Need idea's, overly playful boy terrorizing his roommates

paziqi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really need some ideas here, I'm hoping someone can suggest something.  I am currently mom to 5 cats.  My oldest three are all about 9 (2 males, 1 female) years old, then I have a 6 year old girl, and my youngest is a male, about 3 years old.  Back in August I had my then oldest cat put down, after a lengthy illness.

My youngest boy has always been overly exuberant, but for the most part the others handled things fine.  Since the family went from 6 to 5 cats, however, a problem has developed, and it has become very serious.  He is picking on my 9 year old girl almost constantly, to the point where she will not come out of hiding, even to eat, drink or use the litter box.  I have taken to locking him up for part of the day, just so that she can get out and do what she needs to do.  But I do not believe this is a good solution for either of them.

The boy was originally a stray, and is eager to spend time outside.  Since I adopted him, he has been indoor only; except for the times he sneaks out when I'm going in or out.  I believe there would not be a problem with transitioning him to an outdoor cat, but I do not want to do that.

As a note, the boy picks on all the other cats, but the rest just give back what they get, and go about their buisness.  It's only his relationship with this one girl that has become a problem.  His behavior does not appear to be aggressive to me, he just seems to want something to play with.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Since he's clearly comfortable outside, have you considered taking him out on a leash to let him burn off some energy safely? Also, have you tried scheduled playtime with him? Three is still really young and he may just be looking to her to burn off energy. if you can burn off that energy before he gets to her, he may start leaving her alone.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paziqi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since he's clearly comfortable outside, have you considered taking him out on a leash to let him burn off some energy safely? Also, have you tried scheduled playtime with him? Three is still really young and he may just be looking to her to burn off energy. if you can burn off that energy before he gets to her, he may start leaving her alone.

Good luck!
I hadn't thought of allowing him supervised outside time.  I've spent so much time trying to discourage his desire to be outside, it never occured to me.  But if that would help, it would be preferable to the current situation.

We do have play time now.  He's a hard one to tire out though.  The others will stop playing long before he is ready to quit.  But maybe I can give it a little more effort. 

Thanks so much for the ideas.  It is breaking my heart right now, between the two of them.  Either one or the other is miserable right now.  I have to find a way to fix this.