need suggestion for cat door for inside walls

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I'm usually in the feral group, but now my barn ferals have all learned to come in and out of my doggie doors. so I guess they are now "tamed" cats. lol. they sleep in bed with us and are part of the family. My delimia is that my daughter and son in law are moving in with us for a while and they will have the back part of the house. Instead of putting a door between what is going to be the bedroom and the living room, I just want to put a cat door in the wall so their 2 cats can wonder around both rooms as they want to. Also, 2 of my ferals..not... stay in that part of the house most of the time. I don't want ay of them locked into one room for hrs, so some type of cat/doggie door would be great. It has to be for a wall and not a door. I've seen the arched one that has the brushes for it, but it says it's for doors. has anyone ever used it in a wall or have any other suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Mary,
Owned by OC (orange cat), gray cat, fuzzy, smooth, smoke, bella, cleo,
dogs, 3 rescues
horses 3 , 1 rescue

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought one for another purpose - I bought a microchip cat door - essentially, a door that reads microchips and unlock only to those programmed microchips. Anyways, this one can be installed in doors and walls - it has an adapter for walls, you just install the adapter or adapters depending how thick your wall is. I would imagine other cat doors have the same thing as well, I don't see why not...
By the way, the reason why I bought this, is one of my cats, Lucky, eats a different food from the other 3, so I want to give her access to her food at all times and keep the others safe (the others are on a prescription allergenic food). I am installing on a piece of furniture

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.petdoors.com/pet-doors-for-walls.html
Pet Doors to Install in Walls

has a lot of good pictures too.

The result of my Google Search :cat doors for walls - hope this link works for you: http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

When we were socializing our feral born cats we put a door in the garage side door - of course other cats found their way inside, too

Now, we have all four inside the house full time, and my husband made an outside enclosure for them, we put a cat door in a room window for them to have access to the enclosure.

They did have to learn how to go through the flap - it seems to be important that they can see through it, too - at first I just taped the clear plastic flap open so they could use the door without the flap ... anyway, now they run full speed through the flap - it's cute to watch, and to see how quickly they learn to adapt.

You may have to adjust the plastic flap so it's not so hard to push open. Our door has a set of magnets in the plastic flap, and a set in the frame of the door so I lightly taped the magnets so they wouldn't hold the flap closed so strongly.

The petdoors.com link gives pretty good instructions on installation of the in-wall door.
If you want to close the door, the doors usually have a lock - or, in our case, our door has a plastic panel that slides into the door frame to keep the door closed.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dh installed one inside a wall before. It can be done and it looked professional. Another family member hired someone to install a very nice larger one despite the brick in their home, it looked super!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you all for your great advice. I've checked the links and it seems to have just what I need. I don't know why when I googled it I didn't get the links. What is so funny about this whole situation is that I have never liked cats. Go figure. I've always rescued older doxi dogs. the ones that no one wanted because of age or something else that makes them less then perfect. So we moved to Va, got a small horse farm and needed cats for the barn. so I contacted a feral group and got a couple of pure black girls. then had been TNR'd group. so that was the beginning. then a little gray showed up and it was 5 months before anyone else saw her. her name is Gray Cat. she is one of the ones in the house. then an big orange male showed up minus one eye. I had him nutuered and he was the first one to learn the doggie door, at 2:00am no less. Scared the life out of me when he jumped on the bed. he weights almost 25 lbs and he is hugh. so now he has the right side of my pillow and fuzzy, one of the first has the other side. then we found another one and called her smoke and she's an indoor one who discovered the doggie door to get out. then I fostered 2 calicos and they both use the door as needed, so with daughter and her hubby and their 2 little girls moving in I've got to do something to keep her two from coming out of the back of the house. and if I put in the wall door, her two and my two that live back there, can run between the two rooms and feel more at home. Oh..i forgot to mention...along with all the cats in bed with us are our 3 dogs. and they all have to touch me. lol. oh well, love them all so much. they are my babies.
If you can think of anything else I could do please let me know.
mary

royan9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes i think you should do this so that your family cannot disturb with the cat and cat remain separate and in a good position.
_______
Royan9

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lostmary

thank you all for your great advice. I've checked the links and it seems to have just what I need. I don't know why when I googled it I didn't get the links. What is so funny about this whole situation is that I have never liked cats. Go figure. I've always rescued older doxi dogs. the ones that no one wanted because of age or something else that makes them less then perfect. So we moved to Va, got a small horse farm and needed cats for the barn. so I contacted a feral group and got a couple of pure black girls. then had been TNR'd group. so that was the beginning. then a little gray showed up and it was 5 months before anyone else saw her. her name is Gray Cat. she is one of the ones in the house. then an big orange male showed up minus one eye. I had him nutuered and he was the first one to learn the doggie door, at 2:00am no less. Scared the life out of me when he jumped on the bed. he weights almost 25 lbs and he is hugh. so now he has the right side of my pillow and fuzzy, one of the first has the other side. then we found another one and called her smoke and she's an indoor one who discovered the doggie door to get out. then I fostered 2 calicos and they both use the door as needed, so with daughter and her hubby and their 2 little girls moving in I've got to do something to keep her two from coming out of the back of the house. and if I put in the wall door, her two and my two that live back there, can run between the two rooms and feel more at home. Oh..i forgot to mention...along with all the cats in bed with us are our 3 dogs. and they all have to touch me. lol. oh well, love them all so much. they are my babies.
If you can think of anything else I could do please let me know.
mary
Mary - you have a great story - I guess cats do bring out the best in us if we're willing to let them.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two indoor cat doors, one is in a door and one is in a wall. The one in the wall is made by Staywell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, I found a couple that are in the budget and will work great with my daughters 2 girls. I was thinking that we should take the door itself off, or just not put it on. My girls/boy are almost all from feral groups, so they are much more experienced on being outside when they need to be. my daughters two are not. they were cats that couldnt be adopted at the petstore adopt a pet as they were so stressed out going that one started pulling her fur out. the ppl with the adoption group as me to see if daughter wanted her. of course she did, then stressed over getting another one. she go another girl and now they are best friends. yes, everyone is spayed/nutered. I don't want to see more kittens die outside due to my not doing what Ihave to do. luckly the dogs all love the cats,(could be because the cats are bigger then they are lol). all my kids know how to get around with the horses on our farm. Oh yeah, I also foster senior horses, I take them in till they pass. these are ones that gave a lifetime of service to humans, taking unknown abuse and now that they don't have teeth left, have arthritis, cushings, etc, no one wants them. they get sold for slaughter. so rescue groups take them and foster them out. so that what else I do. I'm just glad I don't have to work outside the house. I don't think I would have time to keep everything clean and fed and loved if I did.

thanks for everyones advice. I really count on everyone here to help me through this newest quest into being owned by another group. lol
mary