Need help introducing 3 kittens to unfriendly adult cat

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Over the summer, I rescued 3 kittens from 3 different litters and up until last month they have been closed off in a room separate from my resident adult cat. My adult cat is a neutered 5 year old male and the kittens are 5-6 months old. The kittens get along great with each other. My adult cat has been an “only child” his entire life.

The situation is very complicated, I am abroad and did not plan to integrate so many new cats into my family but I am currently in a country where there are no shelters, abysmal pet resources and few people interested in responsible pet ownership. So surrendering or adopting out the kittens is not an option, the unfortunate reality is that they would end up back on the street. I am planning to foster for the long term (or adopt).

I don’t know how to make the cat introductions/integration work well because my adult cat seems uninterested in meeting the kittens unless forced to, I’ve done all of the usual slow-introduction things such as letting them meet through the door, scent swapping, putting the kittens in carriers and giving him access to their room. He is uninterested in meeting them, he avoids their blankets etc., if I put treats in front of their door, he won’t eat them. Feliway is not available to me.

Recently the kittens have gotten better at escaping their room and he was forced to meet them a few times. It was OK, he didn’t approach and watched from afar. However if any of the kittens got too close, he would hiss at them. On a couple occasions, he threw up immediately after from the stress. I want to avoid stressing him out of course.

Any advice or out-of-the-box ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Timeline:
July-September: Rescued kittens, integrated them with each other in separate room
Early October: Sterilized all
Mid-late October: Started introductions

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What does your resident cat like to do? How's his solo play sessions going?

Can you bring one kitten out, play with it while he supervises?

Can he go in your room and you release the kittens for a couple hours (site swapping).

Do you have something like a thundershirt or light weighted lap blanket that you could use with him for 15 minutes or so before intros? And then maybe for 5 min or so after.

Ditch any efforts to feed him alongside the kittens. Doesn't work in a lot of homes until comfort levels are built.

Is your home set in a way where you can move the gate outwards a bit? For example during intros I could slowly increase the kitten's space such as giving them hallway access and then giving them the hallway and 2 bedrooms.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Maybe, as inferred above, try introducing him to just one kitten. The idea of three of them might just be overwhelming him. It can be a different kitten each time. Perhaps, you will see him react more positively to one of them and that would start the 'acceptance' process.

Does he have high perches that he likes where you could place him there to watch you interact with just one kitten at a time? Places that are not yet that easily accessible to the kittens, or where you could at least keep them from trying to reach him?

Right now, he just needs to get used to the idea of the kittens being around, as opposed to being 'up close and personal' with them. I think you are in for a long haul in terms of him adapting. Don't be discouraged by it, it would seem to be logical with him being a solo cat for all of his life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does your resident cat like to do? How's his solo play sessions going?

Can you bring one kitten out, play with it while he supervises?

Can he go in your room and you release the kittens for a couple hours (site swapping).

Do you have something like a thundershirt or light weighted lap blanket that you could use with him for 15 minutes or so before intros? And then maybe for 5 min or so after.

Ditch any efforts to feed him alongside the kittens. Doesn't work in a lot of homes until comfort levels are built.

Is your home set in a way where you can move the gate outwards a bit? For example during intros I could slowly increase the kitten's space such as giving them hallway access and then giving them the hallway and 2 bedrooms.
My resident cat’s favorite hobby is eating :biggrin: His solo play sessions are going fine, it was very hot here until recently so he has a bit more energy now.

I can definitely try bringing out one kitten at a time and bringing him into the kitten room while the kittens are out and about! Should I just pick him up and him in the room? He won’t go in if his own accord, regardless of whether the kittens are physically there (I had them all at the vet for a day, left the door open all day and he never even approached it).

I don’t have a lap blanket or anything, but he’s not much of a cuddler. His love language is food

I can’t move the gate gradually at all :( Apartment is very “open floor” so it’s basically just 2 big rooms.

Thank you for your helpful thoughts!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Maybe, as inferred above, try introducing him to just one kitten. The idea of three of them might just be overwhelming him. It can be a different kitten each time. Perhaps, you will see him react more positively to one of them and that would start the 'acceptance' process.

Does he have high perches that he likes where you could place him there to watch you interact with just one kitten at a time? Places that are not yet that easily accessible to the kittens, or where you could at least keep them from trying to reach him?

Right now, he just needs to get used to the idea of the kittens being around, as opposed to being 'up close and personal' with them. I think you are in for a long haul in terms of him adapting. Don't be discouraged by it, it would seem to be logical with him being a solo cat for all of his life.
Hi! Yes, one kitten at a time makes sense— sometimes the three of them overwhelm me too :lol:

Should I bring the three of them out, one at a time, each day? Or perhaps a different kitten per day? I don’t want to stress him out

He naturally goes for the high perches when the kittens are out, he usually sits on his favorite cat tower but the kittens can reach him there. He also likes to sit on our kitchen counters and so far the kittens aren’t able to jump up to that.

Yes, I suspect successful introductions will take a long time as he’s always been my spoiled only child :)

Thank you for the advice!!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My resident cat’s favorite hobby is eating :biggrin: His solo play sessions are going fine, it was very hot here until recently so he has a bit more energy now.

I can definitely try bringing out one kitten at a time and bringing him into the kitten room while the kittens are out and about! Should I just pick him up and him in the room? He won’t go in if his own accord, regardless of whether the kittens are physically there (I had them all at the vet for a day, left the door open all day and he never even approached it).

I don’t have a lap blanket or anything, but he’s not much of a cuddler. His love language is food

I can’t move the gate gradually at all :( Apartment is very “open floor” so it’s basically just 2 big rooms.

Thank you for your helpful thoughts!!
Yes bring him in and give a very high reward treat. Something like a Churu if it's available to you.

A weighted lap blanket is a small blanket that contains beads and is about 3 to 5 lbs. It's not something you use to cuddle a cat it's something you would lay on top of him. The weight makes pressure which helps to reset his nerves. Amazon is about the only place I can find them in my country....but perhaps you can find something similar. Amazon.ca

I would just start with one per day. Him going up high is good. Just allow that. He can observe from there and learn the kitten's body language.