need kitten food

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I have been bottle feeding an abandoned kitten for 3 weeks. she is now approx 4 - 5 weeks old. I wanted to wing her to soft food and have tried various brands to no avail. Can anyone make a recommendation of kitten food she might like. Thank you so much

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can also try Gerber chicken or turkey meat baby food. Kittens seem to love it. I also recommend Fancy Feast kitten wet food. It comes in a turkey and a fish flavor. Be advised if she does not take to wet food readily she may not be quite ready to wean, and may need the bottle for another week or so. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. I will try the baby food next, but I'll wait a few days as you suggest. Really appreciate your help.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just switched to instinct kitten and mixed kmr in it to make it as slurry. They all loved it, except one.. for him I used a catit stick and after a few times he happily started eating wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is off and on with this baby. Sometimes she likes soft food and will take a bite, then other times won't touch it. I'm just going to watch her . I'm going to try and find the instinct kitten food. That;s one I haven't tried. Thanks for all your help.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
If she doesn't eat just yet then I wouldn't worry too much, she's only around a month old and still need her milk. I've fostered and had many little kittens and some don't start to eat properly until 5 or 6 weeks, however its still good to try and let them smell and taste some wet food before then.
I would recommend Royal Canin Mother and Babycat wet foods, or Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Baby Canned Food. You could also try Hills wet food or the Purina Proplan Focus line of wet foods.
Make sure that whatever food you get it is high in protein as kittens will thrive with high amounts of protein and low carbs, and ensure that they are strong and active.
You could also try some cat sauces (eg Lick-e-Lix) but not all of these sauces are suitable for kittens, so be careful.
Hope this helps. 🙂