Need some new treats!

Jessica_Merlin_Meep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm starting some essential training with my cat (teaching him some cue calls to redirect passive aggression) and he is not food motivated at all. What are some of your cats favorite tasty treats that they just can't resist? He is so hard to please!

Attachments

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For clicker training, I currently use PureBite freeze dried shrimp. They're quite small, so perfect when you need to treat 10 times in a row. If I didn't feed them individually, my kitty would snarf a whole handful of them in an instant. I think she likes them because they are crunchy and they are stinky.

Ana74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Temptations, I don’t think the ingredients are great but kitties love their catnip flavor. My Zone Blue, chicken treats are a kitties favorite too, better ingredients and raw freeze dried. Also you can boil some chicken breast and see if your kitty likes it 😜

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Temptations, I don’t think the ingredients are great but kitties love their catnip flavor.

There's a thread here on TCS about how harmful Temptations treats are. Not sure if it's just the brand or one (or more) of the ingredients. With any treat, moderation is best.

There's a recent thread about treats: Would like to introduce my kitten to treats, any recommendations?

You don't need to give a food reward to train any animal. A reward of a toy or catnip or a brushing works. The key is constant reinforcement of the expected response with something positive.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started giving 1/2 my cats the Temptations at bedtime, boy they would gobble them in seconds. But I decided to stop giving them after Christmas..they aren’t good for them every day....I would buy them when on sale so I have some pouches left but will only give them once in awhile.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I was training Neko-chan to use her scratching post instead of the couch, I used salmon pure bites. She loves them because she gets fishy foods only for her birthday and holidays.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try small pieces of shaved deli turkey, my cats love that. I quit giving Temptations, (boy, they dearly LOVED those!) because they are too fat anyway and if one grabbed anothers', too many gave them diarrhea. that happened three times, so I quit.

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of cat treats made of single ingredient freeze dried meat that are really good, like the PureBites a couple people have mentioned. My cats have loved both the Life Essentials and the Whole Life Pet freeze dried chicken. Freeze dried treats are nice because they're not too calorie heavy and can be broken into small pieces so you can give a lot for training!

Kiyangoin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At petco they have freeze dried sprat (a small bait fish) - I found it in the dog section but thought what the hell. They smell disgusting but my boy loved them. He really likes the freeze dried turkey tendons also (similar texture to rawhide but not actual rawhide). We got them to keep him busy while we eat (he’s a huge food wh*re and a beggar). He didn’t know what to do with them initially but I soaked the tip of it in water until it got soggy and then after a few days he realized he could chew them without me having to soak them first... I try to find new stuff for him because he gets bored really easily but now that we know he has allergies he’s down to just freeze dried chicken pieces.

Kiyangoin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yo
You might try small pieces of shaved deli turkey, my cats love that.
you should know that most deli meats are seasoned with onion and garlic powder which is not good for cats and dogs. I actually learned this because I have IBS and was doing searches for trigger foods...im not saying it’s going to kill them but still, just an FYI

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These Inaba Churu pops! A coworker gave them to me, and they go crazy over them. You can decide how much you push out, and I'll clip a tube shut and put it in the fridge and use it over a few days.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since Pure Bites went up on price on Amazon I tried the Halo freeze dried treats and my cats love them

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bursts from Blue Buffalo. I tried Greenies in the past but they tired of them quickly. They only gets treats when I clip their nails or put flea/tick meds on them.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine loves any kind of freeze dried, but her favorite are the whole freeze dried minnows.