways to make it work.

I can only IMAGINE how hard it is for you Jcribbs. You have SOOOO many more little ones to look after, medicate, and work with. PLUS all of the "everyday" things. I really admire what you are doing for the feral cats you have. I wish I had the time and money to do what you do.

My dream would be to one day open up my own shelter for "special needs" animals. Everyone overlooks the feral cats, FIV and FeLV + cats, the ones with diabetes or any other problems. Not everyone has a heart big enough to fight fight for them.

I'm glad you have a big enough heart to fight for all your little kitties!

Once again, I'm so happy your baby is finally home with you!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most women are great multitaskers. You have to be nowadays. I am only 21 and look at all the things I have accomplished. I am a vet assistant, I just became an EMT and am going to school to become a paramedic. I am married, we have our own house, and 9 little fur children. Most of them have special needs. (we also have 2 turtles and a snake) I have to keep track of who needs what meds when. I also do my best to keep the house tidy. (it can get REALLY hard working full time and going to school full time) BUT you find ways to make it work.

I can only IMAGINE how hard it is for you Jcribbs. You have SOOOO many more little ones to look after, medicate, and work with. PLUS all of the "everyday" things. I really admire what you are doing for the feral cats you have. I wish I had the time and money to do what you do.

My dream would be to one day open up my own shelter for "special needs" animals. Everyone overlooks the feral cats, FIV and FeLV + cats, the ones with diabetes or any other problems. Not everyone has a heart big enough to fight fight for them.

I'm glad you have a big enough heart to fight for all your little kitties!

Once again, I'm so happy your baby is finally home with you!
For a 21 year old, you are amazing!!!
I am absolutely impressed. Good luck with your paramedic training!!!
l know working full time and going to school full time is hard. I know it is. But it will pay off Shorty. Keep up the good work. I love to see young people so motivated to do good. You are on a good track of life and I for one am very proud of ya..... Way to go!!!!
Keep your eye on your goal and it will always get closer.. I am truely impressed...... And something else... It takes a special person to work with special needs animals. Everyone wants that perfect pet. The most grateful animals are the special needs animals. They are so loyal and so devoted..

Jenn