Need Help With New Cat's Behaviour

avocado2988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I've recently adopted a 3 month old ragdoll-mainecoon mixed kitten from my Aunt‘s cat‘s litter. Okay, I'm no expert in cat behaviour that's why I'm asking.

When i introduced it to its three-story cage, it likes to climb alot and rather active. Furthermore, it tends to stick its paws out and does this kneading motion everywhere in its cage and even on me. And it even allows me to touch and play with its paws. Does this mean that she's comfortable and happy to her new surroundings?

I mean like I expected her to be frightened by the new people she met but she seems friendly. Also, what should i do to prevent scaring her? Because i don't wanna have a bad impression of myself to her. Please help. Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Does this mean that she's comfortable and happy to her new surroundings?
I think yes :thumbsup:
It sounds to me as though she wants to be able to play with and snuggle with you. Have you tried letting her out to see how she acts and behaves?

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

Also, because she is a large breed and they typically reach maturity later, until she is approximately 2 years old you will need to feed her as much as she will eat. 3-4 meals a day and some dry food for overnight until she's about a year old, but even after that you'll want to be sure she gets enough food for all the growth that is occurring, even if she looks like she isn't getting any larger in actual size there's a lot of growth still happening inside :)

And be sure she has plenty of fresh water in a cleaned daily bowl.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It actually sounds like things are going very well. Sometimes, kittens that young are more easily adaptable to their new surroundings than even older kittens or cats. The kneading can be a self-comforting thing, or just an innate behavior in younger kittens that they may or may not grow out of over time. Either way, I don't think it is any kind of cause for alarm.

In addition to the information and article Furballsmom Furballsmom offered, here are a couple of articles that maybe you will find some helpful tips as well. The latter talks about moving a kitten to a new place, but there is information in it that would also apply to your situation.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

When you get a chance, post a picture - and by all means let us know her name!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avocado2988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying to me :yess:.
Well, today is her first day with me and I did let her out but she runs straight under the sofa. So, it made me really confused about her behaviour, prompting me to seek help as a first timer.

And after a few minutes of thoughts, I remembered a tip someone gave me which is to start with a small space like a room for her to familiarise with the environment before going on to the living room. I think i did a mistake because i let her out in the living room on her FIRST DAY here. So should I probably let her stay in the cage for a few days and then go on with the tip i received?? But she's really friendly right now and doesn't show any signs of being frightened. So I'm really not sure of what i should do now because I'm really afraid i'd scare her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A smaller confined area to start with would be the best approach. As time passes, you can introduce her to other areas of your home slowly. Running under the sofa tells me that such a big space is a bit overwhelming right now for her. Perhaps move the cage to a smaller room and work from there?

avocado2988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okie thank you for your kind feedbacks. I really do appreciate it. Will update any of her behaviours I find worrisome in the future.:D

avocado2988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, all is well in the household. However, is it normal for a 4 month (now) to be too overly active haha. Its been running around and breaking stuff already but it shows no sign of fear with humans yet is friendly and socializes normally with all the other family members. But can you all help me identify the breed of my kitten? Im starting to have doubts that it is not a mainecoon-ragdoll mix that I've been told by my aunt. But i know that there is legitimately a Mainecoon at my Aunt's house. Also, here's the picture of Apple

I can't seem to find a picture showing its tail right now because im away from home. It's tail is the bushy type?? Like its furry and the furs stick out. Please help me clarify. Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regardless of anything, if there are no papers she is a Domestic Longhair. She is absolutely gorgeous. If your aunt has a papered Maine Coon cat at home who is a parent she would indeed be a Maine Coon mix. But if your aunt is just assuming her long haired tabby is a Maine Coon just based on her looks I would take that with a grain of salt. Majority of cats in the world are of no purebred ancestry they are just mixes and TBH that is what she is also.

Also is it a male or female? You keep saying "it"?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is cute as can be!

My question is why the cage at all? Your bedroom should be fine as homebase, I think. Are other cats involved?

I fostered/adopted some ragamuffin mix type kittens. The one that looks like a ragdoll lets us over hold her and the kids love it. The other two kittens are amazing in that they both let us carry them belly up for extended periods (and they are calm while being held.)

Does your kitten act like a rag doll or a Maine coon? I am curious what breed she is. You will know for show what her mama is if your aunt owns her mama?

Lastly 'my' 5 month old kittens love to knead on blankets (many cats do) 2 of them nurse on blankets. Does your kitten nurse on things? I have had quite a few cats that knead on a favorite blanket or human when they are content.

Can we see more pictures? :happycat: Just because kittens are cute! :catlove: