Need Help With 2 Things...

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be moving to a small studio apartment and would like some help with 2 things...

Is there any litter that does not track and easy to maintain/clean up and affordable? I'm currently using Precious cat which is great and all BUT its EVERYWHERE in my place. I have a feeling that they're accidently stepping on wet litter and it'll stick to their paws and bring a lot of it with them where ever they go.

Are there any cat/pet friendly covers that I can use to cover up my bed? Trying to prevent accidents from happening on my bed.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as litter that's affordable Tractor Supply sells a 25 lb bag for $5. I think it's called Paws n Claws. I have two cats and one is messy and the other isn't So I'm not sure if the litter is messy, it may just be the cat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For the bed, any sort of bed wetting liner would work. If you want something between your mattress and the sheets then a mattress liner that is water proof. If something over the bed an absorbent pad like a puppy pad would work (but it isn't pretty).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you keep clumping litter deep enough, at least 3 inches, then it shouldn't stick to their paws. Add more litter to replace what you scoop out. Yes, Tractor Supply Paws & Claws brand is good, the Dual Odor Control 40 Pound box is scented, the Multi Cat 40 pound box and the purple Scoopable 25 pound bag are unscented. Also Berkley & Jensen (yellow 40 Pound box) if you have a BJ's Warehouse store. Walmart also has one called Special Kitty, I buy the green 40 pound box. Those last two I mentioned are scented, but not too bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As far as litter that's affordable Tractor Supply sells a 25 lb bag for $5. I think it's called Paws n Claws. I have two cats and one is messy and the other isn't So I'm not sure if the litter is messy, it may just be the cat.
Yes, 1 of them is the messy one. I actually took him to the vet to rule out any health issues but he is fine.

For the bed, any sort of bed wetting liner would work. If you want something between your mattress and the sheets then a mattress liner that is water proof. If something over the bed an absorbent pad like a puppy pad would work (but it isn't pretty).
I already have a mattress pad and a dust mite/bed bug cover on my bed. I'm talking about a cover that covers the entire bed more like a tarp but was hoping some of you would know something more kitty friendly.

If you keep clumping litter deep enough, at least 3 inches, then it shouldn't stick to their paws. Add more litter to replace what you scoop out. Yes, Tractor Supply Paws & Claws brand is good, the Dual Odor Control 40 Pound box is scented, the Multi Cat 40 pound box and the purple Scoopable 25 pound bag are unscented. Also Berkley & Jensen (yellow 40 Pound box) if you have a BJ's Warehouse store. Walmart also has one called Special Kitty, I buy the green 40 pound box. Those last two I mentioned are scented, but not too bad.
I've actually done that but perhaps I should put more in later tonight when I get home to see if he doesn't track. I'll try the Tractor Supply Paws & Claws brand. Hope it works!

I'll take a picture of the tracking when I get home. Its absolutely silly how much he tracks! Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :)

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is the dust with the Paws and Claws litter? We do a lot of shopping at Tractor Supply since we feed the 4health food and I've been eyeing the litter for that cheap price! I've spent a LONG time trying to find a low dust litter and half the time ones that say they are...aren't! We are using Precious Cat right now and it is the closest thing to dust free I have ever used! I would love something a little cheaper but don't want to go back to the dust clouds! :headshake:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say they are dust free. But they aren't too bad in my opinion. You could always just try one box and see. :)

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the dust with the Paws and Claws litter? We do a lot of shopping at Tractor Supply since we feed the 4health food and I've been eyeing the litter for that cheap price! I've spent a LONG time trying to find a low dust litter and half the time ones that say they are...aren't! We are using Precious Cat right now and it is the closest thing to dust free I have ever used! I would love something a little cheaper but don't want to go back to the dust clouds! :headshake:
Yes I always buy that litter. The only time there is ever any dust is if you pour it out of the bag super fast, but I don't think its A lot of dust. Its not like huge mushroom clouds in the air or something. If your just scooping it there isnt any dust. I think it works great. Especially for $5.

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat clumping litter; it's about the same texture as Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat but cheaper, and is more lightly scented than many other litters. I now have a big boy who I swear pees more than my other two cats combined! At least he pees in the center of the box instead of down the wall of the box :^)

Be sure you scoop daily or twice a day to avoid wet kitty feet; replace the litter you've scooped with fresh; be sure to keep depth 3" or over.

As for the bed-wetting issue it sounds like you've found your match!

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Toby to the vet today. He has 4 stones in his bladder. Its not the litter that's the problem.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did they do for the stones, a special food? I'm glad you found out what the problem was.

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What did they do for the stones, a special food? I'm glad you found out what the problem was.
They offered me a special prescription diet that is supposed to de solve the stones. Surgery will cost 2500 which I don't have unfortunately. I told them let's try to the special food for a month and when I bring him back, we'll see if the stones have reduced in size. I just don't want him to be in pain because he meows so much, it kills me to know that he's in pain. They gave him a shot for the pain and phenoxybenzamine and clavamox pills that I have to give him twice a day. I'm just hoping at this point that I can help him however I can!

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An update....

I had to take Toby to the vet yesterday in the morning. He had thrown up his medicine around 5 to 10 minutes after giving it to him since Saturday. I called the vet yesterday and told them what was happening and they told me that his kidneys might be failing as a result of the blocking. Vomiting is a result of that. I started to get upset because when I went on Friday, they didn't help me the way they should of. I became an emotional mess! So I rushed him to the vet and they kept him over night with IV fluids and this morning they will be performing the surgery to remove his stones and flush out whatever crystals he might have in his urethra. They told me its a possibility that he may need a PU surgery and they will call me during surgery to ask me if I give them they ok and pay for the procedure. I would like to ask all of you for any help or advice in this matter. Should I put him through this PU surgery or not?

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope your kitty's surgery went well. Here are a lot of discussions about PU surgery.

Search Results for Query: PU surgery | The Cat Site
Thank you so much for your well wishes!

Surgery went well! :) Toby is NOT meowing incessantly like he had been and looks more calm and relaxed. Thank God!! Now I need to find out if his stones are of the dissolvable kind or not. According the the vet, this will depend whether I can alternate between giving him the prescript food and regular food or just prescript which can be costly. I know I'm on the best website for info on this! :)

20170808_230947.jpg

20170809_074441.jpg

20170809_085853.jpg

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And no, the vet didn't do the PU surgery. Toby was partially blocked and DID NOT suffer any kidney damage thankfully as a result. That was my biggest worry and concern! It was devastating me knowing I may of waited to long to get him the help he needed... :(

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope all is well. That is a great cone of shame looks he's giving you.