Need peace in the house..

jessglanz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Long post warning!*

Alright ladies and gents really needing some help with this one! I feel like I've posted more in the past week then in the past 2 years lol.

I have my cat Diego, who is 3.5 years old, I've had him since he was 9 weeks old. He was the only cat for a long time until we moved in with my dad for a bit, where he met Pippin. Him and Pippin took some time to adjust, but ended up civil and would play. They were never aggressive while getting to know each other. Unforutanetly with heavy hearts Pippin was put to sleep about a month ago. (Long story, scary disease) Diego was confused, but not attached enough to be heart broken. We just moved into a new home and he had no issue adjusting and has made himself right at home.

I recently got Ollie (after a week of being NoName) from the SPCA. Ollie is approx 7 months old, after being wild and a feral. He spent a month at the shelter before he came home with me, and is requiring a lot of love and patience to come out of his shell.

Once Ollie decided he wanted to venture out of his room, he stayed behind the couch. Now he has decided he wants to not only explore more, but play as well! These are such huge steps for him, a week ago he wouldn't move from his bed and could barely be touched.

Here's the problem: Diego does not like Ollie. Not stay out of my way or let's slowly get to know each other, but he's gone looking for a fight. This is 100% unlike Diego.

I've been keeping Ollie in his room at night when they wouldn't be supervised, but even that amount of time is really setting his growth back in wanting to expand and explore. I can't imagine keeping him in there even more, I'd love to let him explore at night as well.

I don't want either of these boys stressed out - and I'm sure they both are right now. I want Diego to stay comfortable and his normal relaxed self, but I also want Ollie to explore and grow.

I don't need them to be best friends, but I need to know they can be civil. Any advice and suggestions appreciated!!

Also as I'm writing this Ollie is meowing for the first time since being rescued!! Even at the SPCA they did not hear it once. Music to my ears..

XO

(A picture of them with Ollie on top, Diego below. Diego not realizing they were sharing a bed)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessglanz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anything is appreciated guys :( not sure what to do at this point

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I call bull on them not knowing they're on the same bed.

Have you tried locking Diego up for a few hours while Ollie explores and leaves his scent all over ? Switching spaces is a pretty tried and true introduction method.

I kept Mercy in a giant dog crate the first week. And every night no matter how much of a monster it made me feel like for over a month.  I also recommend that everyone get a claw trim.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh jessglanz....I've been doing site swapping with my two for over a month now.  I too feel like a heel when I have to put one in isolation and let the other out, but it has made for a much more stress free environment for all of us.  My older cat is the bully in my house, as he is extremely territorial--not to mention my newbie was neutered the day before I brought him in, so add the hormones.  Fun fun.  NOT.

I haven't let them see each other in over a month now.  Not even a glimpse.  I want them to start fresh, well, as fresh as can be, because Wurp (old guy) knows he is in "that" room, he smells him. And Shortstack, the newbie, knows Wurp is there as well by scent.  But there hasn't been fur flying, and we came very close to a knock-down-drag-out the 2nd day Stack came home from the vet. 

I really don't think they care that they go to isolation for a while.  They sleep so much, and it gives Stack time to recuperate and chill.  I'm also having issues with misplaced aggression with Shortstack (I got bit!) so I've got to delay a new introduction until I get him (and me!) calmed back down and comfortable.  I think I am the only one out of all of us that feels guilt over the short isolation periods.  In my house Wurp (old dude) gets full run of the house all night.  I let Stack out as I am getting ready for work, or my hubby does, and Wurp goes to bed in our bedroom.  When the 1st human arrives home in the evening, we swap again.  Shortstack stays out until about 9pm, then up he goes, and Wurp gets some time to socialize.  He isn't about being all over us, he is more of a cat that does his own thing, we do ours, when he wants attention he comes to us.  He goes to bed with us then, where he sits on my chest for about 30 minutes, then moves to hubby's feet, and sleeps until about 3:30 or 4am.  He then gets up and prowls, patrols looking out all the windows, and waits on one of us to get up about 5 and give him his breakfast (he "hunts" out the windows haha).  He's ready to go bed down for the day about the time we let Shortstack out for the day.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Three out of three now recommending site swapping.  Both cats have periods of freedom, both cats have periods of quiet and peace (think quiet & peace, not isolation...humans have problems with the word, cats have no problems with it in general).

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Three out of three now recommending site swapping.  Both cats have periods of freedom, both cats have periods of quiet and peace (think quiet & peace, not isolation...humans have problems with the word, cats have no problems with it in general).
If only someone would put me in a room mid-day for some peace and quiet haha!! I'd pay them to do it!!