Need help safeguarding cat door for baby to prevent injuries.

TatianaC

Dont forget to smile :)
Kitten
Purraise
5836D6CF-633B-4523-A928-89B6D10AAEFE.png
What would you do to protect baby from jamming her hands in 2 way cat door? I am looking for ideas how to baby safe guard the cat door without any new doors or new installations. Family doesnt want new doors but I want to do something to the door itself. When she sticks her hand there cat door closes and she cant take her hand out and hurting I twice removed her hand from there when I heard her cry and saw her hand was jammed.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like the door can pop on and off. Can they affix a flexible rubber door during the day?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Alternatively, using a baby gate of sorts to keep the I can't from the room the cat door is in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TatianaC

Kitten
Purraise
It looks like the door can pop on and off. Can they affix a flexible rubber door during the day?
I am not sure what you mean? Can you explain please what you have in mind?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure what you mean? Can you explain please what you have in mind?
The door in the photo looks like a hard stiff plastic.

If the door was replaced with something flexible, say flexible like a silicone baking mat or a car floor mat, it wouldn't hurt the baby when they stuck their hand through and pulled back. I would still expect some frustrated crying.
Either a replacement door made out of a similar material or a DIY door.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The door in the photo looks like a hard stiff plastic.

If the door was replaced with something flexible, say flexible like a silicone baking mat or a car floor mat, it wouldn't hurt the baby when they stuck their hand through and pulled back. I would still expect some frustrated crying.
Either a replacement door made out of a similar material or a DIY door.
This is what I would try, too. My cat door is loose rubbery material that is very pliable.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That particular flap is an interior flap so I am assuming it is for litterbox acess not the outdoors. The door can just be poped off and set asside untill she is old enouth to know better than stick her hand in it.

I have the same door on my furnace/utility room.

TatianaC

Kitten
Purraise
That particular flap is an interior flap so I am assuming it is for litterbox acess not the outdoors. The door can just be poped off and set asside untill she is old enouth to know better than stick her hand in it.

Love this idea, thank you. Will check with house owners if they can do this.

TatianaC

Kitten
Purraise

How did you do that? I just looked at the cat door and the installation manual also, it looks like its one piece the frame of the door and the flap, I thought it will be possible to remove the flap thats what you meant, but I dont see its possible.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It should just unscrew from the door with four screws, one at each corner. The back plate is attached with stickytape and can stay on, the front screws on with four screws.

The door can then be just pushed out of the holes and the frame screwed back on.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it's the same one as in the photo, it looks like it just pops off. It just slides in firmly to the notches.