Need reassurance - semi feral cat dramatic change in behavior after us having visitors to stay

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all , and happy new year to you all!

I was hoping to get some advice/reassurance. My wife and I have gradually been introducing a feral cat to our home - we have had him neutered and had some success with getting him to stay overnight (although him becoming friends with our existing cat is taking time, and another story….). We had some guests staying over the Xmas period and he didn’t react well. He started meowing and running towards the door as soon as we brought him in. The visitors have gone, but his behavior persists. He doesn’t seem too stressed; when I pick him up and cuddle him he puts as normal. But as soon as he’s on the ground he starts meowing and heading for the door. It feels like we’ve regressed to when we first brought him in. I guess the only thing we can do and persevere, and just ignore him constant meowing(?) Thanks. James

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I suppose so.
Also, try when you let him out, do it when its verry cold or a rainy storm; so the idea sinks in its nice and cozy in your home :)

You can always try with; calm, relaxing music, and or Feliway adapter. And of course, be sure he has a calm and safe corner to hide in, if you would have guests or so....

Also have some Dr Bachs Rescue Remedy for immediate occasions, alike guests visiting or the janitor doing reparations... Jackson Galaxy has a somewhat similiar preparate - may be easier to find and get.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think he is still unsure whether 'those people' are coming back. How did you behave when he meowed before company came? If there were times before that you had to use distraction tactics, use them again now.

You can try replacing the guests' scent with his - rubbing towels on him and then placing them in areas where your company spent time. Take some of your worn, unwashed clothing and place them in those areas to 'override' their scent. Washing items that can be washed might help too. And, if he roamed about your house before the guests arrived, make sure you take him around the house a few different times so he can see firsthand that they are really gone.

cleoandsuki87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She wasn't feral, but I have an extremely shy/timid/skittish cat. It took two weeks of her being in the house before she let me pet her, and then it was a rare thing. Several months to seem truly comfortable. My parents visited this fall. She found that to be extremely distressing. For weeks, she would hide when I came home, presumably wanting to make sure I was alone and I wasn't bringing the people back. After a few weeks, she adjusted and was back to "her normal." I would bet that your cat will be fine once he fully realized those people aren't coming back- it may just take awhile to readjust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice...all very useful!
Patience has been a virtue here....over the last few days things have got better, and 'Bob's' level of complaint has diminished somewhat. He is always noisier when he comes in the morning - when he tends to have a lot of energy - so playtime at that point is very important. But he is generally settling down a lot more and is a lot less edgy. Ironically, one thing that helped with the re-socialization was the abundance of fireworks where we live on NYE: the option of staying inside, and curling up in a safe space, was much more desirable than the noisy and frightening outside world! Thanks again

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think it’s just going to take a few days. One of my cats is more nervous about strangers, and she especially hates children. They are too loud and unpredictable for her. When my nieces come to visit, she pretty much hides in a cubbyhole in the wall of my bedroom the whole time. I even have to feed her in there. When they leave, it takes several hours and she will slowly approach the guest bedroom to be sure they are gone. And then she is nervous for a few days when we come and go because she thinks they are coming back with us.