Need Help Please!!!!!!!

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I am concerned for my cat and need some advice. This is long but I've tried to include everything I can remember. Please someone help me figure out the next step to take....

Three weeks ago, I noticed Gigi had some sore spots around her neck and a dirty, itchy ear. We made a vet appointment. She had an ear infection, which they cleaned out, and was then on 10 days (accidently did 11..vet said this is OK) of ear drops. She was also given an antibiotic injection for the sores. They did a ringworm test, a mange test, and did a blood panel and urinalysis. All came back OK, so we thought that maybe she and my other cat got into a bad fight...

Okay, so fast-forward... Gigi has been off the antibiotic ear drops and her hair was growing back and she was acting normal. Then we had this two day period where I had to put her and my other cat in my room during the day, because maintenance required it at my apartment complex. It's a decent sized room, and they've been in that situation before, so while there was some stress I didn't see it as high stress.

On these days she threw up each night. Mind you, she tends to be a bit barfy----she is 13 and has been her whole life. (1-2 times per month. Maybe 3 in a bad month.) She ended up throwing up 4 days in a row. She also started itching her ears a bit again. She also stopped eating. After 2 days of no food, I picked up Hills A/D. She ate maybe a table spoon worth. After three days I took her back to the vet. This was yesterday. The gave her fluids. They also examined her ears--no sign of infection coming back. Vet feeling her belly and bladder says it feels fine. However she has lost one pound (now 8.5, down from 9.3 three weeks ago). They gave her a steroid shot as well. Vet suggested some other Hills bland foods, but to be honest, she has never liked pates, and I don't think these are nice quality foods. (She is currently eating a rotation of tiki cat, and weruva).

So last night we get home and close to bed time she throws up. I think this was my fault, I was giving the other cat some treats, and offered some to Gigi. She has not eaten since.

She has pooped once this entire time (last night), and she has peed 1-2 times per day, even if it was very little. She is acting fairly normal.

She will eat Costco rotisserie chicken in small amounts, and some cheddar cheese. I can't entice her to eat it mixed into foods. I have also tried two new canned foods, but she didn't like either. I have put out a variety of foods each day for her. I have added more water dishes throughout the house.

I am talking with my vet, but they are at somewhat at a loss too. They said the next steps would be:
if by tomorrow she doesn't eat (need to give the steroid shot 48 Hours) we should consider:
--appetite stimulant
--anti-naseaus shot
--bland Hills foods
--force feed with a syringe

Here are my concerns:
--I think she may have a bit of an allergy to her food. It is almost all chicken. I am wanting to try some different brands, but am struggling to decide what to get. I do not want her to have GMO, BPA, grains, carrageen, etc. In other words, I want top quality canned food. She has a history of UTI, so fish is out, and so is dry food. I am curious to try rabbit, venison, kangaroo even... not sure what will be too rich, and not sure what brands to purchase. I was also thinking maybe some people/baby food so maybe she will at least eat something.

--She is going to get dehydrated again.... she does especially poorly during vet visits. I think it's actually adding to her stress. Thoughts on a mobile vets?

--At what point do I start giving her other injections and medicines? I feel I should try different types of food first. And what should those foods be?

--I have to go out of town in a couple weeks and am losing my mind over this.

THANK YOU! I feel like I'm 10 steps away from entering a full panic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They did that three weeks ago and all was typical for her.

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I can summarize:

your cat had an ear infection and sores, which were treated successfully. She spends a couple of days sequestered with your other cat, and becomes sick again. Your other cat has no problems with vomiting, but Gigi does. Now she won’t eat at all.

It strikes me that you have to control for one variable at a time. It may be that she indeed has an allergy, or at the very least, a sensitive GI tract. Regardless, I’d put her on a strict diet with food like Hills Prescription Diet, with no access to the other cat’s food (or feed them the same thing). It has an entire line of food devoted to food sensitivities and allergies. My cat had a bowel resection and is extremely sensitive. (He recently didn’t eat for the better part of two weeks, but that’s another story. ;) )Anyway, I feed him Hills and he does well. He’s also a barfer, in part because he’s quite furry, and in part because of his sensitive GI tract. I give him laxatone everyday.

I wonder if she’s becoming a little food-adverse because of all the dietary changes. I would control the diet first. Then, I would use an appetite stimulant. To syringe feed her now would be premature, in my view.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious. What exactly did the maintenance men do and what chemicals were used when they did it?

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I can summarize:

your cat had an ear infection and sores, which were treated successfully. She spends a couple of days sequestered with your other cat, and becomes sick again. Your other cat has no problems with vomiting, but Gigi does. Now she won’t eat at all.

It strikes me that you have to control for one variable at a time. It may be that she indeed has an allergy, or at the very least, a sensitive GI tract. Regardless, I’d put her on a strict diet with food like Hills Prescription Diet, with no access to the other cat’s food (or feed them the same thing). It has an entire line of food devoted to food sensitivities and allergies. My cat had a bowel resection and is extremely sensitive. (He recently didn’t eat for the better part of two weeks, but that’s another story. ;) )Anyway, I feed him Hills and he does well. He’s also a barfer, in part because he’s quite furry, and in part because of his sensitive GI tract. I give him laxatone everyday.

I wonder if she’s becoming a little food-adverse because of all the dietary changes. I would control the diet first. Then, I would use an appetite stimulant. To syringe feed her now would be premature, in my view.
Yes, that summarizes it! Sorry I rambled...
so we have one more day to see if the steroid kicks in. If not we will have to decide what to do next. She had tried the hills and refused to eat it. I went to the store tonight after this post and picked out different kinds of foods. I'm going to try one tonight... I don't want to bombard her with tons of new foods, but it seems that as she is interested in rotisserie chicken and cheese, but not her regular food I need to try something new.

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious. What exactly did the maintenance men do and what chemicals were used when they did it?
That's the most frustrating part--they didn't even come in. Apparently residents complained and so they didn't do the safety inspections... which stresses me out in a whole new way. I didn't find out till I called and asked about it the second night, after I notified the ac filter wasn't changed.

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that summarizes it! Sorry I rambled...
so we have one more day to see if the steroid kicks in. If not we will have to decide what to do next. She had tried the hills and refused to eat it. I went to the store tonight after this post and picked out different kinds of foods. I'm going to try one tonight... I don't want to bombard her with tons of new foods, but it seems that as she is interested in rotisserie chicken and cheese, but not her regular food I need to try something new.
No apologies necessary! I just wanted to be sure I was focusing on the right parts.

Are you giving her an appetite stimulant? Consistent diet with an appetite stimulant may go a long way.

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No apologies necessary! I just wanted to be sure I was focusing on the right parts.

Are you giving her an appetite stimulant? Consistent diet with an appetite stimulant may go a long way.

The steroid shot she was given yesterday has an effect of increased appetite, so the vet and I decided to give that 48 hours. We have about 19 more hours then. If not I'm going to go in and pick up the appetite stimulant.

Tonight I gave her some chicken baby food which she ate after awhile. I gave her a bit more and then some food I picked up today. I've been consistently giving her food (her usual) but she's so against it now. The vet recommended hills which she wouldn't eat... so I want to be consistent but need to figure out if there is any brand or type of meat she'll eat at all. :/ I'm just feeling so stressed over this... trying not to make things worse for her... :(

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The steroid shot she was given yesterday has an effect of increased appetite, so the vet and I decided to give that 48 hours. We have about 19 more hours then. If not I'm going to go in and pick up the appetite stimulant.

Tonight I gave her some chicken baby food which she ate after awhile. I gave her a bit more and then some food I picked up today. I've been consistently giving her food (her usual) but she's so against it now. The vet recommended hills which she wouldn't eat... so I want to be consistent but need to figure out if there is any brand or type of meat she'll eat at all. :/ I'm just feeling so stressed over this... trying not to make things worse for her... :(
I know how stressful it is, I really do--especially when everything you try doesn’t seem to work. Hang in there!

The vet gave her a shot of prednisone, or was it something else? I know the appetite stimulant (which is actually an anti-depressant) is administered every 48 hours. Does she seem to want to eat, sniff the food, and then walk away, or does she have no interest in food? Clancy was the former--sniffing and walking away, which apparently indicates nausea or indigestion.

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know how stressful it is, I really do--especially when everything you try doesn’t seem to work. Hang in there!

The vet gave her a shot of prednisone, or was it something else? I know the appetite stimulant (which is actually an anti-depressant) is administered every 48 hours. Does she seem to want to eat, sniff the food, and then walk away, or does she have no interest in food? Clancy was the former--sniffing and walking away, which apparently indicates nausea or indigestion.
To be honest I don't know the name of the steroid. I have it on her paperwork but can't access it right now. She will eat small amounts of Costco rotisserie chicken, and some cheddar cheese from my hand. She does so with enthusiasm. She also ate the treats willingly last night. She'll sniff her food and walk away. It may be a weird hunger strike that kind of got out of control.

kittycity16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An update... she ate dinner last night. It wasn't a lot of food but it was something. She didn't eat much of the food I gave her for breakfast today however.