Need Reassurance!

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My precious boy is going to the vets on Wednesday to have his teeth cleaned.

I know it needs doing. He's 4.5 years old now and although we have a good teeth cleaning regime going now I started late (about 2 years ago) and the plaque that had already built up is proving stubborn.

The problem I'm having is that we lost his sister 18 months ago to restrictive cardiomyopathy/CHF and since then I've been fiercely, madly, obsessively protective of him and I can't make my head get over the idea this procedure is just for vanity. Seriously, I know it's not - his breath doesn't even smell from the good dental regime we now have but I can't get over it!

The idea of putting him under a general anaesthetic is freaking me out. I'm also taking his 15 month old neice in for her annual shots at the same time and it's also freaking me out that I'll be seperating them at the vets office, taking my girl home and leaving my boy.

They also both have coronavirus and I'm scared the stress will make it flip to FIP. My head is racing with all the things that could go wrong and I need to calm myself down.

Someone tell me to get over myself! Everyone else thinks I'm being ridiculous :bawling:

Here are my wee furbabies Darwin (the boy) on the right and Hedy (the girl) on the left:
20190619_165336.jpg

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Holy schamoly, they are fabulous!!
I don't blame you for being concerned, truly.

Talk to your vet about your concerns if you haven't already. They and you are a team for your babies health :heartshape:

Can you try chamomile tea, or even holy basil? I've seen it, and L-tryptophan available in Natural Grocers and I would imagine elsewhere too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It'll all be OK!! If they are otherwise healthy there is no reason to think the corona virus will mutate to FIP. Both of them, especially your boy, are over the 'hump' age where it is most likely for corona virus to mutate.

Just make sure you keep some of their blankets/towels/etc. with their scents on them and swap them out when they are both home - to avoid any issues with either of them smelling different after being at the vet's!

:vibes::goodluck::hugs:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fifteen year old has to keep going in for tooth resorption--three or four rounds of extractions this calendar year alone. If she can do the dentals plus the extractions at her age, I think your 4 year old will be just fine. Then again. Krista is pretty tough!

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The teeth cleaning should be just fine. I doubt the stress of being separated for a ?day? Will cause them any harm. If you are really concerned you could ask your vet for a mild sedative for her to take for a day or two while he is at the vet/smelling weird. I doubt she will need it (but some feliway or catnip if it makes her calm or dried chamomile flowers or lavender or valerian or a stress/anxiety remedy.)

I know how bonded you get to meezers and special cats. I can’t really advice because I would be phoning the vet every couple hours asking for updates & trying not to stress. :compsurfing: Just keep reminding yourself it is necessary so he can keep his teeth and that he will be fine. :vibes::grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

You're all correct of course. I'm going to just have to get on with it. A tough day but he'll be back in the afternoon and I can go back to spoiling him.

He's a healthy cat. After his sisters diagnosis we got his heart checked and all good there so there should be no complications as he is still young.

I also will not ring the vets every 10 minutes. Promise! :lol:

Purrrfectttales

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think if your vet was genuinely concerned about placing him under anesthesia that it would be communicated to you. I had my cat's teeth cleaned when he was 3 years old and he did just fine. Maybe if you discuss your worries with the doctor they can more thoroughly explain the risks and/or likelihood of something going wrong. I would like to have my two cats' teeth cleaned again soon so that they will actually have teeth when they become old men! Dental health in humans is a very important risk factor for heart disease. I would think it is just as important for animals too.

Purrrfectttales

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think if your vet was genuinely concerned about placing him under anesthesia that it would be communicated to you. I had my cat's teeth cleaned when he was 3 years old and he did just fine. Maybe if you discuss your worries with the doctor they can more thoroughly explain the risks and/or likelihood of something going wrong. I would like to have my two cats' teeth cleaned again soon so that they will actually have teeth when they become old men! Dental health in humans is a very important risk factor for heart disease. I would think it is just as important for animals too.

Grey_Tuxedo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet performed a blood test (CBC) in preparation for an upcoming eye enucleation. The purpose was to assess his fitness for the anesthesia. I don't know how common that is but it makes me feel (slightly) better about what's about to happen.

I've been scared too and have done some reading about serious complications from general anesthesia. I can say that is very rare (1 in 900?). Also, some procedures (like eye enucleation) carry greater risk of anesthesia complications than others. I bet that a dental cleaning is among the lowest risk-wise.

Another factor that correlates to anesthesia complications is the urgency of the procedure, like if it is an emergency. That makes sense, but hopefully it also makes you feel more confident as your procedure is not an emergency situation.

It's actually great news that your guy is having a good dental cleaning. We all want the longest, happiest, healthiest lives for our loved ones and this decision is going to make a real, positive difference. Cheers.

Last edited:

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, after trying to mentally prepare my vets had to reschedule so he's going in tomorrow.

My vet is not concerned about his fitness for anaesthesia as he's young, a healthy weight and already had his heart checked (in case it was genetic). The risk is very low and I know the longer term benefits make it necessary.

Apparently the risk of something going wrong is lower than the risk of getting in the car to drive to the vets.

I just want to get it over with now though.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Evie had her teeth cleaned earlier this year. It was scary, but trust your vet and trust that your kitty will be fine! When we got her home, she stumbled around for a bit, ate a little, and by the next morning was screaming at me for breakfast...lol! Everything will go well for your little one. :)

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Evie had her teeth cleaned earlier this year. It was scary, but trust your vet and trust that your kitty will be fine! When we got her home, she stumbled around for a bit, ate a little, and by the next morning was screaming at me for breakfast...lol! Everything will go well for your little one. :)
Thanks for this - I do trust my vet very much but I don't think there is a way to stop me worrying.

I just want to skip through to bringing him home safe tomorrow afternoon.

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I've dropped Darwin off. I feel awful - turns out he's already lost one little tooth and they are going to take the same one out on the other side because his gums look a bit irritated (it's the teeny tine one between their canines and "molars").

I've left this far too long and now I'm wondering if he's been in pain. I've let my fears of something bad happening hold me back from giving him the care he needs :(

Hedy is currently trying to find Darwin and my heart is just breaking. I'm going to go get on with some work to try and distract myself - only 5 hours before I can pick him up....

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you, I know how nerve wracking this can be. I had to take ny 15 year old in for surgery and he had a enlarged heart. He came through fine. I'll pray for his full recovery and for everything to get back to normal. Please keep us posted!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be surprised if Hedy hisses ta Darwin when he comes home because he smells funny. Rub him down with your comforter or a blanket that they lay on if it happens.

Good luck! He will be fine and will feel so much better after it's all said and done. :)

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't be surprised if Hedy hisses ta Darwin when he comes home because he smells funny. Rub him down with your comforter or a blanket that they lay on if it happens.

Good luck! He will be fine and will feel so much better after it's all said and done. :)
We know that game! Last summer Darwin was at the vets for 3 nights with terrible vomiting and diarrhea. When he eventually came home he smelt bad even to me and we had to seperate them for a week and do a proper reintroduction!

I don't think we'll have it as bad this time but I am expecting hissing.

Hedy at the moment is not doing too well. She's very withdrawn and has barely eaten so we definitely need to get Darwin home sharpish!

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just had a call from the vets. It all went well, he's fine and we can pick him up in 80 minutes!

Thank you all for your reassuring words. Its all done now and we can get him home and give him and Hedy lots of cuddles (and maybe some cheeky treats!).

:bliss: