Need new cat intro advice. New cat stalking old.

tinkerwitt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We currently have a 10 year old female cat named Annie. She is petite and deaf and got along well with her two kitty 'brothers' until they passed away; one of cancer, a few years back - the other of kidney disease this past July. Annie has seemed more withdrawn since being an only cat and she really took cues as to what to do from seeing what they did since she cannot hear.

Enter Turk - a big and poofy male cat who is also 10 years old. I took him in because I knew something about treating feline diabetes and thought I could help him and maybe give Annie a companion. To humans he's sweet floofy lap cat. He made himself at home right away. I sensed no fear from him with being in a new place. He's from a foster home as he was given up because his owner went into a nursing home. I know nothing about if he's been with other cats or not. We've had him at the house a little over a week now. I guess I've been lucky until now because the cats I've had and adopted all got along quickly. This one is proving to be a tricky situation.

With Annie and Turk, they initially hissed and growled at each other through the bedroom door I had Turk behind. Then they were ok with that. I've switched them back and forth so they can investigate each other's territories. They seemed ok with being around each other through a baby gate. This stage didn't last too long though because Annie decided she was going to try to shove herself through the gate bars and almost get stuck.

We went to supervised visits together which went ok until we had a bad experience where the cats got away from us and Turk ran up to Annie under a table and I couldn't see what exactly happened but Annie freaked out. Since then she just curls up and lays down whenever Turk is near. Turk always seems to need to be near her in some way. He won't leave her alone. He doesn't seem to be showing aggressive posture and Annie is the one to growl first when he's too close - not like Annie would hear him anyway if he did it first. We break them up when one gets vocal. We reward and praise them both when they are near each other and being good.

I just can't figure out if Turk is stalking Annie because he wants a friend or if he's trying to assert some dominance? He always goes up to her so slowly around us but if he sees a loophole where he can get to her without us interfering - zoom - he's right there. He's slipped through a door like that. I can't tell if he's striking or doing anything to her because it all happens so fast and just out of sight. Thus far Annie has gotten through unscathed so maybe it's her just flipping out cause she wasn't expecting him and hasn't accepted him fully yet?

They will use each other's things and be ok with it, despite having all their own stuff so I don't think scent is a problem.

Is there a way I can redirect Turks stalking behavior? Annie acts ok with him around and free if he would just give her some space. I've went back to having them be in separate rooms doors shut again to start over. Unfortunately, I have a very small house and there's not many places to have them separated. Whatever cat doing time in the bedroom is bored and wants out. Having them take shifts helps.

I know I haven't been at this long but would welcome any advice! Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Can she hear even a little bit? Try putting a bell on him, that might give her a better chance of knowing where he is so that she's not being blindsided at times.

CityCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have an answer for you as I have the same problem with my two cats. My resident cat OC is ok with the new cat NC as long as she is at an arm's length because NC has been randomly slapping OC for no reason before. We are still separating them for the night and OC has now taken to hiding in our closet after food, so we're not really sure where to go from here...

I have found that playing with OC alone without NC in the room helps her relax a bit, so maybe you can try that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinkerwitt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Can she hear even a little bit? Try putting a bell on him, that might give her a better chance of knowing where he is so that she's not being blindsided at times.
He actually came with a little bell on his collar which helpful, for us, lol. Unfortunately, she's completely deaf so it won't help her. She responds to no noise. You can clap your hands right behind her head and no response. We use hand signals with her but if she's not looking at you she won't get them.

tinkerwitt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have an answer for you as I have the same problem with my two cats. My resident cat OC is ok with the new cat NC as long as she is at an arm's length because NC has been randomly slapping OC for no reason before. We are still separating them for the night and OC has now taken to hiding in our closet after food, so we're not really sure where to go from here...

I have found that playing with OC alone without NC in the room helps her relax a bit, so maybe you can try that?
We make sure she's still getting lots of love one on one. It's just weird to feel so close yet so far when it comes to them getting along. Turk needs to learn about personal space, lol.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
This thread is an interesting read if you haven't seen it yet, for human interaction with a deaf cat.

What about a dab of vanilla on his collar every couple days for a while, so she can smell him coming and have a better chance of getting used to him that way?

tinkerwitt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This thread is an interesting read if you haven't seen it yet, for human interaction with a deaf cat.
[/URL]

What about a dab of vanilla on his collar every couple days for a while, so she can smell him coming and have a better chance of getting used to him that way?
Thanks for that link. I see I already do a lot of that. :) We used to have blind and deaf senior dogs that we took in to be loved so once we caught on she was deaf it wasn't a hard adjustment. I've found tapping near her works better when you want her attention and she's sleeping. Basic signs like smiling and waving at her and pointing if you want her somewhere work well. I still talk to her because she looks at faces. She wasn't always deaf so maybe seeing people still talk to her is comforting? She still meows a bit. Sometimes it's hardly any sound and sometimes it's quite loud. It's when that started happening, I suspected a hearing problem and it was confirmed at a vet. She's had seizure like episodes in the past and it coincided with the latest one at the time.

Adding a scent to Turk, as another cue for Annie, might help until he goes into 'search and love/destroy mode.' Then she wouldn't have time to respond. When we bring them together though we always make sure she puts eyes on him so it's not a surprise he's in the same room and one of us is usually in-between them anyway because Turk wants to come right up and get in her face. It's usually Annie that slips away to go to another one of her usual spots and then Turk runs right after.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a way I can redirect Turks stalking behavior?
I think playing with him, even when, and maybe especially when, he's too focussed on her. If you have to literally pick him up and wave a toy in his face, repeatedly, over time this may train him to be more calm about her.

tinkerwitt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think playing with him, even when, and maybe especially when, he's too focussed on her. If you have to literally pick him up and wave a toy in his face, repeatedly, over time this may train him to be more calm about her.
We've been doing that over the past day and it's helped. :)

He got close to her again today, this time within sight, and he made no attempt to hurt her but Annie started flipping out. Unfortunately, I have to yell over her yowling at Turk to get him to move away because Annie can't hear anything. He just stood there like "I didn't do anything wrong" while Annie's still drama queening out. She didn't even try to get away. It was a weird exchange.

I bought a bag of treats since they are both food motivated. I got Turk away from Annie with one and gave Annie one too, plus some love so she knew she was ok. Turk is such good kitty. I think he just wanted to lay down next to her (she was awake - so no element of surprise) but she's just not ready yet.

tinkerwitt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Between playing and treats, we've made some progress.

Annie has gone up to Turk to sniff his tail - only to hiss. This picture is them earlier today. Poor Turk wants to be close to Annie so he slowly lowered his paw to her. She let it happen for a moment before hissing - Turk then slowly retracted his paw in defeat. :lol: This is progress though because normally she'd be shrieking if he was this close.

I've also taught Turk to sit before getting treats. He picked up on that quickly! He's a smart boy. :)

progress with turk.jpg