Need New Toys And Games For A Huntress

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. My cat is definitely a huntress when it comes to playing. She prefers stalking, chasing, and pouncing on things. It isn't fun for her unless it's moving around and she gets to stalk around until she finds the right opportunity.

She likes to play tag, where she'll randomly run up to me, smack my ankle, then run away at warp speed. I chase her, boop her butt, and then turn to run as she chases me. I also play with a cat teaser toy, she prefers it going back and forth on the ground for her to pounce on rather than in the air. She likes to chase hair ties and her crinkle balls. She also has a crinkle tunnel she'll run through when chasing a toy. She goes bananas for a q-tip.

But that's the only games/toys she's shown interest in so far, and she's my first cat so I'm trying to find new games and toys for her to play with.

Failed toys: felt mice, jingle balls, the spring ball toy (the patch of carpet with a spring in the middle with a ball), ball in circle toy, door knob cat teaser. I won't get a laser pointer cause I heard it frustrates cats more than anything since they can't catch it.

I would appreciate any insight on new toys and games, thank you!!

pixcatoy.jpg

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful! She sounds like a treat to play with. I also have a huntress, and her favorite toy of all time is Da Bird. It’s a feather on a string, and when you fly it in the air the feathers twirl and simulate the sound and image of a bird in flight. Best toy ever.

Also, I have heard similar things about lasers, but I think they are really good at the start of play to really tire out the kitty. To avoid the frustration, ahead of time I hide treats around the room and have Olive chase the laser to that point and let her eat the treats. I always follow it up with a physical toy so she gets nice catches and pounces.

Those are my tried and true best toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How wonderful! She sounds like a treat to play with.
She's fun to play with, but when I come home from a 12 hour shift where I was on my feet all day, I'd like a chance to sit lol!

I'll look up the bird toy, maybe she hasn't shown interest in toys in the air because it doesn't move/llok like a bird. Thank you for your suggestion!!

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is something your pet would be interested in...I can't even say if mine will like it yet but I've ordered it for some distraction while work gets done on my bathroom. It might give you a few minutes to sit down after work though!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is something your pet would be interested in...I can't even say if mine will like it yet but I've ordered it for some distraction while work gets done on my bathroom. It might give you a few minutes to sit down after work though!
We have that. It doesn't get used very often. Keith figured it out in about 2 seconds and quickly gets all the treats before any of the others have a chance to investigate!:lol:

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat loves Da Bird toys. They have different attachments also. There's one attachment called Da Wild Thing which is his favorite. He runs around and does flips in the air. Really tires him out :D They have a fur thing which is catnip filled that he plays on his own with.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cat dancer is a great one for getting cats to jump and run around, and has been a favorite with both of my cats. Plus, they're super cheap ($2 on Amazon as an add-on). I currently have three in various stages of disintegration because Juniper likes to chew on them during the day while I'm at work.

I have heard this idea about laser pointers causing "frustration" and it puzzles me because the same people who advance this theory will also say in cat behavior threads that cats are incapable of "human" emotions like jealousy, resentment, etc. Both of my cats have played with the laser pointer lots, and seemed to enjoy it. I've never noticed signs of frustration. But if you're worried, KarenKat KarenKat 's solution is a good one. It's also a great toy for the end of the day when you're tired...just flip on the TV, flop on the couch, and with the flick of a wrist and very little exertion on your part, your cat will be running all over the apartment.

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear you on the being exhausted after work thing. I found a great option for play which also allows me to sit. Basically you get a wand toy and poke ignore out slightly from under a blanket/duvet, enticing the cat to pounce. I arrange the blanket in a semicircle shape so I can easily move the stick around while sitting in one spot. My cat likes the catit raffia mouse on a stick best for this game. Bonus for making stractching sounds on the sheet.

My cat also seems to prefer ground prey. Da cat, Jackson galaxy’s air prey wand etc don’t hold her interest. Very sad about da cat as I really wanted her to move around more lol.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have that. It doesn't get used very often. Keith figured it out in about 2 seconds and quickly gets all the treats before any of the others have a chance to investigate!
It just arrived this afternoon and of course we had to try it out (right before dinnertime...good planning on my part, eh?). Both the girls enjoyed it along with my son and they were into it for a good ten minutes. Mizu's more food motivated, Raja got her share and then continued to watch Mizu get the harder ones.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats favorite toys are da bird, da bee, those colorful springs, the kong refillable catnip toys (squirrel, mouse, etc), buttermoth plush with feathers that goes with the da bird wand, and there's a little real fur mouse toy with a feather tail on amazon (real fur specifically, I cut the eyes off)

#1 favs are da bee for my girl and the fur mouse for my boy

Last edited:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another favorite of my cats is a little mouse that runs around. It's powered by a watch battery and pretty tiny. I will put sheets of newspaper down on the floor and put the mouse under the paper. The cats go crazy chasing it, ripping up the paper. It makes a big mess, but it's easily cleaned up and the cats will spend a good half hour enjoying a hunt while I can relax.

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg thank you so much for all the recommendations!!! Pixie id about to get spoiled when this Amazon box comes through!!!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
weebeasties weebeasties where did you find the mouse? I think Pixie would love that.

This is the shenanigans she gets into when bored. View attachment 243511
Pretty sure I got it from Petsmart. I don't think I saw it there the other day but they definitely had a different one that looks like a bug. It works the same way. (I have both). I think they cost about $5.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is a ground hunter too! She’s a bush cat in general; the highest she likes to go is the back of the couch. I find that anything that zooms along the ground lightly is a big hit with her; even common household items. Straws were very popular for a week, she’ll chase a cheerio for ages and the plastic clip that comes with the bread? Fantastic. Now my cat isn’t a chewer, so these things are safe for her. She never puts them in her mouth, and I just slides them along the floor. If it makes a “skittering” noise or movement she streaks after it. For alone time, we’ve also had big success with ping pong balls, because they’re light and when she bats them, they bounce off of other objects. Another big hit was a little battery powered bug I found at Petsmart. Just buzzes along the floor and she stalks it.

The other bush cat thing Busy loves? Hunting things under the rugs. Put the wand toy or the buzzing bug under a rug and twitch a bit. She’s totally enthralled. Hope you guys have fun!

Pixie_kitttie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MargoLane MargoLane these are all great ideas, thank you!! The buzzing toy, is it with a string you pull and it buzzes for a few second? I had a ladybug once that did that, my ferrets loved it.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MargoLane MargoLane these are all great ideas, thank you!! The buzzing toy, is it with a string you pull and it buzzes for a few second? I had a ladybug once that did that, my ferrets loved it.
The ladybug sounds fun! No string! Just a little bug that vibrated, which makes it buzz around the floor. This isn’t exactly it, but looks pretty similar!

Anniecat_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Trixie mad scientist food toy! It’s not like the ones you’re looking for but it definitely is fun! Another toy we make is a toilet paper role with the ends folded in and dry food inside. It’s fun to chase around the floor and try to get food out!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
For my cat that likes to chase things on the ground,run, and grab things, She loves the Go Cat Catcher, Ripple Rug, 72inch tower,cubes from Target on line,3 way tunnel, any wand toy with a toy she can grab.
FB_IMG_1491003811948.jpg