Need Litterbox Advice

izzyzyzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I have a four month old cat named Luna, and my roommate has a four year old cat named Missy. Missy lived in a single cat apartment for about two years before I moved in and got Luna. They've adjusted well, I think.
Here's the problem. Missy and Luna have separate litter boxes. Missy will only use hers, while Luna uses both. My roommate and I want to keep them separate, because Missy will pee in my roommates bed when Luna uses it. I don't know how to go about doing this. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Missy's box is upstairs and Luna's is downstairs. This issue is creating tension in the home. Please help!

ivyandnala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly... that's really tough. The only thing I can think of is more litter boxes. Get an extra one for Missy. Maybe even consider getting an extra one for Luna. Put them in different parts of the house (2 upstairs and 2 downstairs). That's more cleanup for you, but it can't be worse than cleaning the bed after an accident. My prediction: each cat will choose one litter box to pee in and one to poop in. Cats generally like to go in the same spot, so once they've decided where they prefer, they usually stick to it.

I really don't think you can just get Luna to stop using the other tray without putting it somewhere she can't reach. That would mean locking one cat upstairs and one downstairs. More boxes is your best bet I think.

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try adding an extra litter box next to Missy’s. Hopefully Luna will only use one and Missy gets her own box again. I believe Luna is using Missy’s box as a way to “dominate” her by covering Missy’s scent with hers. Female cats are the alphas in the cat world and looks like Luna is the new alpha of the house.

Try to encourage more play time between the two of them to bond them. As Missy gets more comfortable with Luna and the new alpha set up, hopefully she will be more comfortable finding Luna’s scent in her box.