Need Help Determining How Far Along My Cat Is.

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I live in the country in a farm. Unfortunately I always have stray cats showing up, or people dropping them off. Not sure which. I have 1 male and 1 female cat of my own, both fixed, inside. On May 22nd I had a long haired cat show up at my house. Her belly was visibly a little rounded, her nipples were pink and and kinda swollen. I immediately knew she was pregnant. I've got 6 kids, who like myself, love animals. So, we brought her inside out of the heat. She looks to be about a year old. Kinda small, with tons of long hair. I posted all over Facebook and tried to find an owner but no one has claimed her. We got her cleaned up and got rid of the fleas she had. We've been feeding her dry kitten food, and also canned food for extra nutrition. She is very sweet and loves my kids! So, it's been 24
0614171402-1.jpg
received_170928083445080.jpeg
days since she showed up and we brought her inside. Her belly is huge now, and I can feel and see the kittens moving like crazy. I'm just trying to figure out a time frame for delivery. I know it's not exact, and it's hard to tell since she was already pregnant when she showed up. But, I'm hoping you guys can tell me how far along she may be. Thank you for any advice you can give. P.s. she will be getting spayed after she has the kittens, and will have a forever home here with us. The kittens will also have a spay/neuter contract before going to their new homes!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is just beautiful! :redheartpump:

Thank you for caring for her and giving her a good home. :)

How long have you been seeing and feeling kitten movement. Once you can do that it is usually 2-3 more weeks.

The tummy gets harder and tighter towards the end too.

Since she was already showing (5 weeks) when you got her, and it's been 24 days, I would guess she has 7 to 10 days left at most.

Keep us posted! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeling them for the last week or more. Her behavior seems to be normal. Other than she wobbles when she walks now lol, and lays down a lot more than before. She didn't eat all of her canned food today, which isn't normal but the day isn't over yet so she still has time. I'll definitely keep you updated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be closer than we think!

Her tummy is quite large, so her insides are squeezed and she may not be able to hold as much food all at once anymore. :)

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she was super close her nipples would be bigger than they are now right? Or have milk? The don't seem any bigger than they were when she first showed up. I tried to see if she had discharge but she doesn't want me looking all up in her lady parts right now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not necessarily. Many cats' milk does not let down until after delivery, so the nipples may not look much different. I find that the nipples stay fairly small and it's the mammaries that get baggy with milk once it comes in.

You may want to trim some fur from around her nipples - carefully.

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you. I was wondering about the hair around her nipples. I'll do that this evening. I'm so nervous for her. My vet does know she's expecting though, so if there are any difficulties she will be available. I'll post frequently to keep you updated. Thank you for your help.

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update... No real change. She seems to be grooming herself a little more than normal but that's about it.

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update...still no change. Other than she keeps getting bigger, even when I don't think that's possible lol. Really thought she would have had them by now. We'd had her 34 days and she was already showing when she showed up. :/

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I felt that way with my cat too. Yours is very close, I'm sure, though waiting is no fun!

Thanks for the update. :)

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad you've taken her in and are being such a good caregiver for her :rock:!

I'm betting she'll deliver any day! Perhaps any moment!! She sure looks (and sounds) ready!

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had 4 kittens. Overall it went very well. They are all about the same size, no real runts. The calico came out breech and was completely purple. But, after rubbing it quite hard, it meowed and got its color back. Mom is up and eating this morning and very protective of her babies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How wonderful you were able to save the calico baby.

Pictures when you get a chance! :)

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had them on my daughter's bed. She crawled up next to her (she's 11) and pushed out the first kitten before my daughter even knew. She looked down and yelled MOMMMMM lol. I just moved mom and babies to a clean basket with a heating pad and blanket. But she keeps taking them out and moving them right back on top of my daughter's bed where she had them. Not sure what I should do because the bed really isn't safe. There's a drop off and I don't want the kittens falling while we aren't in there.