Need help with recently trapped cat

shewolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently started seeing this small black and white young cat in the neighborhood that I've never seen before, matter of fact we never see cats around.  It looked small and young and scared.  it started sleeping inside my shed so I started putting food out for it hoping to capture it.  There are foxes around and I wanted to save her from getting killed.  The temperatures started dropping and I watched it while it was eating and the poor thing was shaking either from the cold or cause it was scared.  I finally bought an animal trap and captured it because the  temperatures were going to drop below zero and this cat didn't look like it was out in the wild long.  Right now I have it in a small spare room and I put food, water, litter box, bedding and some toys.  It won't come to me and is hiding in the closet, it is scared to death.  When it was in the trap it didn't growl or try to bite me it just sat in the cage, I touched it and it did hiss at me but didn't motion towards me in attack mode, it finally calmed down. I left it in the room for a while in the trap until it seemed calm enough to open the trap.  We opened the trap and left the room so it can come out on it's own.  Well now it stays hidden and really hasn't eaten and I hope it uses the litter box but I don't know what else to do or how to care for it.  I have 2 dogs and 1 male cat natured and I am hoping I can introduce them to each other without any problems.  This cat is so pretty, black and white with black liner around the one eye and the eyes look green and it has white whiskers.  It's really a beautiful cat and it looks like someone just dumped it.  I really could use some advice, I really don't want to put it back out in the wild cause we do have foxes where I live and they have already attacked one of our neighbors little dog. If for some reason I can't keep the car I would like to make sure it finds a good home, maybe someone can send me a cat rescue place not the SPCA......please someone help.

Last edited by a moderator:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello SheWolf!

Welcome to TCS and thank you for helping this kitty.  She's safe now and the fun begins!  Keeping her in a room of her own was the wise thing to do.  One thing I would do is clean the room of hiding places.  This is going to be tricky because she's already in the room but it will help keep her from hiding and speed up her socialization with you.  Move the bed off the frame, block any access under bureaus, etc.  Have someone help you with this as it is going to be nerve racking for all.

Leave her a carrier with a blanket or a cardboard box with a blanket - someplace she can retreat to but that you can be near her.

Socialization is a slow process - and it goes way more slowly when the cat is feral.  If she is indeed a drop-off or stray, you job will be easier, as she is at least familiar with humans.  Go in every day at the same time and feed her.

Go in again and scoop the box.  (If you add a layer of dirt over the litter, she will recognize it for where to poop).  If you find poop outside the box, pick it up and bury it in the box.  Soak up pee and bury the paper towel in the box.  Be sure to soak the peed area with a good enzyme cleaner (Nature;'s Miracle is good).  This will kill the pee smell.

Go in again and sit quietly, talking to her or reading out loud.  Do not loom over her or approach her - just talk to her quietly.  Tell her about your day, ask her about hers.  Hearing your voice and being in your quiet presence will get her used to you.

It may take weeks, it may take days but time and patience is on your side.  A regular schedule is pretty critical.  Cats like things to stay the same.  We recently started our cats on scheduled feeding.  Believe me, they can tell time better than we can!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww poor kitty!  That was very kind of you to save her!  She could in time become a very nice pet for you.  

When I brought my ferals indoors, they had already undergone many months, about 7 to be exact, of taming - which was a very slow process.  @Ondine  is right in that consistency will help.  Maybe a pheromone plug in might help calm her some.  Soft music is good.  A window to look out would be helpful.  Talk softly, no sudden loud noises.  

Also when you go in the room, don't make much eye contact and don't stare.  Cats hate that.  Just go in quietly and sit and ignore her for the most part.  Then slowly day by day, close in the gap, getting closer to her, but avoid staring.  Offer your finger for her to sniff if she wants to.  I even avoided smiling with my teeth showing and S sounds!  Let her come to you and she will.  

Have her litter box near and her food and water near so she doesn't stress about how to get to it.  She may be eating and drinking some, I hope. And be prepared.  Taming a feral will probably take a few months. But be consistent and patient and she will reward you with growing trust!  I made some mistakes taming mine, but the two things I did right was consistency and patience.  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also you mentioned if you can't keep her, you'd like to find her a good home.  First she must be tamed.  Feral cats that are picked up by animal control are immediately euthanized.  They don't take the time to tame them.  Time is what they need, but they aren't given such a luxury.  It's very kind of you to be taking this on!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As Ondine mentioned, you first need to clear the room and block her access to the closet.  You want her out in the open in appropriate hiding spaces.  You can use the cat carrier with a cozy blanket or get a box and put a blanket it in.  Face the box towards a wall so she feels more secure.  You do not want her hiding under the bed or in the closet. 

You also really need to get her to the vet as soon as possible.  You do want to see if she is possibly micro chipped as well as check for spay/neuter.  You will want to have  few tests run as well and a few vaccines.  This is all a must before she meets any of your other animals.  She also will need to be wormed. 

Introductions to your other animals is a long way off.  First you need to work with her once you get the room acclimated.  Here is a list of ideas.  Check out the video link at the end of the list.  It is very helpful when working with feral cats.  Even though she isn't a kitten, many of the techniques will work.

Thank you for rescuing her and saving her.  In my area we have red fox and they are not a danger to the cats at all.  It is the coyotes we worry about.  I have fox in my yard all the time and they coexist with my 3 ferals.  It is so hard to keep the kitties safe.

1. Make sure the room is completely cat proofed. If you are using a spare bedroom, pick the bed up or place it flat on the floor. Under a bed is the first place the cat will run to hide. It is next to impossible to then get the cat out. Also block behind all large furniture. Cats can squeeze into very small places and get themselves stuck. Get on the floor and think like a cat. Make sure closets are closed tightly. You do want to have appropriate hiding places. A cat tree with a hiding box is a great idea. Even an old cardboard box with a cozy blanket works well. I like to turn the box so it is facing the wall. This gives the cat a bit of privacy. Do watch for windows, blinds and curtains. Keep windows tightly closed. Put the blinds up and hide the cords/strings. Also watch for curtains.
2 . Be sure to watch direct eye contact. If this bothers or frightens your cat, have your gaze down or over the top of the cats head. Try slow blinking to the kitty and see if the kitty will return your blinks. Just slowly close your eyes and reopen them while looking at the kitty.

Sit on the floor so that you are not looming over the cat. It can really frighten cats when you sit above them or stand in front of them.

3. When you enter the room, announce your presence. Come in with a special treat. Try to make it something extra special such as plain cooked chicken or canned tuna or salmon. It doesn't have to be much just a small piece. Offer this to the cat once you are sitting. The cat may choose not to eat it in your presence at first. This is ok. You want him/her to associate you with something good.

4. Another food tip is to try Gerber Stage 2 Baby food. It comes in a small glass jar with a blue label ( in the US). You want to use the chicken or turkey. This contains no added spices or sugar, just meat and water. You can try offering some on a plate. Most cats love this and as you progress, you can have the cat move towards eating off a spoon and then eating off your fingers. Remember this is only a training tool and should not be used as a meal replacement.

5. Make your visits short at first, but frequent. I like to visit for 5-10 minutes, then return again in a hour or so. Sit on the floor and talk to your cat. You can even read aloud from a book or magazine. If the cat approaches, remember to keep your gaze down. You can offer a closed fist (knuckles pointing towards the cat). This represents the shape of a cats head. Cats like to head butt other cats or humans to show affection or acceptance.

6. Try playing music for your cat. You can leave it on a radio station that also has some talk. This will continue to allow the cat to get used to human voices. Just have the music calming. I like to leave the music on almost all of the time at first.

7. Try using Feliway plug in diffusers. The phermones are calming to cats. You also can try Composure calming treats or Composure liquid max. Both are nonsedating calming supplements that help a cat to feel more calm. The liquid is easy to mix into wet food.

8. When you are ready to start petting your cat, try making a petting wand. I like to use an old sturdy wand toy (a dowel rod will work too). I take off the toy at the end or just cover it with an old sock. I wrap it around a few times and secure with duct tape. I then cover the sock with a piece of soft flannel. I can use this to entice the cat with a bit of play and then gently start to touch the cat with the end. I often find it's easier to use when the cats back is to me as they don't see it coming at them. Many cats like to have their rear ends rubbed to it's a good place to start. It often takes a few days and many attempts for the cat to learn to be ok with the wand. Sometimes you will find that it is too soon and you will need to try again in a week or two. After the cat has adjusted to being touched with the petting wand and seems to really enjoy it, you can start to replace your hand with the wand. I like to start with the petting wand and gradually pull it towards my body while my hand is moving to replace it. Start slowly. You can always move back to the wand if it's too soon.

9. I found a lot of good tips in the video called “Tough Love”. It's a 3 part video series on the rescue and socialization of feral kittens. http://www.urbancatleague.org/TamingVideo
Here is a link to a great article

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/handling-feral-cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shewolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Ginny, I already plugged in Feliway,  it only hissed at me once and that the day I captured it and it was in the cage and her fur was slightly coming through and I touched her/he and all she did was hiss but didn't motion towards me.  Unfortunately we didn't prepare the room like it was explained.  I did clear some things out of the room and got a litter box, food and water bowls and some toys.  The room is extremely small only 8 ft by maybe 10 with one closet that has no door and there is no window in the room. It hides in the closet and sometimes it climbs up to the shelf where I have seen it.  I put food and fresh water every time I go in the room and sit for 10 - 15 minutes talking softly to it but it still won't come near me.  We made eye contact and it didn't hiss or act nervous, but I didn't want to push it.  It does come out to eat and goes in the litter box but I worry cause there is no window in the room so I leave the light on when I go to work which is about 4:30 am and turn it off about 6:30 pm cause I have to go to bed. I get up at 3:00 am to be at work by 5 sometimes by 4 am, it's just not fair to the cat not to have some kind of daylight and more time for me to spend with it.  My other babies (2 dogs and 1 big cat) do take up a bit of my time.  It really is a pretty cat and is there some kind of cat sanctuary that can take it and work with it?  If I wasn't working I would spend more time with it like  I did with another feral cat that I almost had tamed but I think the animal control captured it cause I never saw it again after April of 2015.  I was really upset and vowed not to have anything happen to this one but I do need someone that can take her/he and save it.  Please any ideas?  It's safe with me but I would like to move her to a room with windows which right now I don't have.

Thanks, my heart really goes out to this beautiful cat.  I will post some pictures of it once I download them on to my computer.....

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear from you again!  I will have to post more tomorrow as I'm late for bed! Can't wait to see pics.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shewolf, check with your local humane societies and other shelters if you must rehome her. Our Animal Control does not euthanize anybody, and all of our shelters are no-kill. The shelters will give her to a foster parent to socialize her further. I'm hoping you won't have to do this and can tame and keep her.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Shewolf, check with your local humane societies and other shelters if you must rehome her. Our Animal Control does not euthanize anybody, and all of our shelters are no-kill. The shelters will give her to a foster parent to socialize her further. I'm hoping you won't have to do this and can tame and keep her.
Our shelter is a kill-facility.  The scary thing is there was a rumor started by several people who misunderstood the difference (in our county at least) between the shelter (or the pound) and the Humane Society.  Anyway, two people told me our shelter did not kill.  That was so not true!  I had to find out by calling the shelter and asking them point-blank.  They were embarrassed to say that yes they are a kill facility.  

I think it's wonderful that a no-kill shelter exists!  In my city, Animal Control means death for feral cats.  And they are NOT interested in TNR.  I've called them and asked.  But it's not that way everywhere so before giving her up to a shelter, PLEASE find out first if they euthanize.  You have to track them down and ask bluntly.  It took me a day and a half just to get them to return my call.  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Ondine  and @ShadowsRescue  gave excellent instructions to follow.  I would add just to watch your eye contact.  A brief glance and then away is good.  Feral cats will stare you down but don't stare back.  This tells them you aren't aggressive and you likely aren't a threat.  Like they said, patience and consistency will help the kitty begin to trust you but it may take a long time.  I had many months to socialize mine while they were still outside (before the neighbors called AC), and it really does take a while but don't give up!  Cat's don't trust just anybody, you've got to earn that trust.

I'd just reinforce what I already said above.  Call your shelter and ask them if they euthanize.  Don't trust what anyone else tells you.  Get the shelter to tell you personally if they do or they don't euthanize.  And if your shelter is like @DreamerRose  's shelter, there's your answer.  But if they do kill, surely there will be another option we can figure out.  Or.....maybe you've met your next pet!  I brought my ferals indoors and they are my pets now.  

Good luck and keep us updated!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know for sure our Animal Control doesn't kill, but I don't consider them a shelter. I took in a stray a year ago, and reported her as "Found" on their website. AC called the next day and said I could bring her in if I wanted to. I said no, I didn't want her PTS. AC they didn't do that anymore. They were able to put me in the people who lost her (she had jumped out of a second story window), and I sadly had to give her back to her owners.

shewolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Ginny, it's been a while since I've bee on here.  I want to update you and hopefully everyone the somewhat progress with the feral cat. It's been a  couple months or so since I've captured the cat, and it doesn't hiss at me or try to scratch me, it just stares at me and I talk to it softly feed it and try not to make eye contact with it.  I go in at least 3 times a day to feed it and change it's litter and give it fresh water every day.  The problem is that there is no windows in  that room and it's hiding up on a shelf in a closet that has no door.  I want to get it to a vet but have no clue how to get it down.  I called the SPCA and they said they will come and get it but I am afraid they will kill it and I've grown rather attached to it.  I think it may be a female so I named her Mimi. I don't know if I can keep her cause my other animals especially my cat sits by the door growling which I think doesn't help the situation any.  She is such a beautiful cat and I don't want to have her put down.  I'm worried that she isn't getting any exercise and that the lack of natural light might not be good. I want to move her to my craft room where at least she can see me a lot and hear my voice more......any suggestions?   Is there a no kill cat shelter that can maybe take her and I can pay for him or her to be fixed? 

Again I don't get on here much but any ideas can be sent to my email address which I check a couple of times a week because of my Union duties, my email address is: [email protected]   I hope I can at least get her to a vet.

Hopefully the picture went through of Mimi

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again!  Mimi is a very pretty kitty!  It kind of worries me that she has nothing to do though and no access to sunshine and fresh air.  The SPCA should  be a no-kill shelter.  I would check and double check to make sure.  Call them and ask someone point blank.  (In my city there was a rumor that our pound was no-kill.  That was absolutely a lie! I called them myself and waited until I spoke to an actual person and asked "do you euthanize?"  She hesitatingly said yes.  Funny how they are not so proud of it, isn't it?  So always find out for yourself and don't take the word of others.  People don't know.  Sometimes they'll say anything.  The confusion in my city was that the Human Society and the Pound now share a building.  But only our Humane Society is a no-kill facility.) 

I really think if you can't keep the kitty, then giving her to a no-kill facility might be a better option.  Staying in a room with no windows and no sunshine isn't good for her mental or physical well-being for the long term.  Perhaps there is a cat rescue group that might take her on since she's feral.  That might be better.  I don't know if the SPCA would take the time to domesticate her.

@catwoman707, @sarthur2, @Red Top Rescue  and all other advisors, what do you suggest here? 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Moving her to your craft room is a good solution if there is nothing she can hide under (where you can't get to her) and there's nothing she can get into (ribbons, etc).  It will allow her access to sunlight and will also give you many opportunities for interaction.

But first, get her to the vet.  You can borrow a trap and feed her only in the trap.  If you tie it open, she will get used to going into it and when you make your vet appointment, you can set it to spring.  A little traumatizing but necessary.

She looks a little frazzled, as if she hasn't been grooming.  That's a sign of illness or depression, so a vet visit will likely help.  That and some sunlight will work wonders, I think.

As mentioned above, finding a no-kill shelter or sanctuary will help you find her a home.  There are places that match cats up with farmers as barn cats - a city in California matches them with police stations.  (They keep the mice away who were destroying paper records).  Maybe there's a place like that near you who can take her.

Thank you so much for rescuing her.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can see this cat wasn't dumped, it's feral.

Depending on what you want to do, whether work with it or rehome to an outdoor place as a mouser, etc is really the question.

Obviously staying hidden in a room is not a good life long term.

You will be extremely lucky if you can get the cat to go back in to a trap, they won't. It was just a couple months ago that it (I hate saying it so will say her for now) was trapped before, and is not going to go in it again, so vetting should have been done prior to releasing the first time, but what's done is done but now you will need to use something different.

Find a place that will do low cost feral fixing with no appt needed. SPCA's often will.

You will need one of the following, either a drop trap, a large carrier or a cage, you will leave the door open always and feed only at the back of the cage or carrier if that is what you use.

She will only go in to eat when you are not around, but that's fine, she will get used to eating in it and think it's safe.

When you see the food eaten regularly, then it's time to set up to trap her.

You will be attaching a strong string, to the top of the open door, run it through the cage or carrier to the back and out, then out the door of the room.

You need to test this so you figure out the best spot to attach the string, so that when the cat gets in to eat and head is down, you can pull the string hard and hold it tightly until you can get in and latch the door fast. She might be pushing to try to get out the door so it's critical for you to keep a tight hold so that door can't be pushed open by her.

If you can locate a rescue to help you this is best, because I can do this fine, but with no experience it's risky since you only get one chance, if the door doesn't close fast enough, or she escapes, good luck ever getting her in again, it won't happen.

A rescue will have a drop trap too which is alot easier.

Once trapped, kitty must be fixed, that's first thing.

Then you decide if you want to keep and work with, and have a resident feral friend.

It takes time and patience, but eventually there will be trust, but it can take a long time.

shewolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is a very late reply but seems like the older I get the less time I have to do things.  Well I still have Mimi and am still working on getting her friendly.  I have an appointment with the Vet June 20, I have her sleeping inside a carrier which makes it easier and the Vet will probably sedate her and examine her thoroughly. I moved her from a room upstairs that she was in with no windows to the front porch in a giant dog cage with plenty of windows where she can see the outside.  The cage is very big and the carrier is inside along with the food and water and litter box but she chooses to stay inside the carrier.  I even put some toys to see if she would play but she won't play.  I feed her twice a day in the wee hours of the morning like 4 am since I have to be at work by 5 am, then I come home from work by about 2 pm and after letting my dogs out and feed my other cat, then  I go in to see Mimi and feed her again and clean the litter box and the floor of the cage.  She doesn't try to bite me when I am cleaning the cage but I use a swifter wand and she just looks at it while I am cleaning. If I try to touch her she will hiss at me so I back off.  I know she did bite my boyfriend cause he was the one who had to grab her to put her in the front porch....I hope I am doing everything right.  She really is a beautiful cat.  below is a picture of her in the front porch under a stand that we had put in there first, now she is in a carrier.....any ideas?

Thanks so much ----- Jenny

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you found an excellent solution.  Are you still interested in keeping her as an inside cat?  Perhaps there is a chance she can live in the kennel?  I know several people who protect their feral cats with enclosures that keep them safe but allow them access to the outside.

She sounds like she's adjusting - just being calm while you clean is actually a big step.  One thing you want to do is keep her routine the same - for obvious reasons, feral cats need routine. Otherwise they wouldn't survive no knowing where the dangers were.

It is also a good sign, at least for purposes of getting her to the vet, that she's favoring the carrier.  It has become her safe space.

Good luck with the vet.  Warn him/her ahead of time that she had feral beginnings.  She may or may not react but they need to know.

In my experience, many feral cats just hunker down at the vets and hopefully she will, too.  The vet can sedate her for the exam, if needed, too.

shewolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I still have Mimi and will not give her up until I am 100% sure that she will not be euthanized.  I have an appointment with the vet who is willing to look at her even though she is feral and give a full examination and shots and get it fixed then I will bring her back home.  I want everyone to know that she is now in the front porch with windows and it is climate control but I notice she likes it warmer so I cut back the AC in that room a little so it's not too cold.  She still won't come to me or eat in front of me and she hides in her carrier.  I do have her in a giant dog cage until I get her to the vet, then I will let her loose in the front porch so she can get some kind of exercise.  I am looking to build her a tower so she can climb and get some exercise.....I still would like to find a good home for her. I've had her since early February 2016.  I still worry about her..

shewolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was hoping to find her a good home but she is such a beautiful kitty that I may keep her.  I have her in the front porch in a big dog cage, she has an appointment on the 30th of June and after that I will see about letting her just roam around the front porch so she can climb up and look out the window.  I want to see about making her a multi-station so she can climb and sit and watch the birds and squirrels.  I have heat and AC but notice that she likes it warmer......I have a lot of work to do and trying to keep a schedule is hard but I try to keep as close to the schedule as I can.  I go in early like 4 am and clean her cage and give her fresh water and food then when I come home from work after taking my dogs out and feeding my other cat I go in and do the same again clean out her cage, give her fresh water and more food and sit with her a while.  I just wish she would come out of the carrier so I can see her better. 

I will post a picture of her in the cage....

shewolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I forgot, I want to keep her as an inside cat or Porch cat, last year I tried to save a male cat and found out much later that he was killed by foxes in the neighborhood, and he was coming up to me about 3 feet, he was adorable too but you can tell he was much older.  Anyway here is a picture of Mimi in her new surroundings until I can set her free from the cage,  I'll probably still leave the cage there since she feels safe.  As you can see, that is where she stays all the time unless she wants to eat or go to the bathroom.  I went in one time and she was in the little box and was too afraid to move, I talked to her and didn't approach her, I left the room so she can finish and an hour later came back and she was back in the carrier.  I just want to hold her and pet her but she or he is just not ready.  She is extremely skiddish and very afraid, even when she was outside.  I would feed her and I would call her and she waited till I went in the house at least 30 minutes before she would come to eat and every time a car drove by she would run into the woods then came back to finish.  I wondered if she was mistreated a lot.........she is safe now.