Need some help

goosehazel

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up to my eyeballs in Thomas the Tank Engine undies
Hi all!
I know it has been a while since I've been on here, since I had the twins and all, but I need some help desperately. In May we took in a gorgeous male stray. He had sort of moved in on our deck. Took him to the vet and kept him in his own room, etc. We found out he had been neutered so we put up signs...nothing. Long story short...the girls (mainly Lucy) have not let up on their aggression. Belle and Daisy mostly just chase him a little or get into a swatting match. Lucy, however, will go out of her way to stalk him, chase him, swipe at him. We've tried feliway and squirt bottles. I'd try a labotomy on Lucy, but kitty ones aren't available. He is the absolute sweetest, most loving cat. But he won't defend himself! He runs, which in turn makes them chase him even more. It has been going on for 8 months. He barely leaves the kitchen and will sleep with us only if we bring him upstairs with us. He then stays there all night till we bring him down in the morning. Is it too late to do anything else? Please say it's not, because we just adore Oliver so much. BTW...no litterbox problems from him either. Thanks so much for listening...please help!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Laura!
It's great to see you back on TCS. Your new guy sounds like such a sweetie.

Regarding the aggression issues with your girls, just wondering how long you kept the new fellow separated from them and how the introductions were handled? It may be necessary, and worthwhile, to start the process over again. It's been known to work. There's some good advice on introductions here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if some behavior modification with Lucy might help? Like doing something she likes, like petting, or treats, with her sitting on your lap, and have someone bring over the new kitty in their arms. Give her positive reinforcement if she doesn't growl, and a gentle tap on the nose, and "no" if she growls?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, when we integrated "the boys", Darko and Stinkpot, it tooks months and months, and still Callie growled at them. It seemed she was getting worse, rather than better. Finally we said "enough is enough" and instead of telling her "it's alright, they're just playing", etc. we kiind of yelled at her to stop it when she started growling, and it worked!

We did, however, go through all the integration procedures first, like total separation, then scent swapping, then room swapping, feeding in the same room but across the room, very limited visitation with lots of toys to distract any of them if necessary, etc.

Good luck!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Hi Laura!
It's great to see you back on TCS. Your new guy sounds like such a sweetie.

Regarding the aggression issues with your girls, just wondering how long you kept the new fellow separated from them and how the introductions were handled? It may be necessary, and worthwhile, to start the process over again. It's been known to work. There's some good advice on introductions here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321
I agree, reintroductions sound like they are in order. Try a different room from your first introduction so the cats think it's someone new, and maybe keep them completely seperated for a week or so before trying to reintroduce. That way, the cats can reset themselves before you try to reintroduce.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goosehazel

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We kept them apart for a couple of weeks. We didn't do longer because they were able to sniff each other through the screen when he was outside still. Guess we will have to try again. I just feel bad having to lock him up again

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

We kept them apart for a couple of weeks. We didn't do longer because they were able to sniff each other through the screen when he was outside still. Guess we will have to try again. I just feel bad having to lock him up again
If he's really being tormented that badly, locking him up in a room will actually be good for him emotionally and psychologically. He will be more relaxed with a closed door between him and the more aggressive cats. When you do reintroduce, try using a smell inhibitor like talcum powder or vanilla. It does wonders for vet smells that get stuck on my cats, so I think it stands to reason that it would work well for introducing two cats, especially when one is dominant. Your overly aggressive fremale might lay off once she sees this guy and he smells just like her for some reason. A dab around the face and butt works for vanilla, and just rub talcum powder in your hands and pet your cats for that method.

herekittykitty8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Laura,
I don't have any advice to offer - but I wanted to let you know I hope your situation improves and am sending you loads of positive vibes for you and your kitties!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

How long do you think we should keep him locked up for...this time
I wonder if you should take a cue from Lucy for that...if you DO decide to do it that way. See if you can take his scent to her and when she doesn't react badly start letting him out? I'm kind of the "throw the new cat in there" kind of person, so I don't know that much about intros.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goosehazel

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I wonder if you should take a cue from Lucy for that...if you DO decide to do it that way. See if you can take his scent to her and when she doesn't react badly start letting him out? I'm kind of the "throw the new cat in there" kind of person, so I don't know that much about intros.
I'm the same way! I think that sounds like the best approach. He has a special blanket that he always sleeps on. I can always take that to her. Thanks so much everyone!! I knew I could count on TCS!