Need ideas for enrichment for a feral confined to a small space and with limited mobility!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

We trapped a sick feral named Pretty Kitty (PK) and we have him in our fairly small bathroom.

PK has been undergoing treatment for a few weeks now and very likely has at least a few more weeks in there.

We’ve kept many cats in this bathroom temporarily before, and it’s been workable by placing the litter box in the tub, food/water and a bed or small condo on the counter, hanging a radiator hammock on the cabinet doors, and maximizing vertical space otherwise with trees and shelves.

However, this cat’s sense of balance and ability to balance is impaired, and he can also be disoriented at times. So height is not only dangerous for him, but he also doesn’t seem to be inclined to even so much as sleep on to of the pet carrier in there.

We’ve also been trying to get him to use the litterbox in the tub to no avail so far (every once in a while he climbs in the tub, so we know he technically can but aren’t sure how difficult it actually is for him yet).

I’ve put toys, a kicker, and tried three different scratchers in there and he never uses any of it. So far, he’s not understanding things like treat puzzles or ball tracks/towers, either. The only enrichment he’s responded to is catnip.

And since he’s feral and sick, we also can’t play with him, and automatic toys are too noisy.

We have Feliway plugged in and we play cat music, and we’re about to put a self-groomer thing in there too today, but I’m genuinely struggling to come up with ideas to enhance his environment given his mobility limitations and lack of space. I’m concerned about him potentially becoming depressed.

This is the space we’re working with -

38712476-988E-454A-A905-DDBEA2E75BCC.jpeg

DF085F55-B467-4D9A-BCE2-7562CA245EF2.jpeg

(The things sticking up all over the place are puppy pads 😆)

Floor space is only about 3’x7’ :/

If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears! We’re stumped at this point.

Last edited:

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

We trapped a sick feral named Pretty Kitty (PK) and we have him in our fairly small bathroom.

PK has been undergoing treatment for a few weeks now and very likely has at least a few more weeks in there.

We’ve kept many cats in this bathroom temporarily before, and it’s been workable by placing the litter box in the tub, food/water and a bed or small condo on the counter, hanging a radiator hammock on the cabinet doors, and maximizing vertical space otherwise with trees and shelves.

However, this cat’s sense of balance and ability to balance is impaired, and he can also be disoriented at times. So height is not only dangerous for him, but he also doesn’t seem to be inclined to even so much as sleep on to of the pet carrier in there.

We’ve also been trying to get him to use the litterbox in the tub to no avail so far (every once in a while he climbs in the tub, so we know he technically can but aren’t sure how difficult it actually is for him yet).

I’ve put toys, a kicker, and tried three different scratchers in there and he never uses any of it. So far, he’s not understanding things like treat puzzles or ball tracks/towers. The only enrichment he’s responded to is catnip.

And since he’s feral and sick, we also can’t play with him, and automatic toys are too noisy.

We have Feliway plugged in and we play cat music, and we’re about to put a self-groomer thing in there too today, but I’m genuinely struggling to come up with ideas to enhance his environment given his mobility limitations and lack of space. I’m concerned about him potentially becoming depressed.

This is the space we’re working with -

View attachment 352875
View attachment 352874
(The things sticking up all over the place are puppy pads 😆)

Floor space is only about 3’x7’ :/

If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears! We’re stumped at this point.
If you can find a large paper bag and cut the handles off he might like to hid in it .I saw catnip infused ones but can’t remember whereHe is a beauty,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
If you can find a large paper bag and cut the handles off he might like to hid in it .I saw catnip infused ones but can’t remember whereHe is a beauty,
Thank you, that’s a great idea. We’ve used them before so I know where to get them too!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor guy. If he is sick, disoriented and in a new place he just isn’t going to feel like playing. I would maybe try a food puzzle where he needs to paw a lever or wheel to get a treat.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
boxes with holes cut into them that fit the space or possibly a tunnel - enclosed spaces for safety and - you can attach dangly toys on the inside? We use tissue boxes for enrichment - stuff them full of fabric or paper and hide a smelly tasty treat ... ( any other small box works too - cut holes ... ) , If you get one of those toilet seat cover things ... that would make a nice low perch ...