Need help putting weight on very fussy persian

jess2438

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, a friend passed away recently and I am taking care of her persian cats right now. One came with a very bad sinus infection and was extremely skinny and dehydrated. We have cleared up her sickness but I can't get any weight back on her. I have her on a 80% meat with no grains or gluten dry food but no matter what she will not touch any wet food. Her appitite is great, eats and drink lots, she is not lathargic or anything like that. Any tricks out there on how to get her fattened up?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, if you can't get her to eat anything but dry food, that's gonna be an issue.  You can see if she'll eat a cooked egg, you can even cook it in a little butter.  If that doesn't work, maybe she'll eat just an boiled egg yolk?  Egg yolks are extremely healthy and very good calories for cats, but like I said, if they like kibble, it may be hard to get them to eat them.  You can even feed them raw as long as you don't mix them with the whites that way. 

Maybe she'd eat it mixed in with her kibble

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jess2438

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! Will give it a try :)

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Kibble actually will put weight on a  cat better than dry food.  It is calorically denser.  If the cat is eating quality kibble and drinks well, I wouldn't worry, especially in the short term. in fact, you're probably better of not changing foods for a while, IMO, given that the cat is probably already at her limit for stress from having been sick and losing her person.

Still, if you are determined to add in wet food, maybe a topper like bonito flakes or Purina FortiFlora would help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jess2438

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok she is on a very good dry food, I can't remember the brand name off the top of my head but it's 80% meat with zero grains/gluten.