Need Positive Vibes After Kitten Spay

Ashy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi cat lovers,

Today my sweet girl Aspen went in for her spay surgery. She’s 3.5 months and 3.5 pounds.

I found a nice, clinic offering $60 spay with a rabies shot. We arrived at the clinic at 7AM. Aspen was her normal chipper self during the drive. She really enjoys car rides. We go inside the clinic and she was calm but seemed slightly confused with all the chaos and large animals around her.

I hand her over the the attendant and Aspen seems a little worried, which is abnormal as she is never a skittish kitten. I know it’s our best interest for her to be spayed so proceeding was obviously the right option.

I arrive at 4pm for pick-up after a successful surgery. However, upon picking her up she proceeds to growl and hiss and act aggressively towards the front desk and myself. I am instructed to leave her in her carrier until morning.

She continued to hiss at me and even lounge at me through her carrier which was a shock to me. She’s never hissed, growled or acted aggressive in any way. I know this is due to anesthesia and a stressful day but I feel somehow guilty for this trauma and uneasy about this behavior. I am leaving her secluded in her quiet and peaceful room in the carrier and leaving her be to ensure she will not be aggravated further.

I have been told this is normal behavior and received thorough after care instructions. Everyone was quite helpful and wonderful but I can’t help but to be concerned about my usual purr-machine Aspen. Has anyone else experienced this on a younger kitten spay?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry you are going through this. It is possible that the drugs she received are causing the aggression issue. So, hopefully, by tomorrow you will see a difference.

Are you supposed to give her any pain meds after she has been home a while? If she is still very agitated then, the pain meds might help at that point.

I know several rescue centers around me that spay/neuter cats as young as 8 weeks old as long as they are 2 pounds. While this, to me, is not ideal, I haven't heard of a specific common issue because of their age/size.

I wouldn't leave her alone though. Go in and be with her; sit nearby, talk softly to her, even calmly, quietly read a book to her just so she hears your voice. She might react violently initially, but see if after you are there for a while with her that she doesn't settle down a bit.

Please keep us posted - and look back for other members who can offer more support and help than I am able to.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It just always crushes me when I have a cat spayed. It is absolutely totally necessary but as a cat mom I hate it. Some of the cats came home just fine but others were cowering and fearful, or so groggy they couldn’t stand up. And my last one was like yours, hissing and aggressive. In her case by the next morning she was back to her old self so I expect it was the anesthesia. She was given pain meds but with instructions not to give them to her until the next day which was fine because I probably would have lost a hand had I tried.

For now I would give her space and leave her alone if your presence seems to agitate her. The most important thing for her now is to stay quiet and rest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. So sorry you are going through this. It is possible that the drugs she received are causing the aggression issue. So, hopefully, by tomorrow you will see a difference.

Are you supposed to give her any pain meds after she has been home a while? If she is still very agitated then, the pain meds might help at that point.

I know several rescue centers around me that spay/neuter cats as young as 8 weeks old as long as they are 2 pounds. While this, to me, is not ideal, I haven't heard of a specific common issue because of their age/size.

I wouldn't leave her alone though. Go in and be with her; sit nearby, talk softly to her, even calmly, quietly read a book to her just so she hears your voice. She might react violently initially, but see if after you are there for a while with her that she doesn't settle down a bit.

Please keep us posted - and look back for other members who can offer more support and help than I am able to.
According to the records, she received some type of pain relief shot at the clinic (although I have to double check the name) and I am instructed to give pain meds beginning tomorrow.

I’m not sure if it’s harder on her tiny body to handle such a surgery. I should also be checking the surgery site when she allows and God-whiling everything will be smoother moving forward.

I hope that I will see improvement soon. It’s difficult seeing her like this. I did try to gently speak to her on the ride back but it only seemed to anger and frustrate her further at the time. I’m letting her cool down for a bit more and I will try the soothing-talk soon if she permits and see if she is ready for any company.

Ty for the advice

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please keep us posted. I am so hoping you see some settling down in her as the anesthesia wears off.

Also, you might ask the vet if either the anesthesia or the pain med shot might have this as a side effect. And, perhaps, double check to see the pain meds you are supposed to administer starting tomorrow is not the same thing, or at least a much smaller dose.

Ashy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It just always crushes me when I have a cat spayed. It is absolutely totally necessary but as a cat mom I hate it. Some of the cats came home just fine but others were cowering and fearful, or so groggy they couldn’t stand up. And my last one was like yours, hissing and aggressive. In her case by the next morning she was back to her old self so I expect it was the anesthesia. She was given pain meds but with instructions not to give them to her until the next day which was fine because I probably would have lost a hand had I tried.

For now I would give her space and leave her alone if your presence seems to agitate her. The most important thing for her now is to stay quiet and rest.
Ugh it’s pretty rough seeing her like this to be honest although I am inclined to agree that it is for the best and needed to be done. I am optimistic that I will see some improvements in the morning. I was told this should be a normal reaction due to anesthesia and she should improve very soon as it wears off. Still difficult tho..

She is on pain relief from the clinic but I am also not able to give any pain meds at the moment.

I’m leaving her in a calm, quiet and dim lit environment for some time and will check in tonight or tomorrow. I’m sure she’s quite exhausted and needs to relax and heal. I wasn’t expecting everything to be as invasive as it was truth be told. So mentally, I’m a little drained myself.

Thanks for the input

Ashy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please keep us posted. I am so hoping you see some settling down in her as the anesthesia wears off.

Also, you might ask the vet if either the anesthesia or the pain med shot might have this as a side effect. And, perhaps, double check to see the pain meds you are supposed to administer starting tomorrow is not the same thing, or at least a much smaller dose.
I will be in contact with the vet regarding the medication and also doing some research right now on side effects and such. I will send an email and probably won’t receive a reply until business hours. I will let everyone know updates tomorrow. Fingers crossed

Ashy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The clinic put some food in her carrier and I was able to unzip the window on her carrier. Her litter, food and water are in the room. I don’t think she’s left the carrier yet though. I’m not sure she’s ready but I know having the option is good for her.

You do want her to eat something so be sure she has her food and water dish near, as well as a litterbox.
li

Ashy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I stepped out briefly and I had my husband check on Aspen. She wanted affection and to be pet. She ate, drank and used her litter. She is acting like her old self already and I’m relieved! She’s very sweet and seems content to be home. Thanks for all advice.