Need Immediate Help, Freya Is Acting Weird

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what happened or why she’s acting like this all of a sudden. She was in my brothers room and he scared her with something some object, and now she doesn’t even trust my discarded clothing or my bed! I tried to set her down on my bed and she threw a fit, launching herself from my arms!

I have no idea what is causing this hyper aware skittish scared nature of her, because she has never acted this way! What do I do?!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what happened or why she’s acting like this all of a sudden. She was in my brothers room and he scared her with something some object, and now she doesn’t even trust my discarded clothing or my bed! I tried to set her down on my bed and she threw a fit, launching herself from my arms!

I have no idea what is causing this hyper aware skittish scared nature of her, because she has never acted this way! What do I do?!
Ask your brother what happened!
Don't try to confine her not even with your arms.
Try sitting near her and speaking softly, perhaps reading out loud, or a radio or tv on low.
I flagged for more/better advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your brother what happened!
Don't try to confine her not even with your arms.
Try sitting near her and speaking softly, perhaps reading out loud, or a radio or tv on low.
I flagged for more/better advice
He said he saw her looking at a cable and I immediately knew what happened. He like an idiot picked it up and scared her. Now she thinks there’s a snake in the house. I’ve been talking to her and brushing her with her favorite comb, even moved her to her perch on my window so that she feels safer. I’m so worried now. What did he do to my poor kitty?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I think it is important that you remain calm and talk to her calmly, she will feel safe again soon! She is probably just a little unnerved right now!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Keep brushing and comforting, hopefully she will completely calm down. I have read that some cats have short memories in some instances, maybe this will be one? If it was Gypsy I would try crawling around poking under things to show her no snake in room.

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s moved to her favorite box on my chair beside the bed now, right now I’m more worried about her feelings towards my bed than my clothing, since she always loved sleeping on my bed in my room. She seems calm enough right now. I’ll keep you guys updated.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Just hang out with her and reassure her softly, as dustydiamond suggests. I wouldn't leave her on her own for a bit. She'll start to calm down in a while and forget about her scare, though may hold a grudge against your brother and his snake. I'd grill him later and get to the bottom of what he did, and explain to him how much he scared her and that it wasn't fair.

But cats are notoriously easily spooked; though, thankfully, they also have a relatively short recovery time. My cat, Dudley, jumped at least 3 feet straight up in the air the other day when we accidentally moved the tv cable an inch. We guessed he must have thought it was some sort of wild animal too. He was shaken for a while but has completely forgotten about his "ordeal" now. Poor sausage.

Keep us posted with updates. And try not to worry too much as your anxiety will rub off on your cat and make her healing/forgetting time longer.

:alright:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Just hang out with her and reassure her softly, as dustydiamond suggests. I wouldn't leave her on her own for a bit. She'll start to calm down in a while and forget about her scare, though may hold a grudge against your brother and his snake. I'd grill him later and get to the bottom of what he did, and explain to him how much he scared her and that it wasn't fair.

But cats are notoriously easily spooked; though, thankfully, they also have a relatively short recovery time. My cat, Dudley, jumped at least 3 feet straight up in the air the other day when we accidentally moved the tv cable an inch. We guessed he must have thought it was some sort of wild animal too. He was shaken for a while but has completely forgotten about his "ordeal" now. Poor sausage.

Keep us posted with updates. And try not to worry too much as your anxiety will rub off on your cat and make her healing/forgetting time longer.

:alright:
:yess::clap::clap2::cheerleader:

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s calmed down, not all the way yet, still some apphrension about the bed, but she’s getting there.

Edit: I remembered I had some of her favorite treats and put them along the bed. She has climbed onto the bed and doesn’t seem that scared of it anymore.

Last edited:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Favourite treats can go along way towards forgetfulness. Cats and their oh-so-hungry tummies, hey! I'm pleased she settling down again. It's awfully worrying when our beloveds have minor blips and scares. I'm a terrible fusspot too, and will stand guard over any unusual occurrence until it passes.

:mommy: