Need Help Pleas

Angelinaqueen39020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:purr:Hello, I’m in need of help. I have a 8 month old orange tabby cat named dragon ^My profile picture is him. And he always wants to go outside I’ve open the door, but he only steps outside the front porch and sometimes explores the grass. But I can’t let him out on his own without my supervision because there’s too many strays, and I don’t want him to get in a fight. I bought a harness but whenever, I put it on him and take him outside he screams bloody murder. Can someone pleas tell me, how do I stop this problem thanks!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are many articles online about how to train your cat to walk on a leash. The first step is usually to have him wear the harness inside for short periods of time while offering good things like treat and toys, then progress to wearing it longer periods of time, and finally going outside.

Here's an article that covers it step-by-step:
Train your cat to walk on a leash – Adventure Cats

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At his young age, and being normally an indoor cat, outside would be dangerous for him, depending on your area. I wouldn't want to just let him run free either.

Cat harness are good, maybe practice inside for a while, before outdoors?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about a pet stroller instead of a leash and harness?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat taht would just fall over and lay there fro a long time every time I put the harness on. I just let her lay there to get used to it. She eventually got used to it, but it took daily applications and many weeks. She eventually absolutely loved her 'walks'. Your little boy just needs a lot of time, he is adorable by the way. You are right to not want him out, between strays, dogs and cars it is much too dangerous out there, i have many little graves that say so.
Just be firm, put on the harness in the house until he ignores it, and you will be fine!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Consider yourself blessed if kitty becomes an indoor cat . Most of the dangers to cats happen outside . If he's neutered the urge to wanderlust may soon leave him.
Kitty is lucky to have you ! Good luck ...
:petcat: