Need helpful hints on how to put flea treatment on a very resistant kitty

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would appreciate anyone's input on how to apply flea treatment.  My cat, Caya, is not a very happy girl at the moment. I found a tapeworm segment in my house and I swear I am still gagging..It was the grossest thing I have ever seen..It just so happens that I was cooking rice at that exact moment! What are the odds?? I immediately went to the vet and got medicine for the worms and flea prevention to treat my dog and both cats.  My dog  and cat took the pill fine and sat there while I put the flea prevention on.. Caya on the other hand refused the pill that I had crushed into her wet food.  I had to go back to the vet and buy two more pills and she refused those too..I ended up having to take her to the vet to get a shot.  I thought putting the flea stuff on would be a piece of cake..Oh no ma'am..She freaked out..I have got to get this medicine on her to prevent another tapeworm situation..I don't want to traumatize my girl but I am winning this battle..Maybe this is what it feels like to have a daughter.  I only have sons so I never had to deal with drama and stubbornness.   Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
My Wendel is jumpy about flea stuff, so I wait until he's dozing and carefully put it on then (usually I just get a "I know you did something but can't figure out what" look when he wakes up.) One thing I find helps is to apply it all in one go - my guys absolutely freak out at the sound of the capsule squishing, so I squeeze it slowly to eliminate the sound and try to empty it on the first go.

Good luck! They can be a handful with medication, sometimes.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can roll her up in a towel burrito style with only her head sticking out.  Have someone else hold the burrito while you squeeze the medicine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your ideas.  I think I will try both.  First I will see if she will let me put it when she is dozing off and if not, burrito it is! And I will be sure to pop the capsule when they are out of the room..I am a grown woman who has been stressing all day over this..These cats are just too much, I swear..They make me jump through hoops!