Need Help With Canned Food

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I have three beautiful rescue babies. My first girl is 5 years old, second is 4 years old, and my newest boy is just 4 months old.

I am not a fan of dry food, my cats are fed only canned wet food. However, my female cats will only eat fancy feast or friskies (I know... not good). My oldest is actually obsessed with dry food. She doesn’t even really like canned food but eventually I got her transitioned over to only canned.

My boy... not picky at all. He will eat whatever. Even tries to steal food off of humans plates, naughty boy.

I am wondering what I can feed all of them. I don’t have an issue with feeding different brands (currently my male is on kitten food anyway). But I want a good quality food for all of them. Obviously the male will need a good quality kitten food.

What do you all recommend? I have tried Wysong and the girls won’t touch it. I’m thinking of feeding that to my boy, is that okay for Kittens?

Cost is a slight factor. I don’t want to be spending $2 on a 3oz can... but I also really want to feed my cats well, so any recommendations even if a bit pricy, I’m here to learn and listen!

Attached a photo of my boy. His siblings were all killed by raccoons. He came to us with a huge bot fly in his neck at 4 weeks old :(

Attachments

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favourite canned food brand is Rawz. It is gum and carrageenan free, no potatoes or peas, and 96% meat. You can get a 5.5oz can that is 200 kcal for just under 2$. It is only sold at independent pet shops, so you would have to call around and see which ones carry it or can order it for you. I think the fact that it is 96% meat makes it appealing. My boy scarfs it down faster than any other wet food I have given him.

Oh and it’s for all life stages so you can feed it to kittens and adults. I am raising my kitten on it.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, the best canned food is whatever they will eat. Believe me, I've got one of the pickiest cats in the world and right now he's on a food strike. He used to be in love with Nutro Natural Choice Chunky Chicken, and now he won't touch it, no matter what toppers I put on it. So today I went into my closet where I have a treasure trove of canned food that has been rejected and is just waiting for me to donate to a rescue, and I pulled out an Iams Perfect Delight that I figured he's reject, and he gobbled it down. I just spent $50 at Chewy buying better foods for him to try, and he ran screaming from the room everytime I served up any of them :lol:. I've tried Rawz, Lotus, Hounds and Gatos, Red Barn, Weruva...I could go on and on. All I'm saying is you've just got to experiment until you find something they like. Every cat is different. My other cat likes pretty much everything, but he's a pudge, so he's on a special diet of mostly raw to try to prevent diabetes.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the best canned food is whatever they will eat. Believe me, I've got one of the pickiest cats in the world and right now he's on a food strike. He used to be in love with Nutro Natural Choice Chunky Chicken, and now he won't touch it, no matter what toppers I put on it. So today I went into my closet where I have a treasure trove of canned food that has been rejected and is just waiting for me to donate to a rescue, and I pulled out an Iams Perfect Delight that I figured he's reject, and he gobbled it down. I just spent $50 at Chewy buying better foods for him to try, and he ran screaming from the room everytime I served up any of them :lol:. I've tried Rawz, Lotus, Hounds and Gatos, Red Barn, Weruva...I could go on and on. All I'm saying is you've just got to experiment until you find something they like. Every cat is different. My other cat likes pretty much everything, but he's a pudge, so he's on a special diet of mostly raw to try to prevent diabetes.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do a rotation of wet food, I like this as a complimentary wet food, to be feed along with completes:
They also have packs in broth and cans, a very nice assortment.
I feed Applaws as one of my cats meals, the others are completes, so he gets enough nutrition.

Your boy is gorgeous!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the best canned food is whatever they will eat.
Ain't it the truth? :lol:

I'm embarrassed to admit how much time I spend researching cat foods, trying to determine which options are as close to 'perfect' for our kitties as possible. Pfft. One of our cats holds out for Fancy Feast Classics, and another one likes foods that contain ingredients I'm not too thrilled about. So much for all of my good intentions. :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ran to a little speciality pet store and bought some food for my kitties after a bit of research and recommendations here.

I got:
Koha Super Premium Cat food
Hound & Gato
Earthborn Holistic
Weruva

Going to slowly try each of them over time in their food and see if they like any of these brands.

Does anyone feed these brands? What do you think? Good? Bad?

Hoping over time this will work, or else I’m stuck with fancy feast haha! Hoping I can at the very least get my kitten into better food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My favourite canned food brand is Rawz. It is gum and carrageenan free, no potatoes or peas, and 96% meat. You can get a 5.5oz can that is 200 kcal for just under 2$. It is only sold at independent pet shops, so you would have to call around and see which ones carry it or can order it for you. I think the fact that it is 96% meat makes it appealing. My boy scarfs it down faster than any other wet food I have given him.

Oh and it’s for all life stages so you can feed it to kittens and adults. I am raising my kitten on it.

Thank you! I’m going to check that out now online!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ran to a little speciality pet store and bought some food for my kitties after a bit of research and recommendations here.

I got:
Hound & Gato
Earthborn Holistic
Weruva

Going to slowly try each of them over time in their food and see if they like any of these brands.

Hoping over time this will work, or else I’m stuck with fancy feast haha! Hoping I can at the very least get my kitten into better food.
Our cats eat Weruva and love it. It's important to note that it is fairly low calorie though, so you have to feed more of it than other brands.

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
Earthborn is really great, and I've heard Weruva is good... especially with kitties that need a lower calorie diet.
Hopefully they like it!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I got:
Hound & Gato
Earthborn Holistic
Weruva

I have had experiences with koha and Weruva. Koha seems like a nice brand and they have great customer service, but their duck stew gave my kitten bad diarrhea unfortunately.

Weruva... I know a lot of people like it but I don’t trust the company. They had a big recall in Australia this year because cats were dying due to missing nutrients in their foods. I am also suspicious that it gave my boy a bacterial infection. Their products are made in Thailand which means they could potentially get away with lower standards at their production facilities.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big pfft to what I'm feeding the girls routinely is that the Nature's Variety Instinct canned foods have peas and carrots in them. I like that the 5.5 oz can is 200 calories, I like their customer service, much of whats in the can is meat, and the girls enjoy it. They started out eating duck and then I moved to chicken because of the budget. Because of the budget is why my boys are not on canned- they would eat me out of house and home - so I make their food. My girls are light eaters, only 20 lbs between the two of them, and their canned and kibble still cost as much as the boys' turkey and rabbit homemade- and those two are 26 lbs of all muscle.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy can only tolerate lower fat canned foods and so far that only consists of Against the Grain and Fussie Cat. But before I figured that out, he had gone through plenty of low carb foods including Weruva Cats in the Kitchen line, Under the Sun, and Nutro.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If cost is a concern, you can go to Petco and buy Soulistic which is made by the same company that makes Weruva. All of the Soulistic varieties are nearly identical to Weruva. They are just named differently. Petco often has big food sales so that is a good time to stock up.

More affordable canned food suggestions:

Healthy but affordable canned food
Affordable canned food?
Cheapest/Most affordable Grain free or healthiest canned food
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/330459/...conomical-way-to-buy-friskies-canned-cat-food
New Affordable PetSmart Brand! =D
4health now has affordable grain-free wet food