Need help with scaredy cat

quarinteen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. I need some help with my cat. I have had her since she was a kitten. She has never been abused or beaten or attacked. She has never known violence at all. For whatever reason every single noice freaks her out. Soft noises get her attention and put her in flight mode and loud noises just freak her out she panics and bolts. This is where the problem comes in. She loves to follow me around all day for pets. Since I work from home I she gets a ton of attention.

She also loves to sleep with me which I dont mind typically Except for when those loud noises freak her out and she takes of and completely does not care where she digs her nails. She does this all the time but lately it seems to be getting worse. I try to keep her nails trimmed just for this reason. Well around 5am she got in bed with me and got under the covers like usual. I’m not sure what the noise was I think my phone fell on the floor, and when she did her freak out bs she went over my head which has happened before and like other times she scratched me face. Except this time she damn near took my eye out.

the past couple of days when she has tried to get in bed with me I won’t let her. I feel bad because I understand she does not know what she did but at the same time I am fed up with her cowardice. What can I do? Iwant to figure out how to curb tail this reaction of hers. If I cannot I have decided I am going to have to have her declawed. Which I really do not want to do because I know and understand 100% what that consists of and I do not agree with it nor do I condone it typically, but I don’t know what else to do if I can’t get this to stop.

I do not want to sound rude, but I want to ask if you do not have any actual advise to help me, then please do not respond. Like I said I know exactly what declawing is and I know exactly how they do it. I believe it’s wrong and cruel as well so please save the lecture.

With that thank you and I hope someone has something I can do or try.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you had her, and how old is she now? You could try to gradually get her used to noises, such as playing music in the house - it doesn't have to be overly loud, just enough to break the silence and as a distraction to other noises. Even TV at certain times to help her hear different noises, other than just music. The phone falling down could be more than just a noise factor - cats also get startled from things that disrupt their sleep/relaxed mode. It is just like any human - a noise coming out of nowhere can be pretty 'heart pumping' at times - the shock of the unexpected.

I will tell you that Feeby (15+ yo) - although much better than she used to be - will still freak out at thunder and run. When she is on her screened in patio, and she hears a garbage truck outside she still gets into 'danger, danger' mode. So, there will be a lessening with the reactions over time, but they may never go away entirely.

Keeping her nails cut - as often and as short as you can - will also go along way in preventing her from scratching you.

Perhaps, this article will have some ideas for you -

Cat Scared of Noise: How to Help Fearful Cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Before resorting to that (declawing), there are a couple of things to try. First, she may do well with medication. MANY cats do, and can be slowly weaned off of them later on down the line. Second, there are wonderful gel caps for claws. They superglue on. They are soft, blunt, and can be applied at home, AND are inexpensive. While they do shed off in time, they're inexpensive enough that it isn't a huge problem. She may still take off like her tail is on fire, but you won't be left bleeding.

Now, you might want to try putting her on chamomile tea, which is gently calming without being sedating. Purchase the commercial bags from the grocery store, pure chamomile, not a blend. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and administer via syringe or medicine dropper, 1-3 teaspoonfuls (tablespoonfuls for cats over 11 pounds), up to three times a day. You can, btw, also apply it to your scratches as a healing and soothing agent. It's good for all sorts of "skin ouchies," up to and including eczema! I specify the commercial bags because they are ALL made from pure German chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats. The ENGLISH variety, which grows in a lot of gardens, is pretty useless medicinally, and is TOXIC to cats! And they look very much alike.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quarinteen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you had her, and how old is she now? You could try to gradually get her used to noises, such as playing music in the house - it doesn't have to be overly loud, just enough to break the silence and as a distraction to other noises. Even TV at certain times to help her hear different noises, other than just music. The phone falling down could be more than just a noise factor - cats also get startled from things that disrupt their sleep/relaxed mode. It is just like any human - a noise coming out of nowhere can be pretty 'heart pumping' at times - the shock of the unexpected.

I will tell you that Feeby (15+ yo) - although much better than she used to be - will still freak out at thunder and run. When she is on her screened in patio, and she hears a garbage truck outside she still gets into 'danger, danger' mode. So, there will be a lessening with the reactions over time, but they may never go away entirely.

Keeping her nails cut - as often and as short as you can - will also go along way in preventing her from scratching you.

Perhaps, this article will have some ideas for you -

Cat Scared of Noise: How to Help Fearful Cats
Thanks for the reply. I do keep her nails trimmed down. Also she is now about 3 1/2 or 4. I got her when she was maybe 6 weeks. I remember thinking she was way too young to be re homing at the time, but if I had not taken her someone else would have and she was the absolute cutest damn thing I ever saw so I took her.

quarinteen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before resorting to that (declawing), there are a couple of things to try. First, she may do well with medication. MANY cats do, and can be slowly weaned off of them later on down the line. Second, there are wonderful gel caps for claws. They superglue on. They are soft, blunt, and can be applied at home, AND are inexpensive. While they do shed off in time, they're inexpensive enough that it isn't a huge problem. She may still take off like her tail is on fire, but you won't be left bleeding.

Now, you might want to try putting her on chamomile tea, which is gently calming without being sedating. Purchase the commercial bags from the grocery store, pure chamomile, not a blend. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and administer via syringe or medicine dropper, 1-3 teaspoonfuls (tablespoonfuls for cats over 11 pounds), up to three times a day. You can, btw, also apply it to your scratches as a healing and soothing agent. It's good for all sorts of "skin ouchies," up to and including eczema! I specify the commercial bags because they are ALL made from pure German chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats. The ENGLISH variety, which grows in a lot of gardens, is pretty useless medicinally, and is TOXIC to cats! And they look very much alike.
Thank you all very helpful. I did not know they made those for cat claws. I will be heading out to get some soon.

as far as the tea I would like to try it. Hopefully I’ll be able to get her to sit still. See if that helps her freaking ouT. Thank you really that is awesome advise and exactly what I was looking for. I will try all these suggestions. Have a great weekend guys.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF she is too spooky for you to apply them, most vets don't charge much, and groomers can do it, too.

quarinteen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The funny thing is I have another cat that is the complete opposite. You could light a firecracker next to her head and she will just look at you like “what the hell dude” the black / brown / white one is her the orange one is the one that nothing bothers
744FE0B7-682B-41E1-AFDF-3E69956F1BED.jpeg
D12DB6E5-602C-4012-ADAF-8FA21634E40C.jpeg

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems to me that banishingnher from the bedroom is the easiest solution for both you and her. Give her a heated bed somewhere else and then keep your door closed at night. She may cry at your door for a few nights and it that bothers you too much pick her up and put her in her own heated bed. She will eventually settle in and you will both sleep better all night.

quarinteen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seems to me that banishingnher from the bedroom is the easiest solution for both you and her. Give her a heated bed somewhere else and then keep your door closed at night. She may cry at your door for a few nights and it that bothers you too much pick her up and put her in her own heated bed. She will eventually settle in and you will both sleep better all night.
That is a very good suggestion just not very realistic for me. I do lock them out sometimes but I will not be able to be consistent with this because my memory is shit and I’m a pot head. My memory is probably shit because of the pot but that’s for another forum lol.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a very good suggestion just not very realistic for me. I do lock them out sometimes but I will not be able to be consistent with this because my memory is shit and I’m a pot head. My memory is probably shit because of the pot but that’s for another forum lol.
Maybe stick a note on your door to remind yourself.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something may have scared her or startled her and now shes jumpy. Might have happened when you werent home. I trim my cats nails, but hes used to it, and it really does help. If you can't do that, than try one of those Feliway plug ins. They're supposed to release a calming scent into the air only cats can detect.