Need Help Urgently About Marbocyl Dosage

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet prescribed this antibiotic for my cat with liver issues but it seems the dosage and duration is double! Is this normal?

Brand: Vétoquinol
Tablet: Marbocyl p 5 mg for cats
Dosage: 6 tablets a day for 10 days
My cat weight: 8.5kg

From my research on the websites, the recommended dosage is 2mg/kg/day and for 5 days.
Is the prescription safe? I posted this while I am waiting for the vet to reply.

VÉTOQUINOL MARBOCYL P 5 MG FOR CATS AND DOGS 1 TABLET - DietVet
Dosage and administration

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet replied and said that giving up to max 5 mg/kg/day is acceptable treatment but if i am concerned about the overdose effect, we can reduce to 4 tablets a day instead.

I think i am skeptical, phobia on any adverse effect and worried sick about the original prescription.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think it's available here in the U.S. I could be wrong, but every search I did on it brought up a European website. So...I can't be of any help. But my main question to you is, do you trust your Vet? If so, then since you have questioned them about it and they have replied, so you know it was not done in error, IF you trust them, then I would probably go with it. If this is not your regular Vet, or you do not trust them explicitly, then I would go with my gut.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi.
Sorry that I don't have enough time for more detailed reply - here are the basics:
You can calculate/evaluate the dosage from there.

Hope that helps.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
Sorry that I don't have enough time for more detailed reply - here are the basics:
You can calculate/evaluate the dosage from there.

Hope that helps.
hi white shadow white shadow , thanks for the resources!
I compared this from Zoetis to Vetoquinol (which is the brand the vet prescribed), while the Zoetis did mention abt the max 5.5mg/kg/day dosage, the other did not, it just state a recommended dose which 2mg/kg/day.

For the part about "the 5.5mg/kg comes from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook 7th edition 2011" might be the case why the dosage was given so high. I have consulted to vet and she say we can reduce the dosage and monitor first to see if any side effects meanwhile.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's available here in the U.S. I could be wrong, but every search I did on it brought up a European website. So...I can't be of any help. But my main question to you is, do you trust your Vet? If so, then since you have questioned them about it and they have replied, so you know it was not done in error, IF you trust them, then I would probably go with it. If this is not your regular Vet, or you do not trust them explicitly, then I would go with my gut.
Hi mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , i have the same question to myself before i post. My usual vet was not around that day and i have to consult the duty vet. I have one encounter with the duty vet previously that left me in doubt on her prescription and knowledge towards cats. another choice will be calling my usual vet through the clinic's help to confirm the dosage again or go with the reduced dosage.

I start day 1 on the reduced dosage and will monitor in the meanwhile.