Need Opinions [ Shonzee And Feeding]

should I continue my current feeding regimen?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No ( please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I've been supplied with a high calorie wet food for Shonzee after his recent diagnosis of fatty liver, severe anemia and bad juandice, Ive been feeding him via syringe a decently full amount of food to keep his caloric intake up.

( refer to thread HELP! Jaundice cat!

First day I started with 1/4th can and a decent amount of Supplical / fluids (water and pedialyte).

Supplical is a :
  • A high calorie nutritional supplement that is often very palatable
  • These supplements may also contain any of the following ingredients:
    • Vitamins and Minerals work together to ensure normal body functions and they contribute to the overall health and well-being of your pet
      • Examples of vitamins:
        • Niacin (Vitamin B3)
        • Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
        • Thiamine (Vitamin B1)
        • Vitamin A
      • Examples of minerals
        • Calcium
        • Phosphorus
        • Potassium
        • Magnesium
    • Antioxidants are substances, such as vitamin C and vitamin E, that can protect cells in the body
    • Omega 3 fatty acids, such as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), docosahexaenoic (DHA), and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), have the ability to regulate inflammatory and immune responses in the body
    • Omega 6 fatty acids, such as gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and linoleic acid (LA), are important for keeping your pet’s coat and skin healthy
      The feeding instructions on the Supplical go as follows:
    • When the animal’s caloric or nutritional intake is to be supplemented, give a 3-3/4 inch ribbon = 1-1/2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight daily. When animal is not consuming full feed ration, give a 7-1/2 inch ribbon = 3 teaspoons (1 tablespoon) per 10 pounds of body weight daily. Calorie content: 4420 kcal/kg (26.5 kcal/6g).
The second day he had:
  • a full can split into 4. Each fourth was mixed with water to make it slurry and a small amount of Supplical mixed into each. Each fourth was given about 4 or so hours apart to give time for his stomach to digest. He also had many fluids to keep him hydrated through out the day.

Yesterday:

I tried a new approach a bit and added 100% oraganic pumpkin in to help with possible constipation, a decent amount of water for slurry, some Supplical and I think some Tuna for taste. That was split into 4 servings and fed at the same time frames as the day before. A long with A LOT of fluids to help with hydration and to clear this liver infection.

Today:

I started the same way, with the food, however this last serving I freaked out and threw part of it away and gave him just canned food. He has urinated over 7 times today Id say. Im not sure if he has defecated or not as our cats share litter boxes. But I do know he is peeing a lot. Im freaking out that I may be over working his kidneys or liver on possibly processing too many nutrients and that is causing it.

Is there a possibility of me giving him TOO many fluids right now? Im giving him a decent amount, I want him to get better as soon as possible and although he is still yellow a bit, the pink in his tongue and what not has definitely returned.

Im afraid by trying to fix one problem Im causing another, the vets where he goes ( I dont think after this he is going back to) do not explain things well and arent really a huge help and havent been this whole time. They basically told me he had no chance if he didnt have a feeding tube placed, and you guys are the ones that have helped me through this and I appreciate it so much.

So what are your opinions? Should I cut down on all the extra stuff Im adding into the daily diet? Should I keep doing it? This vitamin gel is great, but how much should I really be feeding him? I weighed him on my analog scale today and it LOOKS like he has gained a pound and a half back since Monday, but I could be wrong.

I just dont want to overwork his sick little insides.

He was 8.5lbs on Monday, he looks to be about 10 right now. He is main coon, so he is meant to be large and heavier.

He is on antibiotics, steroids and a liver helper as well. That is administered daily.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, it's hard to say. There IS such a thing as re-feeding syndrome, but it's pretty rare, as far as I can tell. But that's why when you first reintroduce food to a cat who hasn't eaten in while, you start out slowly and work your way up. Are you actually giving your little guy the full Tablespoon of the supplement along with the 5.5 oz can of food? Honestly, I wouldn't think that would hurt, but can you just call your Vet and get their opinion, and say you are concerned about re-feeding syndrome. That large weight gain in just a few days is the only thing that kind of worries me.

Also, it IS possible to get too much liquid, but again, very rare. Fatty Liver cats often get sub-q fluids daily, so I'd think you are ok to give him extra fluids in addition to what is needed to water down his food in order to assist feed him. And, naturally, liquids in, liquids out :wink:.

Personally I think you're ok, but I WOULD run it all past your Vet. Just let them know that the syringe feeding is going very well, and exactly what you are doing and get their opinion. Also mention that he's getting pink again. That's a very good sign :yess: (I've had a cat with this before, so I do know about it)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys!, I have WONDERFUL NEWS. HE IS EATING DRY FOOD AGAIN. ( fussy cat chicken and salmon) ON - HIS - OWN. I had to take it away for now, cause he needs his liver pill soon but I AM SO HAPPY. It makes me so much better knowing he isnt eating enough. Im still going to make sure he is eating the high calorie cat food, and supplicall with the fluids but I feel so much better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and so does he!
Thank you guys!, I have WONDERFUL NEWS. HE IS EATING DRY FOOD AGAIN. ( fussy cat chicken and salmon) ON - HIS - OWN. I had to take it away for now, cause he needs his liver pill soon but I AM SO HAPPY. It makes me so much better knowing he isnt eating enough. Im still going to make sure he is eating the high calorie cat food, and supplicall with the fluids but I feel so much better.