Need help with non recognition aggression

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am new to this group and I apologize if this is already discussed. I have two cats Simon (9) and Alvin (8). I had to take Alvin to emergency vet Saturday, June 24th. He stayed overnight and I brought him home on the 25th. I was definitely unaware of non recognition aggression but I brought Alvin home (he’s completely fine now!!) and just let him out the carrier until I was met with complete horror. Simon hissed and growled. So I did eventually separate them for a few days and fed them on different sides of a bedroom door. I was also scent swapping for a few days. I then let them see each other threw a screen gate. There was generally no hissing so in decided to let them co exist while I was supervising and put some vanilla extract on each of them to help with the introduction. Everything is all fine until the vanilla extract wears off a day or two later then Simon will be laser focuses on Alvin again and walk up and swat at him but not attack. Alvin is very timid and this scares him so he runs and hides. It breaks my heart. My question is how long can I use vanilla extract? It’s been almost 10 days now and I thought Simon would recognize his brother by now. I am so heartbroken over all of this. Any advice on this is appreciated.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I've had a few similar situations, but, have never used vanilla extract. Does Alvin have a place he can hide safely away from Simon? (Cute names, by the way!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I've had a few similar situations, but, have never used vanilla extract. Does Alvin have a place he can hide safely away from Simon? (Cute names, by the way!)
Thank you! And well he will run to the basement or under the bed. Simon generally doesn’t engage in a chase now. I thought we were all good but then today I noticed Alvin acting nervous around Simon and then I saw Simon kind of run up and swat him. I did the math and i haven’t put vanilla on since Sunday evening. I mean I am fine with doing it for now but don’t want to do that their entire life!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! And well he will run to the basement or under the bed. Simon generally doesn’t engage in a chase now. I thought we were all good but then today I noticed Alvin acting nervous around Simon and then I saw Simon kind of run up and swat him. I did the math and i haven’t put vanilla on since Sunday evening. I mean I am fine with doing it for now but don’t want to do that their entire life!
I don't think it will be forever. Some cats take awhile to re-adjust, and as long as Alvin has a safe spot to go to all should be well. :)
Remember, they are little emotional sponges. Are you nervous when they are together?

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think it will be forever. Some cats take awhile to re-adjust, and as long as Alvin has a safe spot to go to all should be well. :)
Remember, they are little emotional sponges. Are you nervous when they are together?
I am a nervous wreck. I live alone and I also have severe anxiety so I’m sure they can sense my nervousness when they are together even when supervised.

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a nervous wreck. I live alone and I also have severe anxiety so I’m sure they can sense my nervousness when they are together even when supervised.
Also any cat behaviorist now if this vanilla scent will become Alvin’s new scent they Simon will get used to or will Simon eventually realize this is his brother he’s known and loved for 8 years

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They’re going to be okay. I’ve dealt with this many times, most recently almost the whole month of May. I documented most of it in the thread called Non Recognition Support Group, as have several other people. I don’t know how to link it for you but I’m sure you can find it. There is lots of good advice in that thread, as well as understanding how stressful this can be.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had this happen in the past and with my past cats who had this problem a trip together to the vet always fixed it. (a car ride alone will probably do it.) put them both in carriers where they can see each other and go to the vet for a toe nail trim or something. usually the scare of the ride and I think the scare hormones mingling in close proximity make them friends again. I figured it out after doing it for various reasons over the years. it was always like huh? best friends again. one of our past vets offered a service where they said we could just bring them in any time for free where a tech would take them out of their carrier and give them a treat so they'd learn it's not always bad to go to the vet. maybe your vet would do something like that. I personally would never do the vanilla extract trick because extracts are poison for kittehs and oils travel. vet clinics do use a strong smelling wipe for cleaning up pets. I'd feel more at home using this because I'd expect fragrance on a vet clinic thingy would be formulated to not be toxic to cats. so maybe you could get the vet clinic to wipe both of them down too. although we never did that. we jsut took them in for nail trims because those particular cats wouldn't let us do it. lol

Jstnh2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They’re going to be okay. I’ve dealt with this many times, most recently almost the whole month of May. I documented most of it in the thread called Non Recognition Support Group, as have several other people. I don’t know how to link it for you but I’m sure you can find it. There is lots of good advice in that thread, as well as understanding how stressful this can be.
I did find this last night and it really helped. I am going to check out your story too! I really am stressed about this and don’t know how much more I can take :sniffle: