Need Recommendations For A Cat Tracker!!

ritmom3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help! Now that the weather is warmer, our adventurous nine-month old Siberian kitten is trying to go outside. Could you please recommend a cat tracker for her? I'd love one that would alert us if she did accidentally get out, but one that would help us pinpoint her location quickly is essential. She is microchipped and has a tag with our address/phone number. Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There seem to be any number of decent ones out there, so check the above list! My only concern is that they would be attached to a break-away collar, which means that if your kitty gets into real trouble, you might lose the tracker. That said, at least you would have a definite "last known location."

Mabel & Betty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any more input in this. We have 2 new rescue barn cats & is LOV to know a tracker that works & reasonable cost.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've looked into this a couple of times and have yet to find one on the market I like. Most products are too big for any cat under 10 pounds. GPS devices are always on and require daily battery swaps. While accurate and timely, they are also heavy and after a few months changing the battery it gets tiresome. Crowd sourced phone based trackers require someone with the same app (and it must be on) to give location which may or may not be current. TabCat is the one I've had the least complaints about personally. The system is closed and uses a control unit making it self contained. The batteries require minimal changing. The devices themselves don't transmit a signal unless pinged by the control unit. The problem with this one is accuracy, it's a big game of hot and cold which doesn't always work if the unit is out of range.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritmom3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've looked into this a couple of times and have yet to find one on the market I like. Most products are too big for any cat under 10 pounds. GPS devices are always on and require daily battery swaps. While accurate and timely, they are also heavy and after a few months changing the battery it gets tiresome. Crowd sourced phone based trackers require someone with the same app (and it must be on) to give location which may or may not be current. TabCat is the one I've had the least complaints about personally. The system is closed and uses a control unit making it self contained. The batteries require minimal changing. The devices themselves don't transmit a signal unless pinged by the control unit. The problem with this one is accuracy, it's a big game of hot and cold which doesn't always work if the unit is out of range.

Thank you! This was has not been on my radar and looks like it might be my best bet. I'll have to make a decision quick because she is getting craftier with her escape plans!