Need help identifying kitten's breed.

Gentium

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. This is Archibald, he is almost two months old. Friend gave him to me two weeks ago, after his cat (which is purebred RB) gave birth. We don't know which breed his father is tho. Archi is so playfull and loves being around me all the time. Would like to know what are your thoughts about his breed, thanks:)
IMG_20210523_054740.jpg
IMG_20210523_054347.jpg
IMG_20210523_052014.jpg
IMG_20210523_051941.jpg

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its prob too early to say much what look alike he is. Many kittens have the looks of teddy bear as small kittens, and mature out of it later on.

IF momma IS a purebred Russian Blue, he will be per definition, a half RB... But what look alike, and therefore, what looks his dad may have, is next question...

IS he bluish, or is he brownish as on some pics?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very cute! :redheartpump: You picked a perfect name for him, too.

From these pictures, I would describe Archibald as a blue domestic longhair. Most cats aren't any particular breed, so if the father is unknown, it's most likely that the father was not any specific breed.

As far as what the dad would have looked like, we can't really tell from looking at your kitten. We know that dad carried the recessive genes for solid color (non-tabby), and dilute (blue), but that doesn't tell us what dad looked like. We also know that both dad and mom would have carried the recessive longhair gene. Does his mom have pedigree papers, or did someone guess she was Russian Blue from her looks? It's possible that a pedigreed Russian Blue mother could carry the longhair gene, but it's not very likely.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t have anything else to add on, but I just want to stop by and say that Archibald is adorable! I want to hug him through the screen.
:petcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gentium

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its prob too early to say much what look alike he is. Many kittens have the looks of teddy bear as small kittens, and mature out of it later on.

IF momma IS a purebred Russian Blue, he will be per definition, a half RB... But what look alike, and therefore, what looks his dad may have, is next question...

IS he bluish, or is he brownish as on some pics?
Yep, he is bluish:) His brownish look is caused by bad lighting and picture quality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gentium

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's very cute! :redheartpump: You picked a perfect name for him, too.

From these pictures, I would describe Archibald as a blue domestic longhair. Most cats aren't any particular breed, so if the father is unknown, it's most likely that the father was not any specific breed.

As far as what the dad would have looked like, we can't really tell from looking at your kitten. We know that dad carried the recessive genes for solid color (non-tabby), and dilute (blue), but that doesn't tell us what dad looked like. We also know that both dad and mom would have carried the recessive longhair gene. Does his mom have pedigree papers, or did someone guess she was Russian Blue from her looks? It's possible that a pedigreed Russian Blue mother could carry the longhair gene, but it's not very likely.
Hey thanks for the answer:) Yes, she has pedigree papers. I guess I'll wait a little bit, maybe 3-4 months and then I'll post his pics here. Can't wait.