Need Kitten food advice please

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so my story is kinda long. My kitten had a bump on her lip..finally got her into the doctor and learned it is an eosinophilic granuloma which is an allergic reaction to something..up to me to figure it out. She is only 5 months so she can't have steroids.
Since then I have noticed her scratching. She does not have fleas, and that is usually the first thing to rule out with this.
Since she is scratching plus the lip thing, I'm starting to think it might be her food. However, I feel like I give her one of the best foods. I give her Blue Wilderness for kittens. I also think she may have asthma!! I swear I cannot imagine my house being this dusty to cause these problems!
So I am not sure now which brand of food I should try next? Or maybe it is her litter?
I'd like to add that she is not miserable. She is overall very happy and still having fun being a kitten and doing all kitten things and cuddles and purrs. The scratching is not 24/7. It is just here and there throughout the day. Her lip has not gotten worse, It looks like it has gone down a bit. We did start her on a flea med, however she didn't have fleas so it can't be that.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She doesn't really have to be on kitten food at this point. As long as you feed her something that says "All Stages" that should be fine. So, that opens up an entire new world to you. If you want to try some very limited ingredient foods, you go with something like Rawz or maybe Hounds and Gatos. Other brands say they are limited ingredient, but many of them have peas in them, which is often an allergen.

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with mrsgreenjeens. Switching to a brand that is all life stages is perectly fine and that way you can try more limited ingredient formulas and see if it might be a food allergy. We got our kitten around 8 weeks old ( he was a rescue) and since then he has been on rawz which for all life stages. They have single protein cans like duck, turkey, rabbit, etc without other proteins so its a good way to test proteints.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesn't really have to be on kitten food at this point. As long as you feed her something that says "All Stages" that should be fine. So, that opens up an entire new world to you. If you want to try some very limited ingredient foods, you go with something like Rawz or maybe Hounds and Gatos. Other brands say they are limited ingredient, but many of them have peas in them, which is often an allergen.
Yes there are peas in her current food! Good to know!!

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with mrsgreenjeens. Switching to a brand that is all life stages is perectly fine and that way you can try more limited ingredient formulas and see if it might be a food allergy. We got our kitten around 8 weeks old ( he was a rescue) and since then he has been on rawz which for all life stages. They have single protein cans like duck, turkey, rabbit, etc without other proteins so its a good way to test proteints.
Awesome thank you!

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I really didn't even think about her not needing special kitten food!