Need rescue/sanctuary for FeLV pos kitten

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have always dreaded this day would come.  I've never gotten a positive FeLV or FIV test, but I did today.

Or rather, the vet did.

Martin is a 5-6 month old male DSH kitten.  Blue tabby with white.  He is outgoing, friendly, and very social.  He is easily handled and loves people, has been exposed to the smells and sounds of other cats and dogs but has not interacted closely with them.

Martin came to me with a fracture in his rear right leg.  The vet determined the fracture was right through the femoral growth plate and advised to wait and see how it healed.  It seems to be healing quite well and Martin is mobile and uses the litter box without issue.

Martin is neutered as of today.  He has his rabies vaccine and FVRCP vaccines, is dewormed, and treated with Revolution.

If you are a rescue or sanctuary with room for a loving, friendly and sweet FeLV + kitten, please let me know ASAP.  If you are a private home wanting to adopt, this can be arranged as well.  Recommendations and referrals welcome.

Martin is located in South Bend, IN (northern part).  Travel arrangements can be made as far north as Detroit, west to Chicago, south to Indianapolis, or possibly east to mid-northern Ohio.

We are unable to keep him as our rescue has no place to house a single, potentially contagious cat.  He would likely be happiest with at least one other cat.  All of our foster homes are multi-cat and we cannot mix him in with FeLV- cats.  Thus far he has been living in a Great Dane-sized crate and doing well, but clearly wants 'out' to explore and play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat hamlin

Adult Cat
Purraise
I had contacted every shelter Google found that took FIV and FELV cats...none had room. Luckily, a local family stepped up and adopted dear Martin. His name is now Frodo and he loves 'his' kids more than anything. Bless that family for taking in a cat who may have a terrible disease.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:banana1::dance::jump:
Wonderful, wonderful news!!! Thank you for the update - it serves as an encouragement for other cat rescuers. Fortunately, as time goes on, FIV+ kitties are given a chance and the outcomes have been better than previously expected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat hamlin

Adult Cat
Purraise
FIV+ kitties, certainly. Martin is FeLV pos, though. Not the same thing at all.
Two of the kittens we just pulled are testing FIV+ currently but as they are not yet 8 weeks old I'm not entirely worried yet.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, sorry...I read too quickly and zeroed in on FIV+, not the FeLV. I re-read on the FeLV vaccine and it isn't 100% so hopefully Martin's new family has enough kids to play with him and keep him from missing other cats. Again, I send prayers of thanksgiving that Martin was adopted into a family!