Need help with a deaf feral cat

a_fesche_katze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody, I'm here to ask for some advice on a matter I'm not really sure how to act.
To give some context: my family is currently caring for a small cat colony made of a mother cat (let's call her Kimmy) and her 2 adult daughters. We managed to spay all of them, so we don't have problems with kittens anymore. Since there are only these 3 cats, they are pretty much used to us and they stay around our house a lot, so I think they can be considered semi-feral.
About Kimmy: talking with some neighbors, we managed to find out that she was domestic once and later became feral because she was abandoned and didn't have contact with humans anymore.
We are quite worried about Kimmy because we noticed that she lost her hearing (probably because of ear mites) and is super easily scared of everything because of that. She can't even eat peacefully because every time something like the wind or a fly touches her she runs away and apart from that we are worried if she crosses the street. Therefore we were thinking about catching her and keeping her inside the house. She isn't a very active cat since she is just chilling around most of the time and she was probably domestic years ago, so we think that she could get used to an indoor life.
Now I am asking you for an opinion on how to act and if I were to catch her, how should I behave considering the fact that she is deaf and easily scared. I have some experience in socializing kittens but I don't know what to do with a deaf adult cat.
I would be very thankful if someone could help me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know with my deaf cat I had at one time, stomping my foot on the ground before I approached him, helped him to realize I was near. also, when I wanted him to come I flashed the overhead light a few times, he learned quickly. Your sweet little one will not last long as an outside cat, cars and big dogs approaching will not be heard until too late. She would be much safer and happier inside, though it will take her a long while to adjust. But she knows you now and that will help. There are a couple of topical flea medications that take care of ear mites too, you might want to keep them in mind if another cat gets infected. Revolution and Advantage II.

coffee grinder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition to the good advice above, we set up a safe hiding spot for our deaf feral in the corner of her room with the opening facing out so she could see anyone approaching her. We initially used a cat teepee bed but later switched to a large cat carrier with a pillow for bedding. She would lay in there & watch us go about our business. She knew no one could sneak up from behind. Good luck. I'm sure she will feel much safer indoors once she adjusts.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise