Need Help! Erythrocytosis (overproduction Of Red Blood Cells)

mom2morgan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with this? Here is a post I put on my own Facebook - no one has any answers.
Our 11 year old cat, Taboo, is over-producing red blood cells. this became apparent when he had several seizures one morning. They've been treating with weekly phlebotomies to get it under control. It's not working as a permanent solution, although he is his old self again and seems quite happy. The next step is a medication called Hyrdroxyurea. It's apparently quite toxic, so we would need to handle it (and all his waste/body fluids) with rubber gloves and dispose of everything in sealed bags. I'm wiling to do that to an extent if it keeps him healthy - but this drug scares me, and you know what it is like to give a cat pills. We've already spent about $1500 on him so I hate to give up now, but this will be an ongoing expense as he will continue to need blood work (although the frequency will reduce over time). I have no idea what to do, and can't find anyone with any experience!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi mom2morgan and welcome to the forum !

Erythrocytosis is also known as polycythemia - perhaps that's why you're getting nowhere with your search.

There are some 45 references to that here on this forum.....just use the "Search" function bar at the top of the page and search for "polycythemia".

The most recent is only 2 months old.....a new member posted their story in an old thread and the person with the previous experience replied.....I'll give you that link to start: Feline Polycythemia Vera

Perhaps if you were to also try FB again with "polycythemia", you might find others.

Hope this helps !