Need Help Introducing Cats With A Huge Age Gap

Joealexie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 year old cat and I brought in a 3 week old kitten? I currently have the kitten in her own room, away from my cat. I know the introduction process might be different because of the age gap. Im aware the kitten is still not in full control of her motor skills. Do i just keep the kitten in separate room until she's old enough to interact with the older cat? And in the meantime swipe items for them to get familiar to their scent?

P.s. my cat is up-to-date with her shots and what not

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For now, yes, keep them separate. Once the kitten is quite a bit older, then introduce them as you would any two strange cats. Of course, doing the scent-swapping now, from day one, is giving you an enormous head start on things. You indicated that your older cat is a female? If I read that right, you might, under very strict supervision, try an early introduction. The nurturing instinct is quite high in queens, even in some spayed queens, and she may take this little one
under her wing...um, paw. As I said, though, strict supervision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joealexie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For now, yes, keep them separate. Once the kitten is quite a bit older, then introduce them as you would any two strange cats. Of course, doing the scent-swapping now, from day one, is giving you an enormous head start on things. You indicated that your older cat is a female? If I read that right, you might, under very strict supervision, try an early introduction. The nurturing instinct is quite high in queens, even in some spayed queens, and she may take this little one
under her wing...um, paw. As I said, though, strict supervision.
Thanks, I will give it a try in a day or two and see if she accepts the kitten

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll be crossing my fingers! If she does, that will help avoid a lot of issues that kittens who are orphaned young have. They don't really learn how to "cat" properly! Keep me posted! If there are issues, I'll try to find answers for you as they come up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joealexie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll be crossing my fingers! If she does, that will help avoid a lot of issues that kittens who are orphaned young have. They don't really learn how to "cat" properly! Keep me posted! If there are issues, I'll try to find answers for you as they come up.
My older cat tolerates the kitten, but she's still kinda uneasy around her. She doesn't hiss as much as before but she'll will hiss when the kitten is too close. I tried starting feeding my older cat (her favorite food) on the other side of the door of the room the kitten is staying, but she started covering her food up(like when they are covering their poop in the litter box). But once I moved her food to the usual place I serve her food , she started eating like nothing. Overall i believe the scent swapping has helped my older cat to tolarate the kitten, but she's slightly uneasy.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just creep the food dish towards the door very slowly day by day. You have to kinda sneak things up on cats.