Need idea's on getting nails trimmed for obstinate cat.

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had difficulty trimming my cat Zac's claws ever since I got him as a six week old kitten. (He is now almost 2 years old). I generally try to do it when he is calm or sleepy, but even then, I am lucky if I can get one paw done. His usual behavior is to attack and bite at the clippers, hissing, growlling, and generally trying to get away. The other three cats don't like it either, but they at least sit still long enough to get the job done. Zac won't.
The other day I saw cat muzzles at the store, and I am thinking about trying one. But I'm worried that it might upset him more. He's the most aggressive of my cats, but unless he feels threatened, he's very sweet, and loving. I don't want to damage his personality. Would muzzling him hurt him? I'm also wondering if that might be good to use at the vets... his last vet visit was worthless. He wouldn't let anyone touch him.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
have you tried wrapping him up in a towel and have 1 paw sticking out at a time, i do this for trimming and also for putting in ear drops or even medicine by mouth.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Javern

have you tried wrapping him up in a towel and have 1 paw sticking out at a time, i do this for trimming and also for putting in ear drops or even medicine by mouth.
This is what I do too. I swaddle my cats tight in a couple of towels and cradle them in my arms on their backs like a baby and pull one paw out at a time. I've also been using this method most recently to clean Jake's toes that were all raw and inflamed.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am lucky if I get one paw done too..But my BF will do the clipping while I do the holding.
And we don't do more than two at a time...It generally takes all day to get done..
Every few hours we do another couple and mine is an amazing fighter too throughout the process...mainly growling and yowling..
I don't like to stress him out though so only do two at a time...

Good Luck! I thought I would never be able to get them done either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Javern

I have tried this before, but he always manages to get himself loose. Either I'm not doing it right, or he's just that much more determined than I am.

I'm not going to try the muzzle. I talked to my vet, and she didn't like the idea. She suggested the towel, too. I'll probably give that a try again.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jeamy

I have tried this before, but he always manages to get himself loose. Either I'm not doing it right, or he's just that much more determined than I am.
The trick is to wrap them VERY tight. The towel has to be up to his head too (with the little face peeking out). Not just wrapped around the body. I've always used this method and have had it on my website forever. You made me think though and I think in the near future I will demonstrate it and put pictures on my grooming page! But you could be on something when you say he just could be more determined then you!
After all, cats do seem to be very independent and self driven!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I think in the near future I will demonstrate it and put pictures on my grooming page!
I think that would be helpful. I tried again today, and it didn't go much better. I wrapped him up, then pulled one paw out to try and trim, and he pulled the other 3 out, and ran away.

Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

But you could be on something when you say he just could be more determined then you!
After all, cats do seem to be very independent and self driven!
That's one of the things I enjoy about them. They know their opinion counts, and they won't let you tell them different. If only they'd admit that our opinions count once in a while, too.