Need Some Help

JDW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An acquaintance surrendered her cat to me. I was told he was a Bengal. His coat doesn’t look classic Bengal. He certainly has the personality quirks of one. He’s also not extremely vocal. He’s a month shy of two years old & only 7.5 pounds. Some opinions would be appreciated.

Attachments

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J JDW - He does appear to be spotted, as opposed to having stripes broken into 'spots' as the typical Spotted Tabby might - but his size alone does suggest that he isn't a Bengal (nor certainly a Savannah, though from this photo, his markings appear to be similar). Better photographs might help - a side view, and a straight-on headshop, and profile.

There aren't a large number of naturally spotted (domestic) cats; The Egyptian Mau, Arabian Mau, and Bahraini Dilmun just about fill out the list, keeping aside the hybrids who are typically much larger than the average domestic cat. Perhaps Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico or abyeb abyeb or @stefanz will weight in here with an opinion. He's certainly an handsome fellow. By the way, welcome to TCS!

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to see a picture of his head and face. Also a side shot (silhouette) would help a lot.

What is his eye color?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do see some E. Mau traits, but then there's other stuff I see that make me think "mmm, maybe not".
I'm not definite enough to say that he has Mau in him. The eyes and ears make me falter a bit.

I keep hearing about the Arabian Mau, but I've never actually seen one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JDW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He certainly behaves like no tabby I’ve ever known. Which led me to try & discover what his true breed is. The Egyptian Mau personality description fits him to a ‘T’. He constantly kneads on me, will spend hours in my lap & keeps me on my toes with his activity. I will try tomorrow to get some better head shots for you.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As usually, Joe ( 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine ) is right. I don't see either much Bengal in him. I mean, those spotts and their distribution are similar to those of the very first bengals "created", but they lack the definition that is characteristic of the breed, as the fur of your baby is ticked. Even though is face "expression" looks "bengalish", his eyes are not rounded enough, his head shape does not scream "Bengal" either, and the tail looks too thin and long. That is not to say that there is no Bengal in him, but that I don't see It clearly showing up.

Short of a DNA test, as it is usually said here, It is almost impossible to know if this lovely boy has any recent breed influence in him.

As for Arabian Maus, I am not familiar with this beautiful breed, but I found this video about these lovely cats, in case of any of you may want to know more about them.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
J JDW - He does appear to be spotted, as opposed to having stripes broken into 'spots' as the typical Spotted Tabby might - but his size alone does suggest that he isn't a Bengal (nor certainly a Savannah, though from this photo, his markings appear to be similar). Better photographs might help - a side view, and a straight-on headshop, and profile.

There aren't a large number of naturally spotted (domestic) cats; The Egyptian Mau, Arabian Mau, and Bahraini Dilmun just about fill out the list, keeping aside the hybrids who are typically much larger than the average domestic cat. Perhaps Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico or abyeb abyeb or @stefanz will weight in here with an opinion. He's certainly an handsome fellow. By the way, welcome to TCS!
Perhaps Ocicat? He has that body type, and those thumb-print sized spots. I'm not really seeing any EMau, and I think an AMau would be more slender, with longer legs.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps Ocicat? He has that body type, and those thumb-print sized spots. I'm not really seeing any EMau, and I think an AMau would be more slender, with longer legs.
abyeb abyeb - I think you're probably right on the money here. After Virginia Daly's original Abysinnian x Siamese crosses, American Shorthair bloodlines were introduced into her "Ocicat" foundation, and this fellow's body type matches those very well indeed.

J JDW - I think that Ocicat is a very good call.