Need some insight

clarice41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a little kitty that the vet said is probaby 4 weeks old. His mother is feral. His eyes were swollen, third eyelid halfway across both eyes. I took him to vet (on Monday) who gave him clavamox and terramycin ointment. He continued to get worse, so I took him back on Friday and he switched both antibiotics. I put the little guy in a small bathroom with a vicks steamer and a clothes steamer (intermittantly). He just sounds terrible. He is breathing through his mouth because his little nose is so stuffed up. His eyes seem a bit better today (kind of look like they did when I found him as opposed to swelled shut the other day). I am wondering if I am prolonging the inevitable, or can he get better? I don't want to make him suffer. It has been 1 week since I found him and started antibiotics. I am feeding him softened kitten chow in baby food meat. Forcing water. Oh, AND he is constipated. I have been giving him olive oil mixed with food. He does eat quite a bit, little guy is just miserable. In the meantime I have been trying to keep him away from my house kitties so they don't get sick.
Thanks for any insight and advice!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since he is still eating well and his eyes have started to improve I would give him a little more time to see if he can get over this. Does the vet know about his being constipated?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said his eyes seem better, that's a sign that he's improving.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you stimulate them, you have to be a bit rough. Think about how rough the mom cat's tongue is. A wash cloth might work or a cotton ball.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A drastic change in food can cause either constipation or the runs. Call the vet about the constipation for guidance. I'm hoping that his digestive problems simply go away once he is adjusted to his new food.

I've rescued very young kittens with similar problems. If his eyes are clearing up, then it is a good sign that things are getting better for him.

Sending vibes that he heals quickly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clarice41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. Unless he seems distressed, I'll continue to try and make him as comfortable as possible. His breathing still sounds awful, but I think it's just that he's so congested. He did poo today-which made me really excited! I will continue to give him olive oil. His eyes are about the same. I'm hoping that a few more nights will help him. As far as his food switch, little guy was probably still on mother's milk, so I guess it would be a shock to his system to go to anything else. He does like the softened kitten chow in babyfood meat.

Does anyone know if there is anything else I can do for his congetstion(nose)? I thought about a baby aspirator, but don't know if this would do more harm than good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't used one of the aspirators before, but a guy on the feline herpes group used it when his little kitty was so terribly congested and it worked well. Also, plain saline nose drops might help. One thing we did with Hannah when she was so sick and congested for so long was put eucalyptus oil on an old wash cloth and lay it near where she was sleeping, BUT out of her reach. WARNING!!! EUCALYPTUS OIL IS TOXIC if ingested by kitty!! Use it carefully and ONLY where kitty can't get to it. The eucalyptus helps open up the nasal passages.

Steam, steam, steam. You can't steam him enough.

Are you giving him lysine?