Need Ideas For Particular Scratcher

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another post, another cat question. Hope you all don't mind talking about cats ;)

I had posted in the past about one of my kittens exclusively scratching furniture/ carpet and refusing anything else that I offered. The go-to cardboard didn't work (and gets torn up by the other cat, who REALLY likes to shred cardboard), sisal rope, nor carpet scratcher. My observations have led me to believe he prefers carpet/ fiber. He doesn't seem to have a preference for horizontal or vertical, as he goes for the rug or side of the couch/ bed. I do have a cat tree that has sisal posts (he can't be bothered), plus like material on the levels, and the "bed" areas are trimmed with a kind of upholstery cloth. If he does scratch on the tree, it's the trim he goes for, occasionally the plush. He plays and sleeps on it just fine, but it's not sutiable for him to scratch.

I *think* what might be his issue, is that anything I've offered moves. When I showed him a small carpet covered scratcher, he tipped it over and has not been near it since. The cat tree wobbles some, and the cardboard scratcher he used to at least check out and sit on but he obviously can move it. He never got in position on top of it, more like sitting next to it, so it would pull to him. I have a round ball track thing with cardboard that is ignored, except tonight I pulled out the catnip and he actually happened to sit on it and scratch it!

So, I think I need something heavy enough to take a beating from a little 8lb monster. Short of picking up a discarded piece of furniture, does anybody have any ideas as to what might fit the bill? Or how to secure a typical scratcher?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We tucked this one between the bed frame and the mattress to secure it. It moves a bit from side to side, but my kittens love it and have stopped scratching the bed. We got it from PetSmart.

IMG_20190105_005522.jpg

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe weighing the scratcher down?? or getting one with a heavier base, some other suggestions- sprinkling cat nip on it or even showing your cat how to use it and trying different materials. you can also use deterrents such as double sided tape or aluminum foil on the furniture hes scratching

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had this for 2 years. I got the bigger one for Xmas. She scratched the sides and top. Also played on it

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our last cat preferred carpet or furniture, so I picked up several small area rugs on sale; carpet samples would work, too, and sometimes DIY or furniture stores give away their old ones. Some were placed flat on the floor, and others tacked to the wall in his favorite spots beside doors. He ruined an upholstered dining room chair, so he got that, and it was replaced a couple of times over the years when somebody was getting rid of their old set (I steamcleaned whatever I took).

Mowgli prefers the cardboard scratchers, but also uses a sisal-covered board attached to the wall in the hallway and the very sturdy sisal-covered column of his ceiling-high cat tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
We tucked this one between the bed frame and the mattress to secure it. It moves a bit from side to side, but my kittens love it and have stopped scratching the bed. We got it from PetSmart.

View attachment 269561
That seems likes a great idea for the bedroom!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe weighing the scratcher down?? or getting one with a heavier base, some other suggestions- sprinkling cat nip on it or even showing your cat how to use it and trying different materials. you can also use deterrents such as double sided tape or aluminum foil on the furniture hes scratching
Ideas to weigh down scratchers would help. I've done the catnip and went as far as taking his paws to simulate scratching, using his "brother" to demonstrate, and scratching myself. He just does not care, although he does appreciate rubbing against the nip. I have booby trapped my house as much as I can (counter surfers) from blockades to tape to foil. They like the crinkle of the foil, get around or pull off the tape, and push through any barriers I put up. I swear I'm just making them stronger and smarter, and they're not even a year old!

You'd think I've never lived with a cat before.. I used to laugh at all those jokes of cats being cute little jerks, thinking people didn't know what they were doing or it was exclusive to high energy cats. I knew my old man was a great cat, but oh man, I really had it easy for the last 13 yrs. He was also an adult, so kittenhood is a whole new beast. But ya, I get it now; I have 2 very sweet, playful, adorable little jerks who seem to take great joy in driving me crazy.