Need help! Son has recurrent head lice! arggh!

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband worked in a residential facility for foster kids and dealt with this a lot. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. He did mention that the mayo trick worked for them. I'm sorry you're going through this! We don't have kids, but I remember having lice once or twice as a kid and now that I think back on it I feel sorry for my mom - she must have had the creepy-crawlies the whole time she was treating my brother and I!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take your son to a dermatologist. They will be able to advise you better on this than a pediatrician will.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started to type out a long, detailed post to this yesterday but my computer decided to have 'one of those days' for itself and it was wiped out. Let me try and recap very quickly:

Our daughter, Naomi, had lice in her long, long hair back in Louisianna. We struggled with it all that summer long...trying everything that we were told to. Finally when we were at a local pet food store, we happened to mention our problem to the owner. He gave us some advice that he swore he would deny he told us if anyone ever asked. He told us to try ZODIAC Flea & Tick Shampoo For Dogs & Cats. As crazy as it sounds to y'all...it sounded that way to us. But we were DESPERATE!!! For 3 months we'd struggled with this awful thing! We didn't want to cut Naomi's beautiful hair and I'd spend several hours each day brushing, cleaning and picking out all those awful critters! She was in tears thinking that she might not be able to start school in the fall (she LOVED school!). As I said, we were DESPERATE! So, we bought the stuff, took it home and I washed her hair in the kitchen sink...being very careful not to get any on her face, in her eyes, etc. I noticed when I was rinsing her hair that the lice were just dropping...the mites...they were sooo awful! Welp...it worked! I was sooo amazed and happy! I checked her head the next morning and it was clean! Just to be on the safe-side, I used it on her one more time a few days later. Well I'm happy to report that she was able to start school and was never bothered by them again!

I know it seems a little strange, using a dog/cat shampoo on your child, but if you are as desperate as we were, you'll try it. I don't think that I would put anything on my pet that would be so harmful as to not be able to be used on a person as well.

Good luck with it!
Hilda >^..^<

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
as a teacher in a primary school, i have this to offer... lice prefer clean hair. they do not like hair with product in it - hair spray, mousse, gel, etc. it makes it hard for them to grab hold with their legs. my mother & i have never caught lice from our students - i think in part because we're both big product users. i washed my hair this morning, but it already has quite a bit of mousse & a bunch of hair spray on it.
he probably won't let you use hair spray, but maybe he could have one of those cute, pointy hairstyles that requires gel or mousse? like this one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well i did shave his head last nite short short short. He loves it actually asked me if I could make him bald! lol he said he wanted it to shine! lol

i went thru it this morning with the lice combs and no lice, nits or anything else. Did the same with my daughter. Even had my SIL comb thru their hair so i wasnt missing anything.

I sent a note to school stating that as of 7:45 am my son was lice/nit free and it was verified by two different adults. I also made mention of the cane my SIL would raise should she be called to pick him up for lice again. If it happens again, I am going to demand that all children that he comes in contact with be checked before entering the classroom. I cant help but feel I wont be the only parent complaining.

Thank you all. The coal tar shampoo has helped. If we have another outbreak Ill be re reading this post for help!

Yall are great!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spray both of your childrens heads with hairspray EVERY morning before school.That is what the Health Department tells all of us parents to do.I've done it and it works!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Spray both of your childrens heads with hairspray EVERY morning before school.That is what the Health Department tells all of us parents to do.I've done it and it works!
Yeah, I also heard that them little crawly bugs don't like stuff like that, I just washed my hair, and I am fixin to put some mousse on it.

jennifer1312

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My bf son has gotten it ALOT...their doc said lice hold their breathe under water. I don't know if I believe that but I am sure it's all about the comb through..I think you need to use the little comb twice a day. One tan "nits" on the hair strand will bring it back all over again. Not only is this expensive and embarrassing it's so frustrating!! Best wishes!! 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Jennifer. Welcome to TCS!

I wanted to point out that you're responding to an 8 year old thread.  Doubtful anyone is going to be reading it or responding!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is an old thread, but in case anybody is dealing with head lice on their school-age child, here's a great way to get rid of them without the horrible toxic kits. (You really don't want to put that stuff on your kid's scalp.)

You need Listerine, the original gold kind; a nit comb; shampoo, and plastic wrap. Wash and rinse the hair, rinse again with Listerine. Leave the Listerine on and cover, wait for 30 minutes or so. You can use plastic disposable shower caps from the dollar store to cover the hair, or just use plastic wrap. If you have the time, heat the hair up a bit on low heat with a blow dryer, the hair will not dry out since it's under plastic.

Without rinsing, comb through each section of hair with the nit comb. This could take an hour or two, depending on the length of your kid's hair. You can add conditioner to make it easier. Then rinse well, and repeat every day for two weeks.

The Listerine kills all the live lice, but eggs hatch every day so you have to stay on top of it for two weeks. It gets easier every day since most of them are gone the first time. It goes without saying that towels should be used only once then washed in hot water, and the plastic wrap or shower caps should be tossed every time.

Lice hate Pantene and Head and Shoulders, so using one of those to regularly wash your kid's hair is a good preventative measure.

Last edited: