Need refresher course on introducing new canned foods after possible allergy setback :-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy recently had a wicked reaction to something about a week ago, and is just now starting to eat a few bites on his own again. But it's been a while since we've had to pretty much start over from scratch, and I've forgotten how to go about safely introducing new canned foods after a major setback.

Is there a general rule of thumb re: how much new food you should introduce at a time (oh, say like a particular amount or percentage of total calories), how gradually you can increase that amount, and how long you should stick with that particular food before trying something else?

I've been having to assist feed Buddy every day for several years now, as he is only able to eat about half of what he needs. To make a long story short, his sinuses are so messed up that he can't smell his food, and the chronic sinus drainage apparently makes him often feel too nauseated to eat enough on his own.

Fortunately, I'm pretty handy with a syringe by now, and by the grace of God, looks like Buddy has finally turned the corner from this most recent setback and is starting to eat a little bit on his own again.

Now I'm just confused as to where to go from here, and would greatly appreciate your input. :hearthrob: :redheartpump: :hearthrob: :redheartpump: :hearthrob:

For what it's worth, I've been mostly feeding him Oxbow Carnivore Care for the past few days, and before that, various odds & ends to keep him hydrated and get some calories into him until the diarrhea and vomiting stopped, e.g. baby food, high calorie nutritional gel, rice water, slippery elm, etc.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I"m so sorry this happened! Would he be able to consume home made boiled unseasoned chicken, with maybe a little boiled white rice, before you venture into canned food?
It depends on the cat, but initially you want to have at least 85%-95% of the food he's able to eat, with the other ratio being the new. If he's able to tolerate that, give it a few days. Then begin decreasing the original food and increasing the new food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I"m so sorry this happened! Would he be able to consume home made boiled unseasoned chicken, with maybe a little boiled white rice, before you venture into canned food?
It depends on the cat, but initially you want to have at least 85%-95% of the food he's able to eat, with the other ratio being the new. If he's able to tolerate that, give it a few days. Then begin decreasing the original food and increasing the new food.
Great! Thanks oodles, hon. :heartshape:

Alas, thus far, I never have been able to get Buddy to willingly eat any home-cooked meat or broth. But he usually tolerates homemade bone broth pretty well, and I was able to sneak some homemade rice paste into his baby food the other day.

Bless his heart, I feel just awful about Buddy's most recent setback. Unfortunately, all of the foods he had been doing so well on were discontinued one by one over a period of time, and since I'm the only caregiver for a sick elderly parent, I just never got around to trying to find any alternatives until it was almost too late. :paperbag: