Need Help On Re-introduction!

Carrie2281

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Cali, our resident cat, is a female just over a year. She tried to play so much with my dog (which wants nothing to do with it) that we adopted another kitten. Zoe is a 4 month female. I did tons of research before this and did the slow introduction process. Although there was hissing and growling initially, I was surprised to find they became friends relatively quickly. (Two weeks.) They wrestled all the time and groomed each other. Then one day Cali (older cat) hissed at Zoe and it went downhill from there. Long story short, they were seperated and Cali had to be hospitalized for a high fever. The cause still pretty much unknown. Both have all shots and have been to the vet. After letting Cali come home and get back to normal I tried to start the introduction process again. (They haven’t seen each other for some time.)
Cali is having NONE OF IT. She aggressively hisses and swats on the bedroom we keep the kitten in. I had to buy a draft stopper for under the door to completely close it. I have Feliway, am doing the feedings outside the door, scent swapping, and giving each individual attention. But she won’t get over her scent and even hisses at me when I come back from playing with Zoe. It’s exhausting and I feel so bad for both of them.
I know patience is a virtue but I’m seeing no improvement with Cali and am desperate for any advice!
Thank you again!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! This is something we see fairly often in cats, where one doesn’t recognize the other because of all the unfamiliar scents of the vet’s office. I’ll link you to a terrific article that explains this in more detail and gives some great tips. :)

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carrie2281

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! But this behavior started well before the hospitalization. She may be attributing the sickness to Zoe. Either way, I know a lot of these problems are dealt with in the same way so thank you for sharing. I was just getting frustrated and sad for them!