Need Some Advice

mcgKT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we have 2 16 and bit kittens, it's been a while since we had kittens and looking for as much advice as possible. Scratching legit have 2 spider monkey, we have bar stools and they seem to be number one climber for our little guys. We have scratching post on the other side of the couch and they know where they are... HELP ! They haven't jumped on counters yet but we know the tape trick for those.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This article is pretty good.

23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture

I think where a lot of people go wrong is trying to put them on the scratching post, which annoys them and makes them less likely to use it. We did have one person claim that their friend taught a cat that way, but I'm 100% with the article -- don't do it.

Might have missed it but I didn't see a tip for praising them if they use the posts -- might not help but can't hurt! One thing I don't agree with the article on is the power of a loud "No!". Its pretty effective for most things. For scratching, maybe its not quite as good because at best it says "don't scratch this one particular spot" to them. But it might help you protect a key piece of furniture and redirect them to the posts.

Last edited: