Need Some Advice..what's The Best Thing To Do For My Kitty?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so I'm sorry if it isn't.

Anyways, I'm a graduate student and home is about 2 hours away for me. Thanksgiving break is coming up so I'll be going home for it. My cat Milo hates car rides! He has pica and driving/going away from where he's used to really stresses him out (like most cats lol). He just had surgery about a month ago to have a lump removed on his face and he has recovered really well! But, he unfortunately ate a string off of one of his toys about 2 weeks ago that was about a foot long. :( It still hasn't passed, but he has been eating/drinking/pooping/peeing and is his normal playful self. I'm not sure if I've just missed it in his poop or what.

My concern is: is that I will bring him home with me and he'll start having issues with the string plus all the stress that comes with car rides and new places and obviously we won't have access to his normal vet. So I'm wondering, would it be better to just have him boarded at the vet here? I'm sure that would be stressful for him also, but that way he wouldn't have as long of a car ride and he would be able to be monitored by a vet in case something happens. But then again, he would be free to roam at my parents house instead of locked up in a cage and I would be with him. What do you think the best thing would be to do for him?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a tough one. Could you get some calming treats to give him for the care ride? What about him staying at your place while you are gone? Is that not an option? Do you not have anyone who can check in on him once or rwice a day and feed him, clean his litterbox? Or hire a petsitter to stay with him, since cats really do better in their own environment? That's really the best option, IMHO. We just went away for a long weekend, leaving our furkids for the first time in 6 years, and they are such Momma's boys that I was really afraid they would not be ok,but they were just fine!

BTW, since it's been two weeks since he ate that string, I really think the danger has passed. What does your Vet say about that?

If you cannot have someone come in, then I would probably take him with you, but give him some calming "device" before the trip, like Rescue Remedy for Pets, or other calming thing, just google it, and read this article: 36 Awesome Tips For Road Tripping With Your Cat

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would ask your vet about the string. My aunts cat ate some sewing string and it slowly tangled up his intestines and he almost died. Since he’s been ok for so long, I think your cat is fine, but I would still check.

For the car ride terrors, try a natural calming spray made for cats and make sure you cover the carrier. Even ask the vet for something to calm him down. I dont recommend boarding as most boarding experiences will traumatize a cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of boarding at the vet, look at pet boarding places. Some have roomy multi level suites for cats instead of a cage and offer playtime outside the cage and even options like special treats or soothing music.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help everyone!! Really great advice.

I just cleaned his litter, and found some diarrhea I think :(. there was also normal poops though and it was just one spot of diarrhea. Should I be concerned? Other than that he is still acting normal.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help everyone!! Really great advice.

I just cleaned his litter, and found some diarrhea I think :(. there was also normal poops though and it was just one spot of diarrhea. Should I be concerned? Other than that he is still acting normal.
have you discussed the string with your vet? seeing your vet should be your first priority before making any decisions.