Need some serious advice on trying to keep kitten INDOORS

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Found-it,Thanks!:wavey:

I-thought-catspaw66-was-trying-to-tell-me-about-some-rule,I-was-not-aware-of,LOL,when-he-said-this-is-an-anti-spray-site.

I-don't-know-who-Mary-Ann-Miller-is,and-what-she-wrote,is-just-her-opinion.She-obviously-knows-nothing-about-show-cats,and-I-don't-understand-what-a-Turkish-Angora-has-to-do-with-the-subject.

She-is-viewing-spraying-as-a-punishment,and-its-not,its-a-training-tool,and-that-is-my-opinion.Her-reasoning-and-logics-are-her-opinions,and-in-my-opinion,she-is-wrong.:wavey: :high5:
First off, Mary Anne Miller is one of the original founding members of TCS and a very important part of getting the site off the ground. Secondly, Turkish Vans love water and that is why she mentioned that in her article. Thirdly, Catspaw is right when he says that we are an "anti-spray site" meaning that we do not approve of using squirt bottles to discipline cats. It doesn't mean that you can't do it and if you do use squirt bottles that you are breaking a rule here on site.. :rolleyes: It just means that we don't agree with the idea.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
This article has been recently revised and should make for an interesting read, I believe.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/get-off-how-to-discourage-your-cat-from-jumping-on-counters

It's not about keeping kittens indoors, but it does deal with the principles of negative reinforcement. I think it helps explain why water squirting is not a good idea, not because it won't get the desired result (it may, in some cases), but because it can be stressful for the cat.

That's why it's more or less an "official" TCS position. We put the cat's welfare first, and while other opinions are allowed and discussions always welcome, we do make a point of endorsing only behavioral modification methods that we think are the least stressful to cats 

We, by the way, is myself, the site owner, and the people who are asked to join our team: moderators, advisors and mentors (they are all volunteers). One of the criteria for me when asking people to join the team is their views on cat care. I do hope this clarifies things a little.