Need help with newly adopted adult cat

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted Margo just over two weeks ago. She's 2.5 years old. The first week she was a dream. Openly curious (I didn't wean her into my space, which is on me), played from day 1, meowed, purred, rubbed up against me, let me pet her, doesn't hide, litter habits are spot on. She doesn't get in my lap but I know that can take time. She did get in my bed at night a few times. She'd been a dream. Didn't even flinch at the vacuum. The only destructive behavior is she scratches my apartment's carpet and sometimes my sofa despite having many different scratch things (I literally have a sisal post, cat tree, cardboard scratchers, and a sisal mat). A week ago I noticed tapeworms so I took her to the vet (took her there the previous week for a wellness check and all was good). They took her in the back to give an injection and apply Advantage and I heard screaming and hissing. When I asked what happened, because I hadn't experienced that side of her, they said she didn't like being restrained hard. I got a bad feeling from them. Anyway, she was pretty mad the rest of the day but seemed to warm up eventually. Three days ago something spooked her pretty bad. I heard a 'thud' but couldn't tell what it was from the other room. She was staring out my window (I'm on the 3rd floor) acting strange. She has gotten 'jumpy' since. The vacuum now freaks her out and she hisses. She won't let me pet her (she'll bite - not hard). I thought we were making progress. And now I'm in a dilemma where I'm not sure what to do about the carpet scratching without further wrecking any bond we have left, since my impulse has been to yell. I'm getting a carpet-only scratching post and some Feliway spray. I'm also getting more cardboard scratchers since she does seem to like that type of material. I've also watched videos on positive reinforcement but not sure how to do that with a cat who isn't into being pet or treats (I've bought sooooooo many kinds of treats).

TL : DR:
-new adult cat is scratching various spots on carpet despite plenty of scratch options + doesn't care about being pet or treats, what can I do?
-how do I reestablish her trust?

Attachments

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the trust will just take some time. You could try some calming aids if you think she's just on edge. Everything is still pretty new to her. Sights, sounds, daily rhythm... She also might not ever return entirely to the cat when you first got her. When cats get comfortable, sometimes their true personality emerges more - even if it is a bit more mischievous. With the scratching, the best thing is to work on trimming her nails. Keeping the nails short means she can't hook them into things as easy. Less destruction that way.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat, Margo, got spooked or upset when she went to the vet. Have you ever used this vet before for any other animals? If so, what was your previous experience(s)? I thought this TCS Article about getting a cat to like you might have some helpful information and advice: 14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me - TheCatSite

Obviously she has only been in your home for two weeks and although up to now was doing well it might take some time and patience on your part for her to get readjusted. I'm guessing you don't know anything about her previous home since you adopted her so that can make her background a little more difficult. However, the fact that she was affectionate when you first brought her home is a good sign. We've adopted all but one cat so I like to say they don't come with a resume.:wink: Since Margo has found her forever home with you I'm sure she will regain her trust in time. Just be patient and watch her cues.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she always seem to scratch in the same spot? If so get some plastic carpet protector with those little nubs on the back and put it nub side up where you don't want her to go. It really works. It is easily moved and can be picked up quickly if company comes. I saw rolls of it at Ace hardware. Something scared her badly when that thump was heard. She is having redirected aggression, meaning she attacks anything that scares her now. She is scared and that vet visit didn't help either. But it had to be done. She may have been still upset from that and overeacted on the new 'threat'. Walmart has cheap corrugated scratchers. She is just plain scared. She will be her old self in time, don't give up. She has had a lot happening lately. You were coming a long way before this, it WILL happen again. Get Bayer Tapeworm medicine online the next time so she doesn't have to go to the vet. Amazon has it. Hide it in something yummy, like a tiny piece of hot dog, or hide pieces in a small amount of tuna. You can cut it up. I wouldn't crush it though unless you ask a vet. Just be calm and don't force her to do anything just now, let her come to you. All the luck! PS humans don't get tapeworm from cats, they come from ingesting fleas on rodents. I agree with the above too, it wouldn't hurt to get her some calming meds. Maybe liquid you could put in a lickable treat.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, I'm far from the most knowledgeable person on this forum, but here are my thoughts for what they're worth.

The first thing to keep in mind is that two weeks is still very early days for a rehomed adult cat. She'll still be getting used to this strange new environment she's found herself in and getting comfortable with it, and there'll inevitably be things she encounters that she isn't used to. If you take one thing away from this comment, it's that I'd highly recommend getting a plug-in pheromone diffuser like Feliway. They're expensive, but they can really help calm cats down and are handy in situations like settling a cat into a new home.

Re/the acting jumpy, the bottom line is that we're dealing with something stressing an animal. The first step is to identify the source of stress if possible. In an ideal world, we'd then remove that source of stress, but this isn't always realistically possible, so we have to come to a compromise. For example, Margo is afraid of the vacuum cleaner, but you still need to clean. Is your vacuum cleaner loud? If so, and if you're able and willing to spend the money, it might be worth getting a quieter vacuum cleaner. Either way, keep vacuuming the room as you normally would, because while you may feel bad about scaring her, she has to learn that this is a normal part of life in her new home and that it isn't a threat to her. Are you in a studio apartment, or one with more than one room? How many rooms is Margo allowed in? If she has at least two rooms available to her, you could shut her in one when you're hoovering the other. It might be a good idea to have one person playing with the cat in one room while another person hoovers the other one, but of course that's assuming you have someone else who can help you.

At the same time, you need to give Margo space to learn to trust you. Let her be the one who makes the moves. Spend some time sitting on the floor quietly doing something like reading a book or looking at your phone, so that your attention isn't on her, and let her come to you. Reward her with a treat when she approaches and when she touches you, so she'll start associating with you with something positive and realise you aren't a bad thing. When you feel she's ready, you can try gently touching her, but stop if she doesn't like it. Also, the biting could actually be a form of play rather than an "I don't want to be pet." Both my cats sometimes act like they want to be petted, and then play-attack my hand if I 'fall for it'! My seven-year-old male Ozzie tends to just grab my hand with front paws but keep his claws in, but my two-year-old female Cleo uses her claws and teeth, although it's still clearly playful and not defensive.

The standard thing I've heard to get a cat to stop scratching your carpets and furniture is to give them a quick spray with a water pistol. This isn't painful and doesn't harm them, just gives them a bit of a shock because they're suddenly wet, and the theory is that they won't associate it with you because you're shooting from a distance. However, because Margo seems to be a nervy, stressed cat, it's probably best not to risk that. Instead, you could try getting a catnip spray (look for it online) and spraying the cat furniture you're trying to encourage her to use.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also seconding to NEVER spray your cat with water. My mum did that the first few months I had Nobel and still lived with her. (For the record I was 16 so still a minor and couldn't stop her.)

1- It made him hell to bathe as water was seen as a punishment. Despite it only being a few months he NEVER forgot.
2- It 100% contributed to his anxiety and being an anxious cat.

It will just take time. Try talking softly and letting her know it's okay when she gets scared. Even giving a gentle pat or scritch if she allows it. I use my higher pitch "good boy" voice to do this. Over time it works well.

Ghost is afraid of 'big vacuum' and we are using this method with him. Now he's only hiding behind the couch and not under it and occasionally creeping to the side to watch. It helps having two other cats who we have desensitized to the vacuum. (With treats and leaving it out/off). We also warn about loud sounds when possible. We say, "loud sound, vacuum." Or "loud sound." They learn to associate the word with something loud happening and then can decide to calmly leave before if they want or at least prepare themselves.

Cat calming music (any streaming service, choose ones without a lot of high tones), can help but even leaving any type of music on can help as each individual sound then feels less abrupt and harsh.

Play can be a good reward if she likes that. Or catnip. You could try tube treats like Churu or Catit. Pair whatever you find with a, "Good girl" or "Good cat." So she learns those words and then you'll be able to positively reinforce verbally.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel really guilty for having brought this up. I nearly didn't put this in, and even what I said was just mentioning it in passing rather than suggesting that it should be done. I feel my post is going to be really easy to misread as an endorsement, when that wasn't the case. I'd be really grateful if someone could edit, or if necessary remove my post, as I think it's also derailed the topic here.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat calming music (any streaming service, choose ones without a lot of high tones), can help but even leaving any type of music on can help as each individual sound then feels less abrupt and harsh.

Play can be a good reward if she likes that. Or catnip. You could try tube treats like Churu or Catit. Pair whatever you find with a, "Good girl" or "Good cat." So she learns those words and then you'll be able to positively reinforce verbally.
Seconding the music suggestion. Also cat TV, like videos of birds visiting a feeder, might be a good idea for occupying her and helping her think about something else other than what's worrying her.

Catnip is also a great idea. As I said (and I think was maybe misinterpreted as it came right after my poorly worded discussion of water pistols) you can get catnip sprays that you can spray onto scratching posts and boards to make them smell of catnip and encourage a cat to use them rather than damaging the furniture.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I feel really guilty for having brought this up. I nearly didn't put this in, and even what I said was just mentioning it in passing rather than suggesting that it should be done. I feel my post is going to be really easy to misread as an endorsement, when that wasn't the case. I'd be really grateful if someone could edit, or if necessary remove my post, as I think it's also derailed the topic here.
In order to edit a post you have to be a TCS member for 5 days and have at least 20 posts. Then you have up to 120 minutes to edit your post. But don't worry, we understand what you meant when you explained the situation. I think the reason members mentioned not to spray a cat is because the site does not advocate this approach. It's also meant to deter or discourage anyone else who might be reading this thread.